The XBOX One

I loved the X-men arcade game. So much so that it got me to start collecting comics again (combined with the 90s cartoon). It was the last in a long line of arcade games that I invested a lot of time in, but it was also the only one in that line that wasn’t really beatable, at least with every character. Is there a way to play the game now?

Here’s an interesting article about Xbox teaming up with Discord to allow chat across Xbox and PC shared games. I thought of a bunch of us trying to join up a Sea of Thieves session when I came across the article.

New Game Pass games being added in May, most notable is probably State of Decay 2:

But I’m kind of stoked to see Overcooked, mainly because I’ve almost bought it about a half dozen times.

Ooh. State Of Decay 2 is almost worth it on its own (assuming they don’t cock it up), but with Pro Evo as well, that’s a no-brainer.

Nice, I almost bought Laser League when it came out on PC but eventually held off. It looks like a fun distraction and being on the Games Pass should help with the concurrent player levels.

Also State of Decay 2 is the clear winner here.

Does Laser League offer cross platform play, like Rocket League?

MAME is your best bet for X-Men as an arcade experience. Alternately…

If you decide to get it, I’ll fly to St. Louis and drive back to Canada with you so we can play it before I head back to PA. :D

If you’d rather get the X-Men: Children of the Atom fighting game instead…

It apparently is in stock at TNT after they did the restoration work. I post that video because Tuckey talks about the origin of the RCA jack in that segment which I had zero idea about and is super interesting!

I actually don’t know the answer to that. It was only on Steam up until now (I think?). I will have to check myself.

There’s not much to offer the single player, is there? Everything good I’ve heard about this has involved playing with others, the more the better.

Kinda meh month overall for me, but if you haven’t played Homefront Revolution before, it’s a jewel in the rough.

Do we know whether the game world will keep going even after you log off in this one?

Playing games sporadically really bit me in the ass in the first one. Every time I went back, things had gotten so much worse than when I left.

I’m thinking Overcooked looks like a fun couch co-op game for my kids, kind of like Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. And man, everything I’ve seen about Homefront looks so uninteresting, but maybe I’ll give it a try since it isn’t costing me anything.

If you ignore the idiotic plot, there’s some solid Far Cry-esque action to be had.

I don’t know but I assume so, since that was kind of one of the calling cards of the first game. I’m playing that through now and I actually kind of like that aspect, really keeps you driving forward, you never really get comfortable, which is at least thematically appropriate.

Yeah, I liked the idea of it. But my characters always ended up dying soon after that. So good in theory, but I guess the game was just too hard for me.

That has been a factor for me too. Not my own crew, at least not so far, but all the random folk out in the world who seem to be unable to look after themselves but also unwilling to just shack up with me. Always ends badly for them.

In Overcooked??

Ha, no, the bad story is Homefront’s.

I played Homefront: Revolution last fall and my enthusiasm and excitement was really high the first 30-40% of the game and I was enjoying the poor man’s Far Cry, then one day I fired it up and just had zero interest in progressing. Maybe I burned myself out on completing the first few areas, I don’t know.

Looks like Xbox Games Pass is $1/month until May 8.

It appears this is only for newcomers to the service. If you purchased a month before it will be full price. Not sure if previous activation of 14 day trial will have an impact or not.

It’s only for the first month. And as someone who previously did the trial, I can confirm it doesn’t have an impact.