The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

Okay, I know product naming isn’t an exact science, but WTF is going on at LG that nobody stopped and said “maybe we shouldn’t use the exact same name for both our new TV and phone.”?

As someone whose TV is in a living room with a massive east facing window on one wall, I can confirm the LG OLEDs are plenty bright. In fact, thanks (presumably) to the new coating, my B7 handles reflections (and ambient light) far, far better than my previous LCD telly. The only real issue re: brightness is tone mapping in HDR content mastered to 10k nits.

All PS4s support HDR. I’ve been playing HDR games on my standard PS4 since getting the TCL P605.

And the XboneS supports HDR.

Oh wow, I didn’t realize base model PS4s has always supported hdr. Too bad the pro has zero 4K blu-ray support, though…

I dunno @wumpus. After watching this video comparing itunes 4K movies to 4K Blu-ray, I’m not so sure Sony made a bad decision. Is the minimal upgrade in visual quality worth sitting through unskippable trailers and lame FBI warnings?

Well, some would argue hdr is a “minimal increase in image quality”. Do the back of the napkin math to understand how big 4K is and the bandwidth requirements. 90gb for a 2 hour movie, on disc anyway.

They did not. Older PS4s got HDR support at the same time as the release of the PS4 Pro.

To reconcile one difference between what you and Wumpus are saying, there is a significant difference between OLEDs (which do have “perfect blacks”) and plasma screens, which do not. Plasma certain had better blacks than LCDs and is closer to OLEDs than LCDS are in that respect, but OLEDs are on a different level of IQ.

Unrelated but didn’t want to make an extra reply: man, that Xbox One X video of its (initially) poor HDR support is really disappointing. Glad it’s an acknowledged flaw that I hope is fixable to a much better standard.

They have not, it was patched in around the time of the Pro’s release.

EDIT: dupe!

• They have not, it was patched in around the time of the Pro’s release. EDIT: dupe!
  • They did not. Older PS4s got HDR support at the same time as the release of the PS4 Pro.
  • They most certainly did not, sirrah, as 'twas added at a later date.
  • Ils n’ont pas. Les anciennes PS4 bénéficiaient du support HDR en même temps que la sortie de la PS4 Pro.
  • 그들은하지 않았다. 이전 PS4는 PS4 Pro의 출시와 동시에 HDR을 지원합니다.
0 voters

I voted for the crazy Asian calligraphy option because it looks just like a tattoo I have right above my ass.

I know about the math, and it goes against logic, but streaming 4K HDR movies and TV shows looks pretty darn good, even at a fraction of the bitrate of 4K blu-ray. I was watching Mindhunter on Netflix last night on my LG OLED. The image quality is shockingly good with absolutely no digital artifacting that I could see. I was blown away.

Streaming 4K does look great when your ISP is being cooperative.

But a 4K Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos sound… Yowza. Streaming will have all that (I think Netflix has an Atmos movie right now) eventually, but for now, 4K Blu-ray can provide a top-end experience with consistent quality that’s not going to glitch if bandwidth hiccups.

Nah, it’s not necessary for your kids watching Jumanji. But with a big TV and surround sound setup at home, springing for the Ultra HD disc delivers an awesome experience.

Looks like Korean. Smells like kimchi, or maybe teen spirit. I can’t tell them apart.

It ain’t cheap though. Planet Earth II cost me £30.

Yeah, I paid $34 for that. But at least that’s six hours of stuff. :)

The $20-25 a regular movie costs on UHD seems high, but given the fancy recliner-seat movie theaters we got to nowadays are $15 a ticket and up, it’s not that bad if more than one person in the house wants to see the movie.

So… earlier this week, I noticed Amazon was out of stock on the One X. swung by the MS store and grabbed one yesterday evening (didn’t see any bf sales/deals). They did give me a coupon for a free download of the 4k Lego Batman movie however.

Picking up the 65" OLED Friday, if all goes to plan.

Anyone know if there’s a list of the 4k enhanced games for the x1x? I did see that Destiny 2 will be updated with the 4k content with the dec 5 update/expansion.

Official list.