The XBOX One

OK. Bummer!

Oh come on the micro transaction economy that was in the game initially was a load of bullshit. They released a $60 retail title with a BS “freemium” system embedded in it. They got deservedly slammed for it.

I wouldn’t know. I ignored the microtransaction side, just like I did in Forza 3 and 4. But unlike 3 and 4, their in-game currency economy was spot on in 5. You actually had to win some races in order to get better cars. In Forza 3 and 4, you could get through 2 series and then buy whatever car in the game that you wanted. There was no sense of satisfaction or progression whatsoever.

Forza 5 was more like Forza 1 in that regard, or games like Gran Turismo 1,2, 3 and 4. (I haven’t played GT 5 and 6).

I just moved my Xbox One S from my TV to my monitor. It’s a Dell something-or-other, max resolution is 1920x1200, but I can only get the Xbox to output at 1920x1080 so it’s stretching the image.

Am I crazy or did the Xbox 360 do 1920x1200?

I can’t find a setting on the Xbox One to make it match the monitor, or a setting on the monitor to let it letterbox the signal instead of stretching it. This is maddening; I hope I’m just overlooking something.

I’m probably wrong about the Xbox 360. I think I’m remembering it differently because I had an older Dell monitor then, which did have a 1:1 mode. Now I’m mad I didn’t consider that when I bought this one.

Is there really no way to create a local account for the purpose of age filtering game ratings for a kid without creating a whole Microsoft account? That is so dumb, my 3 year old doesn’t need an account and I don’t need to keep track of a new email address.

You could do this on the 360. Is MS this dense?

Wow, looks like you’re right:

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/377193-profile-achievements-game-hubs/suggestions/6041778-to-be-able-to-make-an-offline-profile-like-the-xbo?page=3&per_page=20

That thread is full of people complaining about the same thing. I just assumed it was like the 360, but it looks like you can’t make offline local accounts on Xbox One.

The 360 did 16:10 with the VGA cable, but I believe it was at a lower resolution than 1920x1200.

It’s all about tracking their users is my guess.

I don’t want them to track my 3 year old. Fuck them. Guess he’s not playing an MS console anymore.

Does the PS4 or Switch have that functionality? Maybe its time to switch.

Switch for sure lets you create an account without linking it to anything online.

PS4 lets you create sub accounts under your primary and you list them as a minor. It’s been awhile since I created the kids’ sub-accounts, though. I don’t recall if I had to provide any e-mail for them specifically. I kind of think it all went through me.

Was thinking about getting a Switch anyway. Cool, Mario Kart!

So football season started this week, and this is the first time in years that I wasn’t able to watch a game while also playing a game.

Oh my god, you guys, I hated it. I mean, I like watching Football, but I don’t need to see every play, I don’t need to always pay attention to the game. I can have it on while playing Diablo or Destiny or something. I wish I could go back on the stupid Xbox interface. Just hit a button somewhere and lose all the new features so that I can have Snap mode back.

Arrrrrggh.

On the positive side, even though Hulu and Netflix dropped all Kinect support now, as a result I’m using Plex a lot more, and the LiveTV app, both of which respond to Kinect commands. Thank god for those two apps. Especially when I have a baby in my arms and can’t go for the controller. Fuck Hulu and Netflix.

Use a tablet to watch the football instead.

I don’t have a Tablet.

I do have one for my wife. If I used that, I don’t think the Fire Tablet has any way to watch terrestrial TV on it. I guess I could check to see if Amazon has the HDHomeRun app that I use on Windows 10, maybe the Fire version of the app store has that app. Edit: It seems they do. It’s still dicey to borrow my wife’s tablet though. I’m hogging the TV and her tablet, both?

You could go my route and just be done with the NFL. Clears up time on Sunday. But maybe a bit drastic for most folks.

How much is an Android tablet these days? Samsung were literally giving them away with phones at one point.

Bayonetta… played it for an hour this weekend, oh man, what to say? Had heard about how wacky it was but nothing could prepare me.

Not typically into this type of 3rd person, frenetic action game - tried to give Devil May Cry, God Of War and other similar games a shot but they just never hold my attention for long and I also suck at the combat - but I am so curious about where THIS story is going and the interplay between Bayonetta, Stereotypical Italian-American Mobster guy and Stereotypical Cool Laid-Back Black guy is entertaining, to say the least.

Impressions on the new Xbox One controller (the one that comes with the Xbox One S, and has bluetooth and a 3.5 jack, etc.):

• When I first connected it wirelessly, it asked to update the controller, and I didn’t have to plug it in using a USB cord to the console! So unlike the original XB1 controller, this one can update wirelessly! Cool!
  • It feels rough and cheap compared to the original controller. The sides feel like a cheaper grade of rough plastic.
  • The Xbox symbol button no longer juts out. Instead it’s even with the surface of the controller so that it doesn’t even look like a pressable button. But you can press it by sinking it into the controller. Kind of weird. I think I preferred a button that juts out, but I guess I’ll get used to it.
  • During the opening scenes of Destiny 2 the controller is set to vibrate a lot. I could hear the motors in there during the vibration. This is very off-putting. My original XB1 controller never had this problem. But is it a big enough problem to try to return it? It works fine, it’s just annoying.
  • Man, it sure is nice to be able to navigate Netflix again using a controller. I’ll probably keep my old Day One XB1 controller, just in case I ever need to play a same-screen coop game.

That one I disagree with. Having gone back and forth between the Day One and new controllers (I have 2 of each), I prefer the feel of the new controllers in my hand. That plastic roughness is, I’m sure, by design and, for me, it feels good.

My Day One has outlasted one of the new controllers though. Given the sample size, it could be plain bad luck. But I can’t give a definitive verdict on their durability.

Wendelius