The XBox 360 Failure Rate Poll

My guess would be no. I wasn’t told that it wasn’t getting power. I’d’ve remembered that. I think he said that it was ‘over-protecting’, and therefore causing the surge to surge itself? I don’t even know. It was ridiculous, but my current 360 isn’t plugged into the surge protector anymore. Now, it gets its own little plug, therefore negating out my ability to have a stereo in my room. grumble

self-selecting polls for the loss!

Virtually all polls are self-selecting, and it isn’t like anyone is using this poll data as part of his thesis in any case.

Self-selected polls and anecdotal stories aside, does anyone actually believe the the 360 failure rate is anywhere near 3% anymore? Because I don’t. There is one entity that could come forward and give us exact numbers and a percentage of units sold through vs units returned for repair, but whenever you ask them a straight question on the subject they fall back on say-nothing defensive talking points… for some reason.

Mine didn’t technically die, but it had such a problem with crashing that I had to send it in. So I voted as a one-timer.

maybe someone should do a non-slim, fat brick ps2 failure rate poll for comparison to account for the “self-selecting” factor.

My old-style PS2 died eventually but it was like 4 years after I bought it which seems far more acceptable to me (though still non-ideal).

How is it self-selecting, besides the fact that 80% of the participants have a xbox360?

I don’t have one, so I selected the SB option.

100-ish votes in, here’s the simplified, bonerz-adjusted tally:

Someone just needs to poll the UPS guys. Mine said, “Here’s your 360!” when he delivered the repaired unit. Apparently, this week was return your 360 week. Last week was coffin week.

So no matter what the source, anecdotal evidence everywhere suggests a 30%+ failure rate. Jesus.

I wonder at what point does the amount of time you play it factor into its likely demise? An hour a day? Two hours a day?

XFlop 3-Shitty fanboys like to say people with broken consoles are more likely to vote; people with working consoles, supposedly, are less likely to vote. Why this argument should make any sense is a mystery to me. I mean, working or not it’s just a click; not much of a barrier to voting.

I was joking about the flame, by the way, guys.

I wonder if there’s any way to track someone’s gamerscore relative to system failures? My first one died at about 15k.

My gamerscore is less than 2k and my original 360 probably only got about 2 hours or so of use per week on average (some big multiple week usage spikes after the release of Gears, etc, and then other weeks where I never touched it). When it actually did die, it hadn’t been turned on at all in probably 2 weeks and was only on for about 15 minutes.

Had my 360 under 6 months, no problems. That said, failure rate among friends of mine is currently sitting at 2/3.

So yeah, as far as I’m concerned, anecdotal evidence says these fuckers die a lot.

And noun, I don’t think it matters. One buddy of mine who’s had 2 360s die on him tends to play binge sessions (i.e. he won’t touch it for 2 weeks, but if we’re playing Gears, he’s on for four hours or more). The other guy I know whose 360 died tends to play very casually. He’ll play Top Spin 2 with his wife for maybe an hour or two, a few nights a week.

Shrug

Ive had it since the febuary after launch, had 2 red ringed 360s since then. I would have to say the numbers from a gaming website are gonna be a little scewed towards failure though considering we might use it more.

I’m not convinced we use it that much more than most, journalists excluded. Teens and kids probably play it more. Posters here have like, families and such.

Mine hasn’t died yet, but I have had slower and slower loading times and more and more lockups so it might not be too far away.

I’m glad the ‘no problems’ people are beating everyone else, but holy crap. 44 out of 107 having to send their 360 in for repairs at least once is a pretty big deal.

*edit: fixed for Nitpicky Joe. :p

No, that’s the number of people. The number of 360’s has to take into account the individual number of breakages in each poll option.

Put another way: 34% failure rate on this board alone! I’m staying far away from this Yugo, this Trabant, of consoles.