The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

HDMI 2.0 already supports 4k60 so that’s not a huge deal but yes, if they ever release TVs that support higher framerates HDMI 2.1 can do that. I wouldn’t expect 8k gaming to take off for at least 4-5 years and the current XboneX hardware won’t be capable of that anyway.

It’s not the higher-resolution potential, it’s adaptive refresh that promises to be really cool in the near future.

Yeah, it’s great that it’s included - I was actually surprised that it was. Microsoft has been doing a great job since the initial Xbox One release, imo.

I’m really, really enjoying a game I never expected on my Xbox One X – Gears of War 3. One a large OLED with 3D, the enhanced version of this 360 game is just wonderful - I tinkered a bit with the 3D games in ps3, but didn’t have a 3D TV at the time they came out (it’s a shame the rereleased version for Uncharted 3 doesn’t support it) and I think the ps3 3D is different than what Epic used for Gears 3 - it’s actually amazing, and adds a lot to the game. It’s like being inside a diorama, and unlike my brief experience with Uncharted 3 3D, the use of the tech doesn’t seem to make the aiming more floaty or precise.

All of the enhanced 360 games have been substantially improved, it seems - Oblivion is great, and now almost looks like what I remember of the PC version. Assassin’s Creed is actually appealing.

I also picked up the xbox one remote - was surprised it wasn’t bluetooth, but it seems to work very well for IR and is really well designed - very comfortable and practical. Really a must have (or something similar) if you’re going to watch blu-rays etc.

edit: also pulled the trigger on a $40 off Xbox One Elite Controller on BF through Dell, so I’m all in on Xbox right now. Figured I could use a 2nd controller anyway, especially if I can entice someone to play some coop gears, etc., so I might as well try the cool customizable one. A lot of reviews seem to comment on the fragility of the the extra switches though? I guess I’ll try to be careful. The better d-pad will help a lot for games like Oblivion.

I got impatient and bought a cheap used 360 to play Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. I will throw it in the trash if they add NG2 BC to Xbone!

I stopped by the MS store in Bellevue Square last night after dinner and they not only had a a couple of Scorpio Editions in stock, but they also had a special deal to get any game free. So I walked out with a Scorpio and a Star Wars BF2 code.

I also got MS Complete for the Scorpio. $40 for two more years of coverage (3 years total), as well as replacing a controller up to two times.

I only have a 1080p plasma, so I’m wondering if it’s still a wise move. I haven’t opened it yet, so I’ll sleep on it.

I’m playing an X1X on a 1080p TV myself, I figure it’s worth it for the performance improvements. Guess we’ll see. Will be nice to have the load screens cut way down in The Witcher 3 at least.

You should have gotten a free copy of PubG too I think

There are some other games which will never hit the BC list. Beatles rock band, ncaa sports games, etc.

I think the PUBG offer starts on the 17th, alas.

Xbox One X is definitely worth it on 1080p. Faster loading, smoother frame rates, better textures on enhanced games, etc. And 4K titles will supersample on 1080p so things look better. I run the one in my office on a 1080p display and it’s clearly better.

As someone who was very negative about the original Xbox One launch/features, I really think Microsoft has hit it out of the park with the Xbox One X (and other changes since the original One launch). This is now my favorite console ever (although I still prefer the exclusive games on the Playstation by a significant margin).

Well, that was a fun weekend.

I woke up Saturday morning, sliced the box open, and set it up. Then promptly had to wait 30 minutes to download the first system update. The wifi was insanely slow. Measuring at 2Mbps slow. That’s .25 megabytes per second.

I spent the next 36 hours going crazy trying to figure out the problem. Did I have a bad wifi antenna on the Xbox One X? No, because I could get it to 200Mbps for a while, and then it would die back down to 2Mbps.

Then, I thought it was something to do with my home security router, which is plugged into my main router (it’s complicated). The thing is, my main router is a Netgear router, and the one Comcast provided for home security is also a Netgear router. When I’d try to log in to the router, it would sometimes say “Netgear Orbis”, but neither of the routers is an Orbis.

I’m talking countless factory resets of the router, multiple downgrades of the router firmware, and searching dozens of forum threads for an answer. I could get it to 200Mbps for a while, and then it would suddenly die back down to 2Mbps.

And then it hit me. I had unplugged the security router for the umpteenth time, but I had my network switch that was connected to my powerline adapters still plugged in. And I was getting the “Netgear Orbis” login still.

One of my damn neighbors put in a powerline network extremely recently, and we were syncing together. I had been trying to log in to their router all that time. And their router was acting as a second NAT that was fucking things up on my network.

Ripped out the powerline adapters and suddenly everything is reporting 200Mbps (that’s like 27.5 megabytes per second).

So, my Xbox One X is not defective. Yes, it’s very fast. I can tell the difference at 1080p. It looks more like a high-end PC than a console, and the frame rates are very high on games that would have to downscale previously.

I don’t think that’s how you math.

It is, actually. Mbps = megabits per second. Eight bits per byte. 2/8 = .25.

Do you live in an apartment, is that why your Powerline adapter synced with your neighbors? That’s scary.

No. In the suburbs. That was so surprising.

I swear it was 25 not .25 when I quoted it. To my defense I’ve been deathly sick for 2 days.

Looks like the X1X patch for The Witcher 3 arrived today, so I’m going to need to look back into playing again. Guess I should carve out a good couple months or so.

Yay!!

Sweet. Been anxious for that. Just checked it out to see if I got the update on the Complete Edition (I did). Noticed there are 4K and Performance modes. Can’t wait to try it out!

Just got my LG 65" OLED B7 TV, so now I’m finally ready for some 4K gaming. But what is the best show case, AC: Origins, or something else?