The XBOX One

Pre-HD graphics. It wasn’t until halo 2 that they did HD.

And hey, just in case you were wondering, Xbox One is not affected by the Spectre and Meltdown chip bugs according to Mike Ybarra:

Mitigates against /= is not affected by. Still, it’s going to be a lot harder to attack, I’d have thought, if you’re only running code that goes through Microsoft. Does it even have a browser?

Yes, it has Microsoft Edge.

This all may be old news, but I feel it’s worth passing along - we’ve had a decent number of delistings from the Xbox Marketplace at end of year. Activision delisted a bunch of their Transformers games, such as Devastation, Revenge of the Fallen, War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron both on Xbox One and 360.also delisted Legend of Korra.

Several XBLA games were also delisted:

A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX
Chime
Deathspank: The Baconing
Greed Corp
Polar Panic
Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
The Adventures of Shuggy
Xotic

Not sure if those games are back compat or not. Presumably if you already own them you can still access and download them, but they’re no longer available to buy.

I own Chime and Runner 2, but on Steam, not XBLA.

Those are both decent games.

Yeah I own Greed Corp on Steam. I would guess if they were delisted on Xbox they were delisted everywhere, pretty sure that’s the case with the Activision Transformers games, but not 100% on that.

The nature of publishing titles on XBLA in the days of the 360 means they could very easily have been handled by a different company than on Steam, so it’s very easy for a title to no longer be available on XBL but still be fine on Steam. I don’t know the specifics for these games, though.

That looks to be the case for the second group, I just checked and you can still buy The Baconing on Steam. The Transformers games are gone though.

What’s up with Greed Corp? I don’t remember that having much in the way of licensing.

Anyone had an issue with the HBO Go app on Xbox? Suddenly it can’t play any videos. It errors out with a generic message about how it can’t play this video right now and some GUID that changes every time.

Just in case anyone was wondering, we haven’t seen any back compat announcements since the start of the year, and we had been told not to expect any at the end of the year. So, bit of a dry spell.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the technical issues with providing 360 backward compatability of games on the Xbone are largely a solved problem, and any delays going forward are due to licensing issues. Bear in mind that’s totally speculation on my part, I have no inside info. I don’t think they’re done releasing necessarily it bums me out to think that we may be on the downhill slide here. I guess maybe we’ll see in the coming weeks if more stuff is announced. Also, should see the next batch of original xbox games announced for back compat in the spring, so there’s that to look forward to. I’ve enjoyed playing Psychonauts and Crimson Skies again.

I have suspected the same.

That’s a bit of an assumption to make for a short dry spell. Teams took time off for Christmas and started coming back to work gradually over the last week or so. So I wouldn’t have expected any announcements in the first 2 weeks of January regardless. But that’s also just a guess.

Well, I’m not only basing this thought in the latest dry spell, there’s also the quantity of releases prior to that, and the kinds of games being updated. There are still a bunch of games out there that people have voted for on the request website that aren’t available, like the Modern Warfare games. But yes, I am drawing a conclusion that isn’t necessarily backed by real evidence.

Most of my BC wishes are Japan-only titles or niche JRPGs, so I’m probably boned from a licensing standpoint. ;_;

Yeah, I’m hoping Under Defeat gets a back compat release. Not sure how realistic that is.

I suspect there’s more technical work to be done for each individual game than you think. I don’t think they can just dump Ninja Gaiden II onto Xbox One that easily.

That would be an interesting case for the licensing since Black from Xbox has been added to BC, but maybe the deals were different in the 360 era. I’m not sure Team Ninja support Black/2 anymore compared to their Sigma/Sigma 2 remakes.

The JPN stuff isn’t that impossible. They put Strania on Xbox One recently. Never thought that would happen. It probably just depends on how easy/difficult it is to do it.

Personally, the BC catalogue has far exceeded my expectations. I figured it would basically be MS first/second party, a handful of indies generating goodwill, and maybe some franchises releasing the two-prequels-back version to drum up publicity. I never thought I’d see, for instance, NBA Jam.