The XBOX One

Yeah I haven’t moved up to the S because I really like my original Xbone. It’s a solid piece of machinery - and I do mean solid, I would not want to drop that thing on my foot. And it’s absolutely silent - I think that’s a seriously underrated quality, that means a lot to me.

My original Xbox One is plugging along fine. I could see upgrading if the Scorpio offered something really compelling, but since MS has already said they’re not going to allow devs to ignore the regular Xbox One, or even let games perform better on that platform’s hardware, there doesn’t seem to be much point.

Plus the S also didn’t have a port for my Kinect, and you have to buy that separate I think. I don’t want to part with the Kinect or use an extra USB slot either. (One is being used for my antenna input, and the one on the side for an external SSD hard drive).

I must have missed this announcement. That doesn’t sound right. Are you sure that wasn’t just a misinterpretation?

Yeah, but I’m worried @stusser is right, that while they may keep the Xbox One alive it may just chug trying to play newer games that are “best on Scorpio.”

I should be more clear. Games on Scorpio can be made to perform slightly better than on the regular Xbox One or S, but devs won’t be able to go nuts because…

[quote]
“One thing we should make sure that everyone understands is, every game that comes out in the Xbox One family will run on the original Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Scorpio, so we have had some questions, ‘Are there going to be Scorpio-exclusive games?’ No, the line of games you’re going to get to play is the same.”[/quote]

That limits most performance gains to something modest.

That definitely makes upgrading seem much less urgent. Assuming that plan doesn’t change, ha.

It’s the same with PS4 and PS4 Pro. Devs can’t build Pro-exclusive titles.

If you’re upgrading from a Kinect-equipped original Xbox One, you can go up to Xbox.com, register both consoles, and get a Kinect adapter for the S for free. I did this, only took about three days to arrive.

As far as USB goes, you can always get a cheap-but-decent tiny USB hub if you end up short a port due to the Kinect adapter.

That will absolutely happen, but not until the post-Scorpio refresh, which will likely be 2020 at the earliest. They will maintain forward compatibility for at least one generation-- anything less would be suicidal.

Think about the iPad. My toilet iPad4 is now 5 years old. It runs the latest OS and games run too, but performance isn’t stellar. In 2020 when the next+1 Xbone refresh launches the launch Xbone (the S isn’t markedly faster, so I lump it in) will be 7 years old. It’ll still work, but the experience won’t be fantastic. And that’s OK.

I could see MS(and Sony) taking a duel system approach for the long term. The “entry level” one and the “enthusiast” one. The Scorpio will be for the gamer that wants the best offering, then in say 4 more years they do new system and the Scorpio is lowered in price to the ~$250 range and that becomes the entry level while support for the OG Xbox One is dropped.

Yeah I don’t totally get the upgrade path here. If there’s no compelling reason to go Scorpio I won’t - I don’t need the newest piece if tech. It will probably be a lot like my approach to PC upgrades actually, I’ll perpetually just be a few steps behind the curve. Hasn’t bothered me so far.

Games with Gold announced for March:

Layers of Fear (One)
Evolve (One)
Borderlands 2 (360)
Heavy Weapon (360)

Pretty good month for me, I only own one, Heavy Weapon, and that one is fun.

Wasn’t Evolve shut down by 2K? Will multiplayer still work on Xbox Live?

Evolve is dead and Turtle Rock have moved on. The servers are up now but who’s to say for how long.

Didn’t the PC version of Evolve go free to play? Guess this is the Xbox version of that.

Technically, neither console version got any of the balance or progressions changes to Evolve after it went “2.0” and F2P.

Also not sure if this Borderlands 2 is a “complete” version with all DLC included. The first one did when it was released on GwG, hopefully this one will as well.

I’m personally hoping it’s the version without all the DLC.

That will increase the likelihood that I’ll actually play through it.

I already have Borderlands 2 so I’m most excited by that it will be BC soon.