The XBOX One

Maybe this should go in the hardware section (I may create a new thread there) but I’ve noticed for years my download speed on my old Xbox 360 slim seems really slow. I just found out how to test the speed of the connection and found out the wireless download speed is only about 5 mps (same as the upload speed) even though I have a 25 mps connection. I just bought a used Xbox 360 E and a new $115 router and it also has the same slow connection. My Xbox One which is right next to it gets a full 25 mps. Both consoles show 100% signal strength and no packet loss. Does the Xbox 360 have a terrible internal adapter or is there something else going on? Any help appreciated.

Backwards Compatible Bioshock runs at 60fps on Xbox One instead of 30fps on 360. And they’ve also gone back and patched older titles that didn’t run well on Backwards Compatibility. So Digital Foundry will be testing those again soon. (Titles like Halo Reach and Gears of War 2).

And as they point out, this bodes really well for backwards comptibility of 360 games on the Project Scorpio Xbox Ones. They’ve already gotten much better at this on Xbox One. With the extra horse power of Project Scorpio, maybe we can see across the board performance improvements of 360 titles.

My 10-year-old son’s best friend moved out of the country a couple of years ago. They see each other once or twice a year, since his friend comes back to visit family, but their friendship has been a big hole in my kid’s life. They were really like brothers. He lives in Jamaica now, and may be moving to Guinea, Africa in another year. His parents are from Africa and the mom works for the UN.

The friend has an Xbox 360. We’ve got a PS4, but I was looking into getting an MS console so the two could connect, play FIFA and Minecraft, and talk w/ each other.

A couple of questions… Can you play w/ international users, ie if my kid is in the US and his friend is in Jamaica or Africa?
Any good place to get a deal on a 360 these days? I don’t really want to spend a lot since it’ll only be used on the rare occasions when they can connect.

I can play with Canadians, but I don’t know if that counts. I’ve been randomly paired with guys from the UK in Destiny too.

You can get an Xbox 360 E in used condition starting around $90.

Gamestop also has them starting around $60, but that’s the first-generation model that tends to overheat. Of course there are tons on eBay as well.

Supposedly Xbox 360, Xbone, and Windows 10 versions of Minecraft are going to support cross-play, but from my quick research it looks like that hasn’t been enabled yet.

You can. There are no geographical restrictions.

January GwG:

World of Van Helsing: Deathtrap : Available from January 1-31 on Xbox One
Killer Instinct Season2 Ultra Edition: Available from January 16-February 15 on Xbox One
The Cave : Available from January 1-15 on Xbox 360 & Xbox One
Rayman Origins: Available from January 16-31 on Xbox 360 & Xbox One

I’ve never heard of Deathtrap. Is it any good? If any of you haven’t played Rayman Origins yet, you’re missing out on one of the best games of all time.

Is this a different Van Helsing game than was released on PC a while back? Not too familiar with that one. I own The Cave and Rayman already, so kind a “eh” month for me.

Killer Instinct is great. I had fun with the new replayable single player Shadow Lords mode. Takes about 3 hours to finish.

This Van Helsing is different. Tower defense + action RPG with very positive reviews on steam.

Tower defense? Now you have my attention.

Thanks guys. Sounds promising. Will he need a hard drive expansion to play FIFA and Minecraft on the 360? 4GB sounds like a ‘get you in the door’ configuration, but you walk out w/ a Live subscription and the 500GB hard drive expansion…

You can plug in a fast USB drive and use that as the hard drive. It will format the drive and treat it like any other hard drive. There used to be a small size limit but IIRC they got rid of the size limit, so you can use pretty much any USB thumb drive or external drive you have lying around.

You do need the Xbox Live subscription to play multiplayer. But don’t get that from Microsoft. They charge $60 for a year’s worth. If you keep an eye out for deals, you can find a year’s subscription in the $33-$39 range. On short notice like this, you might still be able to find it for $50.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/997294-REG/wd_wdbfjk0030hbk_nesn_3tb_my_book_desktop.html 3TB external for $70.

For a 360 this is probably overkill, but if you have an old external hooked to your PC you could hand down that one for the Xbox (unfortunately Sony won’t let you use an external as a system drive for your PS4).

Oh, cool! If I can use an external USB drive, I definitely have a decent one lying around.

The 360 can now use any USB 2.0 hard drive you might have laying around. You can also use flash drives for system storage. It’s quite flexible now.

This is pretty cool, just got this in the email, you guys probably have one too. But here is my – gamer crest for 2016!

What’s kind of fun is that all the images represent an aspect of games I played - like the knight’s helmet means I played a bunch of RPGs, the cars are or racing games I think? Anyway, it’s fun!

Looks like the winter sale is up - and Firewatch and The Witness are up at the sale prices I mentioned previously, just taunting me. I’m gonna crack man, I just know it!

Is there an easy way to browse the deals on web? I have a hell of a time figuring out where anything is on xbox.com.

The Microsoft store has to be the buggiest, most confusing and disorganized store on the web. You would think with their billions of dollars they could do better. Actually, now that I think about it, that’s a lot like Windows itself. If the Mac had the same level of gaming support I would switch to Apple in a heart beat.

I used http://www.storeparser.com/en-US/xbox-one/deals/