The XBox 360 Failure Rate Poll

I know there has been a ton of discussion on this in the other thread, but I don’t see any polls here on the subject. I don’t know about you, but I’d love to see some data to go alongside the anecdotal evidence, even if it is of arguable statistical significance.

So, let’s see some stats people.

There’s been a poll. Let me search for it…

Eh, let’s have a fresh one with some timings and numbers.

True. The old poll is now out of date.

Launch box had to be replaced within the month. Then we had to replace that one a few months ago. Lamers.

I had two OOB failures (both HDD faults, from the same bundle). My third console didn’t come from the Gears bundle.

If anyone is interested, we’ve had chiQ running a survey at NZGames

Hooray, my Xbox 360 has only died once!

Yeah, there are other 360 death polls here, but I know in a lot of cases people need to vote differently now – I know I’ve voted “My Xbox 360 works fine/never died” in previous polls.

My friend’s first Wii was faulty, and his replacement one is starting to get disc read crash errors.

I know four people who have 360s, one was exchanged for a new unit due to chronic disc reading problems.

I’ve never met someone who bought a PS3.

You don’t have a “Over a year and it crashes frequently, but not enough to send it in” option.

A clarification of my vote: I haven’t had a fatal failure, but I’ve had a bunch of occasional minor glitches, just not enough to risk getting a refurb that’s even worse.

Have had it for well over a year and have never had a problem. As mentioned above, I’ve of course had some game crashes but I’ve normally chalked that up to software in need of patching (Oblivion used to crash on me quite a bit initially. Now is entirely solid).

Technically, my 360 has died once.

Another time, I sent it in to have the intermittent Disk Read Error fixed. Which the utterly failed to do. And now my Elite has a bum HDMI port, though I blame that on the lightning that also took out the HDMI port on the TV.

You shouldn’t have added a shit bonerz option. Oh well.

Mine failed one year and three months in - random DREs, some disc scratching (rendered one game unplayable), and then it started red-lighting and “checkerboarding” the display.

Mine never scratched a disk or had any noticable problems until the dreaded day when it went to 3RL heaven.

You don’t get an easy way of always having the results displayed if you haven’t voted, and people like clicking things so I think a shit bonerz option was necessary.

So if I’m doing this right, of the 57 people that have responded thus far (not including shit bonerz), 26 are on their second, and even third xboxen, while 31 have yet to recieve the joys of the rings of death. That’s approximately 46% of the qt3 thrixty population that replaced their system. But me and numbers have never got along very well so I may be completely wrong about that.

Yep. My vote has changed since the last one.

Mine too…

But let it be known, that it made it Over a year of use, from a ‘launch’ (December) unit. And I didn’t get 3 red lights… Apparently, plugging it in through a surge protector somehow fucks up its surge protection, and it died?

I dunno. Jamal told me that was my problem.

Or was it Larry? I dunno. Spoke to 2 different people. Both were quite nice.

But let it be known, that it made it Over a year of use, from a ‘launch’ (December) unit. And I didn’t get 3 red lights… Apparently, plugging it in through a surge protector somehow fucks up its surge protection, and it died?

What I was told was that the 360 has a built in surge protector and that plugging it into an external surge protector could cause the unit to not recieve enough power. What I want to know is what happens when that surge protector gets hosed in a lightning strike. Is MS gonna replace it for you?