The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

Does it? I guess I missed that part.

Yes, they said OGXbox games would get 1080p and higher framerates also.

But that’s like upscaled right? There weren’t any 1080P OGXbox games I think?

Look at me, using words like “upscaled”. Some of this crap might be sinking in.

No, they’re talking about running them at real 1080p, not just upscaling to your TV. Emulators can do that. I run Zelda BOTW at 1440p myself.

Sure, but anything that’s not 3D is still going to be upscaled, it’s not like it’s a complete non-issue. Textures won’t magically be higher res than they originally were, which will also mean things like 2D interface elements may be upscaled depending on how they were originally created.

It’s certainly great that it’s running at 1080p, but the results will still vary by art assets and how they’re used in the games.

The IGN link has comparison videos. I think it looks great. Can’t wait to load up CS again.

Completely right, UI will have to be upscaled and textures won’t magically improve in resolution. It’ll just be hella-sharp, like I said.

Doesn’t 8-bit color refer to 8 bits per R/B/G channel? So it’s not 256 unique colors, it would be 256256256 = ~16 million colors. I think that’s what the emulation updates to 10-bit color is referring to.

If they really did mean 8-bit color as 256 unique colors, then 10-bit color wouldn’t be much better at 1024. But 102410241024 = 1 billion colors, which sounds right.

It can refer to either, depending on the context. In computer graphics, it’d refer to the total number of colors. For other kinds of video signals to the bits per channel. The distinction makes sense when you consider how late the concept of fixed color channels became mainstream for computers. Early on it tended to be mostly fixed or variable palettes.

In this particular case they have to mean bits per channel.

If it’s 8bits per channel that’s fine, and 10bit is essentially meaningless except when you start talking about HDR.

I’m sure you’re right, because it’s pretty unbelievable that even the OG Xbox only had 256 colors. The banding would be very noticeable, and while the past has rose-tinted glasses, I think I’d remember if the games looked like Might & Magic 3.

I think the SNES supported around 16k colors, so 256 colors would be near-unwatchable!

Tempted to pick up one, but Amazon no longer doing pre-orders. May try and do through the MS store but I’m sure it won’t be release day pick up. It’s that or a PS4 Pro for Assassin’s Creed goodness. I guess PS4 has the advantage of being available now. MS’ commitment to BC, however, has engendered some good will, what a turnaround from launch!

Perhaps the only reason I would ever buy an Xbox One. I’m still holding out for that PC port Phil said he wanted to do.

(Also not 100% sure it’s internal resolution or just upscaling.)

Just tried Ninja Gaiden Black (Yay Game Pass!) on my work Xbox One (stock launch console). Full-screen 16:9 and the graphics don’t even look really retro – it’s just the large text (to be readable on SD TVs) that gives it away.

That, and the gameplay. I died and I’m all the way back at the beginning of the level? Man, we’re spoiled nowadays by not having to work nearly as hard to get through our games anymore. :)

git

gud

waste

time

toast

bagel

All right, here are some numbers and a video from Digital Foundry -

Something that got my attention - Witcher 3 Novigrad loaf time is 1 m 44 s on vanilla Xbox, 45 s on Xbox One X. Fast travel takes 45 s on vanilla, 19 on the X. That speaks to me.

Just cancelled my pre-order. I have a PS4 pro and a good gaming PC and there aren’t any exclusives that I need this for. I also don’t have a 4K TV so I don’t need the player. I sold my Xbox One original edition to my parents about 6 months ago because I’d never opened it.

Wow, that’s impressive. I always hated how long the load times were on Witcher 3 on Vanilla Xbox One. Even running off an SSD didn’t help all that much.