The XBOX One

Thanks for the info, and apologies for flogging a dead horse.

Yes as long as you sign in with the same account. When I moved from the Xbox One to the S is was completely seamless.

Crackdown is being played on Mixer during the Xbox Live stream. The devs are talking about it. And I must say it’s looking very much Crackdown and quite a bit of fun.

https://mixer.com/Xbox

I just see people talking about some generic Star Wars game.

Ooh, what’s it called? If it’s Battlefront, not interested.

Yea, it’s that.

Alas, yes. They spent some time talking about the game but typically stopped shortly after I posted. :/

How do you plead for the crime of making us watch Battlefront? ;-)

Just look at the pretty lights(abers). You can thank me later. :)

I’ll try and find out tomorrow whether MS posted any Crackdown centered let’s plays.

So I turn on my Xbox One this morning and I’m greeted with 16 alerts telling me a whole array of 360 Games have been installed and are ready to start. I was annoyed because I didn’t buy any of these games, and I figured someone had somehow accessed my account and gone on a spending spree or something.

After doing a little research, it turns out that these are all part of something called the Rare Replay collection or whatever, something I never bought.

After doing a little more research, I found out that Microsoft has been giving away copies of Rare Replay on the down low. Turns out all you had to do to get a copy was watch their E3 Livestream on Mixer, which I had done for like 10 seconds after clicking on the link -Wendelius put in his Crackdown 3 post.

So that’s pretty cool. I’ve never actually played any of these games, I wonder if any of them hold up.

Yeah, we mentioned that in the MS E3 thread, you also got The Final Station, No Time to Explain and a bunch of DLC for other games. Not bad for watching a stream.

Here’s a review from Polygon, ranking them from worst to best (in their opinion):

My own personal favorite in the bunch is Number 21 on their list. Kameo was a launch title for the 360, and it has a rough start. You’re thrown into the game with a bunch of powers and tough enemies. If you can just get past that part, it gets much, much better. They strip away most of your powers and you slowly gain them back over the course of the game, with the appropriate learning and experience that goes with that, so you learn to appreciate each power and method of playing in its own unique environment and levels designed to show you what’s best about each power. And by the end of the game you’re an expert on all the different powers.

So if you can get past that first part, which is really off-putting, unfortunately, the rest of the game is aces.

I’ve also heard a lot of good things about Blast corps over the years from N64-era Rare fans, but I’ve never tried it myself. I do wonder if it will hold up in the modern era. I think @DaveLong is a Blast Corps fan. Dave, what do you think? Does it hold up?

Edit: Adding another link, here’s Mashable recommending 5 of the games from the 30 game collection:

Tom streamed this last August on the Qt3 livestream: (skip to the 10 minute mark for the start of the game):

At the time, I was intrigued. Not enough to buy it, but to put it on a “maybe” list. So I’m looking forward to checking this out some time.

Viva Pinata and its sequels are superb.

Conker’s Bad Fur Day was very fun at the time (the multiplayer is suprisingly good), but it probably doesn’t hold up well.

The Banjo Kazooie games are great little collectathon 3D platformers, while Nuts & Bolts adds a really cool creative side with the vehicle building.

Perfect Dark is much better than Goldeneye, but (shock horror), that doesn’t make it good today.

Sabre Wulf and Knight Lore are seminal pieces of gaming history, but probably impenetrable today. I think I talked about them on my QT3 podcast.

JetPac is equally seminal, but still great to play.

I played Nuts and Bolts, the building was fun but I didn’t like the racing part. Didn’t feel right to me.

The Rare Replay version is not the Xbox remake, it’s the N64 original. So no online multiplayer.

Indeed. And it’s awesome that while you didn’t get to see Crackdown 3, you got the free games out of that brief visit.

Rare Replay is a big piece of gaming history and it has several gems and many games you will enjoy messing around with. I bought it full price way back when it came out and even my 10 year old daughter enjoys some of the oldest games, though she prefers the Kazooie and Viva Pinata games.

Local multiplayer though, right? That’s a large part of what’s good about it.

Regarding OG Xbox back compat - this short exchange regarding original games not having achievements may disappoint some, but it’s a good sign to me. Existing games will continue to work (at least the subset they’re able to make work/get rights to) and MS won’t be reselling us games we probably already own.