The XBOX One

Maybe the patch pushed out on Black Friday is still for preview members, not for general release yet?

I have Blast! through Comcast and the Xbox is wired. Even with that, we couldn’t get to play anything until we got home at night. We started setting things up at like 8 or 9 and left around 1:00 for my brother’s place.

Sure, I could’ve gotten it out of the box months ago when i bought it and done updates and stuff, but then it’s not Christmas Day new anymore. Half the fun is experiencing it with the kids… or in this case, half the exasperation.

Microsoft really needs to fix that kind of thing. Games need to play when you put the disc in the machine. I can stomach even the 1GB system update a lot more than I can all that time waiting just to start a game.

Hey dudes help me out - how fun is Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare 2? I know it’s gotten good reviews and as I recall Tom liked it, just wondering if I can get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. Is the multiplayer good? Looks like there’s a horde mode, how is that? I’m thinking for $16 I might gamble.

Edit: also interested in King’s Quest now that I see it’s wrapped up and on sale. Anyone play that?

I checked the Daily Deal for this morning (Saturday, Jan 31st), and Elite: Dangerous is on sale, and so is the Horizons expansion, bundled and separate. The game and expansion bundled have been on sale a couple times, but never the expansion by itself. So if you’ve been waiting for a deal on Horizons (like me), go get it.

Grabbed Horizons (thanks!), now maybe I’ll take the time to learn to play Elite.

So, is there a new batch of games going on sale this week or does Week 2 last two weeks and what’s there now is what’s there til the end of the sale?

I think the sale should be over today. I think it was only supposed to be 2 weeks of the Countdown sale. They should still have their weekly GwG sales continue with a new week of sales aside from the Countdown sale though.

Nope, it goes until 1/9/17

How are some of you on my friends list earning so much gamerscore? Is it because you share an account with kids? I think that’s the case with @RickH. @divedivedive is that the case with you as well? I think when I looked on Saturday, you were number 1 on my achievement leaderboard with 800 GS earned in January so far, where I had earned about 15 GS I think. That’s mind-boggling to me. 800? In a week?

My kids aren’t really old enough to be earning me gamer score yet and if they ever do get to that point they’ll probably want their own tags. My wife occasionally does, though she exclusively plays arcade games like Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride.

Usually if you see a jump in my gamer score in a short period of time it’s probably because I played something that’s quick and/or easy, which was the case this weekend - I played through The Walking Dead: Michonne, which I had bought for a few bucks on sale a few weeks back. BY the way, I do recommend the game.

As an aside, my gamer score is getting to the point where it embarrasses me a little. Not the fact that I play games necessarily, but I’m a completionist by nature and I can look a little, well, compulsive I imagine. And seeing that I’m getting competitive with folks who post achievement guides on YouTube makes me a bit uneasy.

Telltale Games! I should have been playing their games on Xbox for the achievements. But they’re always so cheap on the PC, I always end up getting them there first. I’ll keep an eye out for Michonne though, thanks! It might even be part of the current Countdown sale. Or maybe it was a Week 1 game.

Yeah Telltale. I got the Batman one for $10 and just got around to it. 1000 gamer score in a single day!

Personally, I just prefer the Telltale games on console with my bigger TV and better sound system, since they’re such theatrical games. They aren’t for everyone but I really like Telltale’s stuff.

Regarding Michonne - I enjoyed playing this game much differently than I play the Clem-focused main games, where I try to maintain optimism in the face of brutal annihilation. With Michonne, I played her as a dead inside nihilist going through the motions. And I’ve got to say, the game accommodated me very well. She’s pretty much Robocop.

If the boys are using my account, it’s usually for multiplayer stuff. My recent burst was probably re-playing Bioshock and some help from Firewatch, which passes out 100gs achievements as a matter of course. And I’ve been obsessed with Titanfall since October, which accounts for 1790gs in the last few months.

But I am definitely an achievement hound. I like having “extra” goals to accomplish in a game in addition to just playing it. An excuse to hang around a place I like, perhaps? But if the game stinks, I’m hard pressed to gut it out to the bitter end.

It was a hard lesson to learn, that I didn’t have to finish books I hated or games I disliked. Thanks, Jonathan Franzen and Ratatouille for the 360.

No way! E-peen FTW!

But seriously, I passed the 10 year mark with XBL a while back, so it’s not that bad. I think.

I’m totally an achievement junkie, it’s just the gamer score that gives me pause. Yeah that’s splitting hairs I guess. But I’ve pretty much always been a completionist - I was 100%ing GTA games before achievements were a thing. And I remember hunting down collectibles pretty much forever. Had to get all the precursor orbs in the first Jak and Daxtrr, fully upgrade all weapons in Ratchet and Clank, that sort of thing. Achievements didn’t really change my behavior, just gave me something to show for it.

Something else that just popped into my head - I really loved what the first Mass Effect did with achievements, giving them in-game bonuses. I wonder why that never caught on?

Just want to give more notice to the free Van Helsing game this month. It’s a really fun tower defense game in the Dungeon Defenders mold as you control one of three characters that can be leveled up and equipped as you get through the various maps. Good stuff!

Big back compat release day, according to Major Nelson:

Strania
The Splatters
Scrap Metal
Ghostbusters
Dragon Age: Origins
Battlefield Bad Co. 2
Battlefield 3

I imagine a lot of folks ar fired up about Dragon Age but for me it’s Ghostbusters all the way baby - this is the 2009 game that had involvement from all the principals from the movies, and felt like playing Ghostbusters 3. I love this game. Anyone up for some multiplayer?

Sweet! I always wanted to rent that Ghostbusters game, just to finally experience a Ghostbusters 3. And then the new movie was announced and I forgot all about it. (And I still haven’t seen the new movie either).

I haven’t heard of Strania, The Splatters or Scrap Metal.

I had such a good time with Battlefield Bad Co. 2 in multiplayer, I always did want to try the single player for that game, especially since it’s the one Battlefield campaign in that era that got good reviews.

Neither have I. Kind of funny how random these releases can be.

Strania is a super-cool XBLA shmup. Can’t speak for the others.