The XBOX One

They’ve released some Cave shooters too, like Guwange. Certainly not impossible, just not sure how high a priority stuff like that is.

All the BC shmups have been XBLA releases - I can’t play Eschatos or any of my retail Cave stuff, regardless of release region.

Here’s more information about the soon-to-be-released revision of the original Xbox Duke controller. Of note: looks like it will sell for $70 and I am happy to learn it will have tiny bumper buttons at the top of the controller.

I’m holding out for this…

But seriously, the Duke was probably the best controller of its era, but I don’t get nostalgia being strong enough to actually make you want to use it again. The newest revisions of the Xbox One controller are soooo much better,

I used to think the same, until original Xbox backwards compatibility was announced, and it led me to buy a copy of JSRF, which I popped into the original Xbox that I still had in my parent’s basement. Just holding that thing felt soooooo much better than 360 and XB1 controllers. The way it fills my hand, the way the thumbsticks feel on the thumb, it’s just so much better.

I had kind of forgotten all that, and had assumed it was all nostalgia, but it turned out to be even better than I had remembered.

Edit:

Granted, the triggers are uncomfortable compared to more modern controllers. I did blisters playing racing games. And the white and black buttons are still completely unreachable.

I never used a controller quite like the Duke. And it wasn’t the size, though that always felt like a mountain out of a molehill situation to me. My hands aren’t enormous, and I found the Duke very comfortable. It was more about the feeling of solidness it had more than anything else, made other controllers (like the PS2 and Gamecube’s) feel like toys. I don’t remember the black and white buttons getting a ton of use in those older games, so I may find the placement to be tricky. But I think I’m going to buy one.

So, as I may have mentioned somewhere else, I purchased an Xbox One X instead of my old Xbox One. Both because I enjoy playing games on consoles, and always feel like I want the best, but also because all my Playstations have become JETENGINES after 4-6 months, which is apparently a common thing. I can’t stand that kind of noise so, the ultra quiet Xbox is a nice console for someone like me.

My question though is this - On the Ps4 I can see what an update is, and read the patch notes. Is there any way to do so on the Xbox ?

The only way I know of, personally, is to go to the Xbox Insider app. That lets me dig into the changes in the last update. But that is part of being part of the beta program, and getting updates early. I don’t really know of a way to check on changes for people not in the Insider program.

Changelogs

well, I meant for the games that update :-)

The Duke was great. It was large, but that was the point. It was very comfortable to hold (especially compared to the PlayStation controller, which cramps up my hand within minutes).

But MS pretty much nailed it with the 360 controller. Basically unchanged in form right up to today.

I won’t be near my Xbox to test this until after work, but this is what someone said on the Xbox forums:

I hated the original Xbox controller but all this hype is getting me excited for it. The power of advertising!

Good news everybody! We’ve got new back compat releases today. And two of them are pretty darn good games!

Sniper Elite V2
Far Cry 2
Driver San Francisco

Actually all three might be good, I never played Sniper Elite.

Edited to add that looks like Far Cry 2 is part of the weekly sale now, available to buy for $6.

Double edited to add oh no! Looks like Driver San Francisco is not available on the games marketplace? I’d love to play that again.

I’m glad they’re back to work!

Driver San Francisco is amazing.

Thanks, but no - That just brings up some nonsense codes.

So - there really are NO patch notes on the Xbox? Thats so weird.

Patches happen silently in the background. Personally, if I’ve ever cared to find out what a newly patched game has changed, I’d either read about it on the game’s site or on a gaming site. Also, games like Diablo, Subnautica, Fallout 4 sometimes mention the changes on the home screen.

It’s very rare that I pay attention to whether a game has recently been patched (it’s all mostly invisible) and even rarer that I care to find out more if I do.

Well, thats great for you - Both both Steam and PS4 has patch notes so that you can see exactly what changes occured, easily accessed, so I don’t have to go looking at the website of some game. Thats why its kinda surprising there is no way to do this here.
Hell - a lot of the talk on forums like this one, is about the latest updates, so its not like I’m being unreasonable in wanting them, as both Steam and Sony understands.

It is indeed. :)