The XBOX One

For some reason it showed up in my ready to install tab last night, but I haven’t had a chance to set it up. There were a bunch of addons in the repository though, seems like a legit version.

Is this the same Kodi that lets you stream pirated movies? Will that feature be available on Xbox?

Kodi is basically home theater software. It does not include “piracy” functionality, but if you put files in that are named as a TV show or movie, it will pull down the info and display the episode guide, etc.

I have heard that some people have been selling pre-configured Kodi boxes (Android, I believe) that have add-ons that will go to certain IP addresses for pirate streams, but that’s a consequence of having open-source software that people are free to write add-ons for.

I have a question on parental controls. I’ve read that you can only restrict based on rating and not a specific game. I don’t want to do that. If I download a digital game onto an Xbox One using my Xbox Live account (heck, is that even possible if there is already another parent account on there?) can I delete it to prevent someone from re-downloading it?

I don’t even want to install it to try it unless I’m sure I can back it out later.

You can turn off the ability to download games/apps for specific child accounts. You can’t restrict content per-title.

So if you put passcode sequences on the adult accounts and restrict the child accounts from downloading, it will mean the adults will be the only ones who can download.

Okay so the icon will always be there tempting him? I’ll keep that in mind.

Not necessarily. You can hide icons from the list of available apps. I think it’s by pressing The on the icon? Either that or the menu button.

I’ve spent the last few evenings kicking around some of the Early Access (ere, Game Preview) titles I’ve had for a while. Here’s some impressions are to the current state of them.

Astroneer: I gifted a copy to my brother for Christmas, and we’ve played it together several times. It’s still pretty janky, but it’s even more fun with another player- digging and driving around are super fun, and exploring the various worlds had been neat. The new update does add some grind, but it isn’t too bad, especially compared to things like ARK or Conan.

Subnautica recently got a patch- “Eye Candy”, and (knock on wood) it seems like they’ve worked the big bug out that killed performance in the past. Before, when you built even one or two permanent structures, the game would slowly become unplayable- framerate would drop, resources wouldn’t spawn, killing the game and restarting wouldn’t help. Now all that seems to be fixed. Framerate is much better (though still all over the place), pop-in is atrocious, but the pace of the game is pretty laid-back, so once you adjust to it mentally, it’s very playable. I haven’t been to any of the really intensive areas yet, though, so we’ll see, but they’re coming up on the 1.0 release for PC, and I’m confident the issues will be worked out on the Xbone. I really like the progression and unlock system in this game and Far Cry: Primal, and wish they were multiplayer. Or rather, they games like ARK and Conan were built more like them- you unlock new tech via exploration instead of grinding XP and levels, and the game feeds you a constant series of new areas to go to do it.

Speaking of Conan, I’ll probably fire it up to see its current state in the next few days. I haven’t been paying any attention- have there been any major updates (gameplay systems added/revised) since last summer with the frozen thing?

Ninja Gaiden Black looks great. Early 3D games are never going to be perfect but I still have a soft spot for them when you jack up the resolution.

Follow-up: I’m forced to sign-in as my profile in order to play the game. So that means he won’t be able to play it at least. Now I have to figure out how to hide the icon. I don’t see a way to hide it yet. I’ll try uninstalling later.

Hm, do you have the Xbox One designated as the “Home” console? Think anyone should be able to log in and play any game installed on it if so.

I guess not, but this is a good thing. I want to buy him a game but I will just gift it directly. (Debating between Spelunky and Stardew Valley.)

Not sure if this is the place for this, but I didn’t really want to make another thread, so - reading the Bungie article that @Rock8man posted over in the Destiny thread here:

It just reminds me of all the good times I had with Halo and kind of makes me want to play again. I have a copy of the Master Chief Collection, but man, the thought of going through all those games is just a massive undertaking. Is the MCC a good recreation of the originals though? I remember a lot of complaints about multiplayer, which I wouldn’t be touching anyway. Just feeling a bit nostalgic for the campaigns I guess.

It’s awesome. I still enjoy the sense of discovering a new world and encountering the first few cowardly grunts at the start of Halo. And I love how you can switch between original and remastered graphics at the touch of a button in Halo.

This was kind of hilarious for me. The remastered graphics were what I actually remembered the game looking like in my mind’s eye. Then I switched and was kind of floored at how bad it looked- it was so amazing at the time of release. Gameplay is still amazing, though!

Final update: it’s super easy to hide a game from the games & apps list once you uninstall it. Yay.

I was briefly stumped how to transfer saves to a USB thumb drive to back them up. Then I read there is no option for it and it’s only cloud saving. Let’s hope they’re still there when I get back!

So far, they’ve always been there for me. But yeah, that part always makes me nervous too. When something is automatic, it’s wonderful until the one time it doesn’t work.

The MCC single player was well done. It’s was the MP that was borked, and never really got fixed.

Looks like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is coming out on January 18, X1X enhances. Can’t imagine anyone was holding their breath on this one, I played it a while back on PC. Still, pretty good game.

Thanks for the tip, actually. I wanted to play it, but was miffed they only put it on PS4. It looks great, and I love most of their inspirational source material.

I ended up grabbing Edith Finch and Titanfall 2 during the sale. Adding them to the backlog.