The XBOX One

I wish the Xbone’s franchise would have been Sunset Overdrive but nobody listens to me.

I got that game for free on Games with Gold and it’s insufferable.

I wish the Xbox One’s franchise would be a good version of Destiny.

I respect your inalienable human right to be incorrect. Sunset Overdrive is a work of genius, and I think I’m already bored with the Destiny franchise.

They certainly had a more scattershot approach this generation. None of it quite landed. Sunset Overdrive, Ryse: Son of Rome, Rare Replay, Recore, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Quantum Break, even Titanfall, when it launched as an exclusive, wasn’t a big breakout hit.

They did better with Forza Horizon 3, Ori and the Blind Forest, and Cuphead. But yeah, they still don’t have a distinctive Xbox One hit that defines the generation.

Sunset Overdrive is garbage. I can’t think of a current gen exclusive I don’t feel bad about buying.

You people are nuts. Sunset Overdrive gave you a gun that fires exploding propane tanks at enemies. And another that guided a robot dog who could one shot most enemies, by firing little kitties you could set a trail toward your enemies. It had the goddamned Melvins, for chrissakes! There’s not a whole lot more one could ask.

Cuphead is great but it’s not moving $500 systems. Sony has locked up the good creators this gen, unfortunately.

I too am bored with Destiny but it has so much potential to be the greatest game ever made. They need to take the WoW content designers and Bungie’s FPS people and combine them into one Voltron of MMOFPS development. And stop balancing for PvP.

The answer is Ninja Gaiden 4. Do it, Phil!

Also the movement and city traversal in Sunset Overdive never stopped being fun. The combat and movement in that game was a delight. I’d love a sequel.

Who are the good content creators that Sony has locked up? I know there’s Naughty Dog, those guys always make solid stuff. But most of the other stuff I see doesn’t look like an obvious must-have, speaking as someone who doesn’t play JRPGs and is already drowning in open world exploration games.

There aren’t a lot of independent 3rd party developers (of AAA games) anymore. (I’m not referring to 3rd party studios such as EA and Activision). Most of them got culled or acquired in the last gen.

MS didn’t help themselves by gutting their first party studios about 6-7 years ago. They thought they had won the consoles wars, and in classic MS fashion, they decided they didn’t need to try as hard anymore.

Whoever made Nier and Horizon for starters. What does Xbox have that compares? No one gives a shit about Halo anymore.

They did a good job locking up PUBG but it’s buggy as fuck and nigh-unplayable right now. PUBG is probably selling Xbox One Xs, so that’s a good start, but Xbox still has no broad appeal beyond bro-shooters.

Let me rephrase my question: I think back to the PS2 era when you just had to own one in order to play the big games. Stuff like GTA, Metal Gear, probably others I forget. I owned an Xbox and a PS2 because I seriously felt like not owning one would cut me off from some great games. I also had way more spare time then, but that’s another story.

Now look at current gen. You can play GTA, Call of Duty, Destiny, pretty much all the big AAA games (not getting into first party). Not that there aren’t valid reasons to go one way or the other, but I personally don’t feel like either platform really has it locked up this time, content wise.

That would be Platinum, whose next game is a Switch exclusive and (unlike NieR Automata) won’t be ported to PC, well, ever.

I don’t know what Nier is, so I doubt it’s a blockbuster. Again, compare to GTA 3 or Vice City in the PS2 era, that stuff was everywhere.

I think of Horizon as exactly equivalent with Halo in that way - if I owned a PS4, no doubt I would buy it. But I’m not getting a PS4 just to play Horizon. Just like I play Halo because it’s pretty much ubiquitous, and cheap. Doubt I’d get an Xbox just for that though.

This thread is beginning to sound familiar…

I don’t disagree which is why I still have Xbox. Most of what I want to play is available. But the platform exclusives are not good. Cuphead and PUBG are the only ones worth mentioning, and they just hit this year. Sony has had like 10. Nintendo has had 5 must play exclusives this year alone, and they didn’t start until March.

PUBG isn’t really a guaranteed exclusive, either. They have been talking about putting it on PS4.

MS needs to buy it and dump programmers and resources at it to fix the performance.

For me, it isn’t necessarily about having to make every game a AAA blockbuster but having a breadth of options available. So games like Gran Turismo, Everybody’s Golf, and Tearaway on their own aren’t system sellers for me (Persona probably is but it isn’t technically a PS4 exclusive and isn’t a first party studio), but when you add them all up they offer a much more compelling library of exclusives than (in the case of Cuphead and PUBG) games I can pick up on Steam instead.

Nier Automata was a top contender for various GOTY awards in 2017 and sold over 2 million units.

I would imagine MS would love to buy PUBG, they just don’t seem to be on the market.