The XBOX One

Too rich for my blood.

Ok, now we’re getting closer. And even this wouldn’t be needed if the latest versions of these video apps worked well with Kinect voice commands. But it seems more and more they assume that you have no Kinect, so when you say “Xbox Select”, no choices come up, or at best no choices that will get you to the option you want to select.

The hardware race doesn’t matter if they can’t produce some more good exclusive games. If you don’t like racing or Halo, you’re pretty much out of luck on Xbox One.

Or Gears, or Sunset Overdrive, or Crackdown just to pick a few off the top of my head, but yeah ok.

That would be true if multi-platform games weren’t released on XB1, but they are. At that point, the differences are so small that a player can base his platform decision on stuff like controller preference, achievement/trophy system, or the availability of BC titles.

Heck, until Horizon came out, I didn’t think PS4 had a truly compelling first-party exclusive. Not that the lack of one kept me from buying one, too.

It’s actually rather impressive that they managed to cram all that hardware, including a wider memory bus, in the same die size as the original Xbone. The die shrink from 28nm to 16nm made it happen, in conjunction with shitcanning the ESRAM.

All that said, I can’t see how 40 Polaris ROPs at 1172Mhz can handle 4k. That should be roughly 15% faster than a RX 480. A RX 480 is roughly equivalent to a GTX970 or GTX 1060, and we all know none of those cards can handle true 4k.

I basically think they’re full of shit. They’ll play 4k, but not with everything turned up, maximum quality. They’ll probably use tricks like the PS4 Pro too. Not true 4k.

Edit: I forgot about the 50% wider memory bandwidth. It’s basically unknown what effect that will have. It’s plausible that the XScorpio is as much as 30% faster than a RX480.

Well, yeah. What they say is if it currently runs at up to 1080p it should be able to do it at the same or better frame rate in 4K. The Forza demo seems to bear that out, but obviously it’s just one in-house game. Xbone stuff isn’t at maximum quality now, so you wouldn’t expect it to be on Scorpio either, at 4K.

Maybe for you, but Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne were huge exclusives for the PS4. That’s old news though because Sony has a pile of (highly rated) exclusives now.

The easiest thing to do is hop over to Wikipedia and put in “List of PlayStation 4 games” and then “List of Xbox One games” and sort by exclusivity. It’s pretty obvious that the PS4 is rather far ahead and it will always be a selling point until Microsoft figures out that non-exclusive third parties do not sell systems. Exclusive games alongside compelling hardware is what makes people pay.

All that said, this thing is going to be at least $500 which means it’s a tough sell to anyone unless there is a truly killer app at launch.

Didn’t see there is summarization…
For PS4…
There are currently 1552[a] games across both this page and the remainder of the list of PlayStation VR games.

Exclusive = 100
Console exclusive = 389
Timed = 28
Multiplatform = 784

For Xbox One
There are currently 1119[a] games on this list.

Exclusive = 34
Console exclusive = 120
Multiplatform = 980

Surely you/they mean x64, a.k.a x86-64.

Dunno, since the source article only stated that those CPU cores are x86.

Interesting! My father worked on satellites through the 80s and 90s and this was a passive way they did cooling - though I believe they used ammonia instead of water.

Yep, and I buy them and play them, bought Persona 5 yesterday. But that doesn’t mean I don’t have twice as many XB1 games as PS4 games on my shelf. That ratio doesn’t quite translate to “out of luck,” especially if the player in question is not hard into Japan-produced games. Plenty of play to be had on both sides.

Aside: I thought about U4 as a “compelling” 1st party title, but ultimately concluded that anything with a 4 in its title was not going to sell people that haven’t been on board for a while.

Yes Jaguar is 64bit. It’s pokey, but not that slow.

Same here. Plus Planet Earth II on UHD.

cheap oled 4k plz

Why do you never look pas the the basic raw hardware numbers and make overarching assumptions. Leadbetter specifically addresses this talk if you read all the articles.
Saying well its just a RX480 GPU so they are full of it shows you simply didn’t bother to read all the was posted today.

Plenty of play on both sides isn’t something I’m arguing against here. I’m specifically noting that they need games to sell systems, especially this one. They’re way behind Sony, and upping system specs without adding real exclusives that get people invested in buying an Xbox isn’t going to help. I won’t even bring the PC into this because if you have one of those, you really don’t need an Xbox at all anymore.

From a pure console exclusives standpoint and its effect on sales, Microsoft has fallen behind and doesn’t offer enough.

I agree with Dave. I own both systems, and I prefer the Xbox One for multiplatform games, but they really do need more first party games on their systems. And they can make them Play Anywhere games, so you can get them on Windows 10 too, that’s a bonus for everyone, but they need more games out there that are not on Playstation.

For all the obvious downsides, there is an amount of clarity gained by owning only one console.

Hence black Friday

Actually, just less ps exclusives.