The XBOX One

Yep, the occasional price of accepting the most bleeding-edge updates :-(

It hit me over the weekend but it honestly wasn’t that big of a deal since most of my settings were automatically backed up, and everything else syncs with the cloud anyway. The only pain in the butt is needing to log back into Netflix / Hulu / etc.

Heh. Wow. Your depth perception must be amazing. Every time you fall down a bridge (which happens a lot), you lose a life. And you only get 3 lives. And so far, I haven’t found any way to gain a life. I’ve occasionally found hearts, but no lives. And sadly, when I lose all 3 lives, all my progress in the level is wiped out. So I’ve tried the first level 3 or 4 times now, meticulously going into every cave and nook and cranny to collect coins and stuff, but eventually I die and have to start over.

I actually thought these were already BC. Still, they’re pretty fun.

Overlord is great, especially if you’ve never had a chance to play Pikmin. Wish they’d put them on GamePass.

Also, another Inside Xbox coming up in about 2 hours, noon PST. Word is that Rocket League will be announced for Game Pass. Hoping for a new batch of original Xbox BC announcements, but I’m not holding my breath.

Hm, I recall finding extra lives pretty often. You might not be smashing enough stuff. SLT plays like a love letter to 3D Mario games, including the 1-up tokens scattered in levels.

I was smashing everything I found.

Keep in mind, I was stuck on the first level. Maybe lives get liberally doled out later in the game. Heck even the first heart showed up pretty late in the first level, and I’d already started it over a couple of times before I got to the first heart.

Ah, I do recall a slow start.

I think you get more lives based on how many coins you grab too. I may be wrong about that though. I know I got up to 14 lives at one point but then I hit a (relatively) tough point last night in the Scarrington world? The one with the ghosts anyway.

Oh, see I’ve never played Overlord because it looked goofy and I was resentful that Triumph wasn’t just staying a single-series studio by putting all their time and effort into Age of Wonders. But Pikmin you say? Well, shit. What have I been missing?

It’s the closest thing to Pikmin outside of a Nintendo console. The core gameplay is very similar, but with more active involvement from your Olimar substitute. And it has a lair improvement mechanic, which combines a skill tree with the palace beautification gimmick from the original Civ. I remember it being fairly funny as well, but to be fair it’s been ages and that may be rosetinted spectacles. I just checked and it turns out I have Overlord II on Steam, so I may have to reinstall it and give it another playthrough after I get through my summer sale backlog.

Looks like five games are leaving Game Pass at end of month:

Hm, Overcooked wasn’t on the pass for very long. Bounced hard off of Pharonic after two tries.

Dolby Vision HDR - Yay!

Pretty happy to see Dolby Vision being added to XB1. Note that it only applies for video playback though - games can’t use it.

From the article I read yesterday (Forbes), it’s only being added to Netflix streaming. Maybe it will be added for BluRay HD disc playback at some future time, and maybe even games?

Dolby Vision Video Streaming
Xbox is committed to bringing rich entertainment options to our fans. Today we are excited to announce our latest entertainment option, Dolby Vision video streaming support across Xbox One S and Xbox One X! Dolby Vision enables select TVs to take HDR up a notch with scene-by-scene precision and accuracy versus standard HDR which uses one setting for the entire movie/show you are watching. If you have a TV that supports the latest version of Dolby Vision and a Premium Netflix subscription jump in and experience Dolby Vision for yourself in the coming weeks!

Reading that it doesn’t seem clear to me. I assume Amazon Video - which has Dolby Vision content - would also get support at some point. I’d also think 4K Blu-rays would as well.

Figured @kerzain would dig this article, if no one else. I’ve never even heard of Unepic or Owlboy, have to check these out.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n33541/the-best-xbox-metroidvania-games-available-in-2018

Thanks I will check the article out tonight.

Unepic is aggressively mediocre - the characters are unlikable to a degree that feels intentional even though it’s probably not, the attempts at humor are even worse, and the gameplay isn’t even very good to make up for everything else being bad.