The XBOX One

If you do get it, I noticed the base game is on sale for $20, and the Season pass is $30. But the whole thing together is $55. So you save $5 by buying them both separately.

Huh, looks like you’re right, that’s pretty crazy. Thanks for the heads up.

Scorpio dev kit in front of the other Xbox dev kits.

Lots of good stuff here:

Makes me a lot more confident about the planned Scorpio purchase. Didn’t want to be caught on the tail end of a generation.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/how-microsoft-is-future-proofing-for-xboxs-multi-generational-future/

Great interview. I agree with their thoughts-- they are following the PC path, which I’ve been advocating for many years now. I followed his thought process on Sony too, but disagree with his conclusion. What Sony actually did with the PS4 Pro, with that 2016 technology, is make a GREAT 1080p console. That’s what it is. They succeeded at that. And given that most people have 1080p TVs, I believe that was a smart move.

On a side note, it bugs me that he calls 1080p “1k”. It’s 2k, because it has approximately 2000 horizontal pixels. 4k happens to be four times the resolution of 1080p, but that isn’t why you call it 4k-- it has approximately 4000 horizontal pixels.

5k resolution is 5120x2880, approximately 5000 horizontal pixels. However if you go by total pixel count it’s 7.1x the number of 1080p, and you don’t call it 7k.

Given how close the older dev kits are to the actual hardware, it appears that the Scorpio will have a dull but serviceable two-tone design. But at least it won’t look like a VCR from 1986.

Holy cow -

13,697 votes and 931 comments so far on Reddit

edit: verified on my Xbox, this is a thing. Insider only at the moment, looks like.

second edit: here’s a little fine print. Good for games bought within the last 14 days, that have less than 2 hours played. DLC, season passes and add-ons are not eligible for refunds. Have to wait one day after purchasing to request a refund.

Makes sense. Valve already took one for the team ironing out all the obvious problems with such a policy, people trying to cheat the system, etc. Limited automated returns greatly improves customer satisfaction while reducing support costs and all without substantial revenue impact. Win/win/win.

I totally would have used this system 3 years ago, if they had it back then. I was desperate for a dual stick shooter on the Xbox One. So when one some shitty indie dual stick shooter finally came out back then, I bought it. Ugh. It was terrible. That’s the only case I can think of though, on PC or console, where I wanted a refund within 2 hours. Most of my regrets happen well after the 2 hour mark.

Argh, now I’m kind of waffling on whether to go ahead and buy Fallout 4 now or just wait - it’s not like I can play it right now anyway, I kind of want to get back to Witcher 3 after Andromeda and that could take the rest of my natural life. But I’m sitting on some credit and kind of want to take advantage of the sale. On the other hand, I kind of at one point wanted to try Halo Wars 2, since I really liked the first. Anyone have an opinion on that game? Is $38.99 a decent price for it?

If you liked the first one, then yes, I think you’ll like this one too. The missions felt a bit more streamlined though, so unless you plan to play mp, I’m not sure the price is right yet.

FYI, the Xbox Game Pass test has expended to Tier 3 Xbox Insiders, there’s a nice selection of mostly MS published games but a few more as well.

Looks like May’s GwG have been announced:

Xbox One will get Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Director’s Cut followed by Lara Croft and the Tenple of Osiris.

Xbox 360 (and Xbox One back compat) will get Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II and then Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga.

Hey cool. I got Giana Sisters when it first came out on GoG, but it didn’t have controller support and I had a tough time trying to play a platformer with the keyboard. It’ll be nice to give this another try on Xbox.

Nice to have Lego Star Wars back. That was one of the first 360 games I played, and I lost my disc somewhere along the way.

LEGO Star Wars on 360 was the game I used to teach my now-14-year-old son how to play games when he was about 5. Oh, the early years, when I had to let him win in competitive games…

I liked those videos you did with your son on XBL back then. Seemed like you guys were having fun.

Now he probably just kicks your arse ;)

Sadly. It’s not even fun to play competitive shooters with him anymore.

The answer is Splatoon (Nintendo) or PvZ: Garden Warfare (I prefer 1 over 2). But mostly Splatoon.