The XBOX One

Yep. From a week ago:

I’m still ruminating on that. Also I had planned to get Project Scorpio and not a PS4 Pro. Maybe I should think about doing the reverse? I haven’t decided yet.

I’ll forgive them if they can finish that DVR feature they were working on that got put on hold.

The only thing I ever snap is Twitch to start a broadcast. I wonder how they’ll manage that now?

I actually will snap on the news while playing Forza. Don’t often need to see much of the tv screen for it, but nice to have that available. With this change, I will probably change my setup, and not use the HDMI bypass in the system and just attach my cable box directly to an input now.

And to be fair, they were making Snap mode worse and worse lately. Back at launch snapped apps used to work perfectly. Hulu Plus used to run smoothly with everything except Microsoft First party games, which got extra system resources, it seemed. But now, it seems like every game gets more system resources and the snapped app slows down tremendously. Even Live TV. But that was still okay with me, since I was just paying attention to audio and the occasional images from the snapped app anyway.

You know what’s better than snap mode? A tablet.

I’ve tried it with the old Nook table, a Fire tablet and my phones. It’s not as good as snap mode. I don’t know why, but when it’s on the same screen, coming out of the same speakers, my brain is able to handle it better than when it’s two different things coming out of two devices. The latter just doesn’t work for me.

On the other hand, the tablet works with more than a handful of video sources, and doesn’t eat up valuable screen space. And it doesn’t have a terrible interface.

True, but if I can’t do it at the same time, then you know what’s better than the tablet? The video apps on Xbox and PS4. If you’re talking about just watching the videos and not multitasking then those are better when viewed on the consoles compared to a tablet. It’s only the multitasking aspect that’s in play here.

Oh hey, GTA IV is backwards compatible as of today. This one caught a lot of grief but I really enjoyed it. Toying with the thought of going after that “New York Minute” achievement.

After playing through it on the 360, my plan was to play through the GFWL version on PC and go for the New York Minute achievement. But once I started playing, I found that to be too hard. It’s really hard for me to stay laser focused on the story like that. Especially at the beginning of the game, when you’re just an immigrant living in Brooklyn, not a criminal yet, just going to work for Roman, not jacking cars yet, not getting into fights yet, just trying to eek out a living by working for your brother. It’s good stuff, and I just can’t rush through that part like I thought I could.

And yes, despite the grief it catches, it is my favorite GTA game in terms of gameplay, because I love the car physics and the music.

I’ve already played through it once, though that was a while ago. But I’m hoping it’s easier to power through without getting distracted on the second time through - I find that side missions are often my favorite part of GTA games, may be tough to ignore.

This was the first game i got when I bought a 360 and it was a shame i could not play it for longer than 20 minutes; the frame rate seemed to dip a bit during driving, making me motion-sick. Wonder if performance is improved on the Xbone?

That’s usually been the case, but I intend to load it up and see for myself tonight.

Also, just in case you do your one stop shopping for Xbox news here, Hitman Absolution was released on Xbox One backwards compatability today. If you are a Gold member of Xbox Live, you likely already own this since it was a GwG game some time back. Which I do, though I never played it. Is it any good?

I thought it was a solid game at the time. It of course doesn’t hold a candle to the current Hitman gameplay wise.

Yeah I’ve heard good things about the latest Hitman game, watched @Jason_McMaster stream a few of those episodes, but I never tried it myself. In fact the whole Hitman franchise has mostly passed me by - I tried one of them, think it was Blood Money, some time back on Steam but I got hung up on one part and set it aside and just never came back to it. Maybe I’ll try this one, see if it grabs me.

The worst part of being in Miami is that I’m not very close to my copy of Hitman

Expect a big E3 brief this year with Scorpio taking center stage.

I’ll be watching. I want to see these dudes make the case that I really need to upgrade.

Same here. I want to be convinced, but it’s going to be a hard case to make I think. Especially to someone who doesn’t have a 4k TV.