The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

That’s the limitation of text-based communication, nuance is often lost.

Hilarious non-apology there, not that I particularly care. I just want to stop hearing from you in console-specific threads about how our hardware/visuals/control scheme/whatever is inferior and doesn’t measure up. Toot about that in a PC hardware thread that console players don’t read- it’d be just as off-topic. But you won’t do that because we wouldn’t see your condescension and you wouldn’t get to feel big and strong.

For the record, I never saw stusser’s posts as condescension, just filtered through his knowledge about PC hardware. I never minded it, and always enjoy his insight into console hardware. The parts that didn’t apply to me (“not a real 1080p console because of sub-60fps”) I didn’t mind because I figure there are people out there who are really bothered by playing games at 30fps, even if I’m not one of them.

Another miscommunication! It was not intended to be an apology.

If you don’t want to see my posts you’re out of luck, because we don’t have an ignore function. So basically, deal with it or fuck right off.

@Rock8man: I don’t think you need to run at 60fps to be a “real” 1080p console, but you do need to run most games at 1080p, not 900p or whatever, at locked 30fps at a minimum. Launch Xbone/PS4s can’t do that.

Yeah so how about that Xbox? Some console, huh?

My brother texted me yesterday, asking if I wanted to go to the Xbox One X launch party being held today from 4pm to midnight.

I did a double take. A launch party? For the Xbox One X? Why?

Anyway, I said no thanks. He’ll pick up his XB1X around 11pm. He has a 4k TV now, so hopefully I can go visit him and see the difference.

Cool - I don’t have a 4K tv yet, and probably won’t for some time. Mainly looking for the 1080P and performance improvements. Helped that I had some Amazon credit to burn.

Anyway, looking forward to jumping back into Witcher 3 at least.

Honestly, that improvement on load times for Witcher 3 should prove to be a game-changer, just for that alone. I found the load times in that game so bothersome. It was really beyond reaonableness.

True, but I can’t really tell the difference, honestly. There have been games that I rented for both PS4 and XB1, just to try them out. PS4 version had 1080p, and XB1 had 900p, and I couldn’t tell the difference. So after that I didn’t care.

Count me as another person who simply didn’t mind that the Xbox One / S were technically underpowered. I remember playing Batman: Arkham Knight and being absolutely gobsmacked at how good it looked, only to later browse forums and see people trying to convince me that it was all awful because it was apparently running at 900p instead of 1080p. Same thing with games like Titanfall 2 and Battlefield One - they were so absolutely gorgeous I didn’t mind they were running below native resolution.

Even after I bought a Playstation 4 Pro I still used my Xbox One S as my primary machine since that’s where my friends were and I like the controllers better. The Pro is great for exclusives and whatever is free via PS+, but the Pro upgrades for most games weren’t significant enough to make me change where I bought them.

Also - free Xbox money from Microsoft Rewards makes it more palatable to buy everything digitally anyway.

Also, you guys that still have old Xbox games (or are willing to buy them) should check out how some of that stuff looks now through back compat. One reason I rarely hook up the old PS2 to my HDTV is, despite that I love the way they play, they often look so blurry. But man, KOTOR is a revelation in HD. Some crazy-ass wizardry going on there.

Yeah, I agree. Ninja Gaiden Black actually looked BETTER than how I remembered it looking. That never happens when you normally go back to older games. Their backward compatible stuff looks really good.

Edit: Relevant piece on backwards compatibility in the Digital Foundry XB1X review:

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry review of the console has a lot of interesting things.

I didn’t say it was an apology. It was a classic non-apology ‘I’m sorry you were offended’. It’s just more stupid condescension, really. And I don’t want to put you or anyone on ignore, I just want you to stop shitting up console threads with your bullshit that we’ve heard plenty before.

And hey, I’ll not perfect in this regard. I remember long ago in a few of the boardgame threads here I mentioned how much I hate the BSG game and Sentinels of the Multiverse when they came up. Someone else pointed out that I’d done it a few times and it was kind of a dick thing to do- butting in and shitting on people discussing what made them happy. I realized my behavior was bad, and stopped. Get it?

WE GET IT, YOU DON’T LIKE BSG.

(I kid!)

LOL23

Kind of a restatement from the earlier linked Digital Foundry video, but what the heck:

“In terms of loading times, we saw an extended Witcher 3 load drop from one minute 45 seconds to just 45 seconds - remarkably, Xbox One X shaved off an entire minute. A fast travel jump in the same game also saw loading times drop from 45 seconds on a base Xbox One to just 19 on Xbox One X. The same game also benefitted from an immensely improved visual presentation owing to two factors: that 16x texture filtering boost and fully utilising dynamic resolution scaling. In prior Witcher 3 testing, the title always seemed to resolve to 900p and we could never shift that pixel count - but even without its upcoming X-enhanced patch installed (we’re still waiting for that), the new console delivered a locked 1080p.“

It’s interesting that some games were implemented dynamically like that. So they don’t even need a patch to get to 1080p resolution. DOOM was famously like that on all the platforms, delivery smooth framerate no matter what machine you had, but I had no idea Witcher 3 was implemented like that too on Xbox.

All right sorry, I gotta vent here for a second. My XbonX is in freakin’ Kent right now, I could drive down and grab it, be back home in maybe an hour. But it’s probably going to sit there overnight so I can get a release date delivery. Argh!

arghargharghargh

Uh, I want to see what 4k textures do to this before buying the claim (I’ll be buying the console, as soon as I get a 4k TV - hopefully black friday sales, though I really want a 75" 4k tv, and those still look like they’ll be massively overpriced. Not sure if I’ll wait for super sunday deals next year, or get a 65" model for black friday).