The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

My 360 has been (still is) on a power strip since launch without issues, and so has my Xbox One. Seems like a weird kind of diagnosis. But who knows.

That seems like an old wives’ tale to me. No scientific backing to it.

One other thing I noticed, or at least think I’ve noticed: the little three-note ‘toodle-pip’ sound the Xbox One makes on startup seems like it’s just a touch faster on the One X. I wonder if this was done to kind of subtly indicate the increased power and speed of the X. Or maybe just my imagination.

Also, how could I forget? There’s no power brick on this thing! I imagine everybody already knows this, but it kind of blows my mind!

You’re not even trying, man. I’m in the high 200s. Poor impulse control and external drives FTW!

Probably, but I still had MS tech support telling me that.

Holy crap! You’re just doing that because you can, right? Not that there’s anything wrong with that, if I had a huge external drive I’d probably do the same.

Probably. I hate waiting to install stuff and 4tb drives are pretty affordable now. It was impressive unplugging the drive from my old XB1S and into the XBX and it just worked.

And then Quantum Break wanted to download a 50gb patch.

I plug my consoles into a UPS.

I’ve gone to the @Gordon_Bleu school of console plugging too. I’ve put a UPS on all my current consoles as well as the PCs. That whole plugging into the wall thing seems kind of nutty, but I guess there could be something to it since Microsoft has recommended that in the past.

Hopefully the problems are isolated. It’s good no one here has a problem.

I don’t have any internal knowledge, but my guess is that it’s isolated problems and everyone coalesces into one channel to vent about it. Virtually every product is going to have at least a tiny percentage of out-of-box failures. (Anecdata backed up by the number of recent hardware purchases I’ve made from Amazon where almost all the reviews are five stars, except for a small percentage of one-star reviews where the issue is almost always a DOA or quick death.)

No issues with plugging into a decent power strip. All of my electronics are either on UPSs or surge-protected power strips.

Got mine setup today. I connected an external 4tb hdd I had laying around though I’m starting to think that might be a tad on the small side. I love the design of the console and the limited project scorpio edition styling. It’s quite a bit smaller than my ps4 pro which is next to it. I fired up insects and even on a 1080p tv I can see a pretty big difference toggling between 4k and non 4k. I’m guessing it’s just the assets they swap around. Gears 4 at 60 fps is so buttery smooth. I spent most of my time in Destiny 2 though and those annoying frame rate dips are gone and holds at a solid 30 fps now. So far no issues. I forgot about needing a Kinect adapter so I ordered one which hopefully will show up in about a week. When did Microsoft stop including headsets with their consoles? And having to shell out another $40 for the Kinect adapter seems really excessive.

Actually, I think what’s going on in 1080p is that Insects is Supersampling a 4K image when you toggle it to 4K mode.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to get a Kinect adapter when I got my Xbox One S and they were supplying them for free. The $40 sucks, but glad you found one at retail price. They’re going for $90 on Amazon.

It’s interesting how much better even non-enhanced titles look, due to the faster performance. I’m not sure what’s going on visually on Mass Effect Andromeda, but it looks markedly better on my X than on my old box.

There was definitely an issue with early Nyko Intercoolers causing problems with the 360. I suspect a well-made power strip would be fine, but it is probably easier for MS to say don’t do it, and they don’t take on any risk by saying doing so is fine.

I have the 5TB version of the portable HDD they recommend (Seagate Backup Plus Portable), and I’ve yet to hear anything from it.

Where do you see this?

Giant Bomb had a handy trick. If you hover a game on the games and apps page, and press both bumpers and start and select, you get a bunch of “secret” info, including flags for Xbox One X Enhanced and Project Scorpio assets installed.

Wow, thanks. Most of the enhanced games have Durango assets, except WWII which has Scorpio, but that one I reinstalled. So do I need to reinstall all my enhanced games to get the Scorpio assets?

Halo 5 is apparently much enhanced. Might pick it up on sale.

this new console is going to sell a lot of 4k sony tvs

Amazon UK has the One X in stock right now. After reading the DF articles and impressions from my fellow gamers, I couldn’t resist. I’ll be joining the club on Sunday. Can’t wait.

Playing through AC Origins and playing my GOTY edition of The Witcher 3 for the first time (once the patch drops) are going to be a great.

And the wife will no doubt enjoy the Diablo 3 improvements during her endless rift runs.

Fun times.

Wendelius