The XBOX One

I agree. And one of the nice things is that it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome. It isn’t too short, either- it just gets in, does it’s thing, and finishes. No padding with additional content, etc.

Loved it! Some of the most memorable levels I’ve ever played. For $6 it’s a steal!

FUCKING BUY IT YOU LEAKY TIT.

What he said.

Crap, I forgot, cover your caps lo—

TOO LATE

Xbox Deals I Like from the sale this / next week:
Dangerous Golf - $6.60
Ryse: Legendary Edition - $7.50 (decent even if you only need the DLCs)
Pillars of Eternity - $15
Necropolis - $7.50 (online co-op)
Livelock - $4 (online co-op)
Little Nightmares complete - $12
Elex - $24
Uno - $5 (it’s UNO!)
Black & White Bushido - $6.50 (4 player online)
Chess Ultra - $9.37 (4K support, online multiplayer)
Battlezone Gold - $23.44 (4 player co-op)
Flatout 4 - $15 (Stunt mode is a fun party game)
Killer Instinct - $10 (play anywhere, great fighting game)
Burnout Paradise - $20
Forza Horizons 3 bundle - $39.24 (has everything from FH3)
X-Morph/Zombie Driver bundle - $14 (games are much more separately)
Chroma Squad - $7.50 (tactical RPG)
Battle Worlds: Kronos - $3 (strategy)
LEGO Star Wars: Force Awakens Deluxe - $12 (terrible movie but lots of classic Star Wars throwback characters)
Tropico 5 Complete - $16 (fun be-the-dictator strategy game)

360 Deals I got:
Fallout 3 - $7.49 (had disc, all DLC, wanted digital)
Fallout: New Vegas - $7.49 (had disc, all DLC, wanted digital)
TC’s Rainbox Six Vegas (1) - $6.59 (had disc, all DLC, wanted digital)
Injustice - $6 (love the game, wish DLC was on sale)
Civilization Revolution - $7.49 (great popcorn strategy game)

I haven’t been able to play anything all day, Xbox Live is having problems.

Oh, another thing I noticed: Destiny 2 and all expansions for $20. The season pass price seems to have permanently (?) dropped to $20 as well.

Thanks for the Fallout:NV tip- I haven’t had a chance to go through the 360 games yet.

How is Tropico 5 on console? I played 3 or 4 on PC, and it seems like it would be a pain to play with a controller, and without my face smashed against the screen.

I played it on PS4 for several hours. It was very playable. Occasionally finding individual citizens was challenging though.

Ponied up for one year of XBL Gold for $40, expecting that the additional discount going gold will exceed that (I hope, at least) – there are a number of games I really want to pick up. So far have just picked up Tomb Raider for $6. Looking at Titanfall 2, Forza Horizon 3 Complete, GTA 5 (have for PS4, would rather for XBO), Burnout Paradise, XCOM 2, Kingdom Come (PS4 -> XBO), Okami HD (worth it? only other version I have is the PS2 one), Steep, Assassin’s Creed: Origins (PS4 -> XBO), Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, Injustice 2, Mafia III (PS4 -> XBO), maybe Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

That’s a great list! A few thoughts…

• Forza Horizons 3 bundle is a fantastic deal.
  • GTA 5 online keeps adding content. It’s a little overwhelming at first but great fun once you get going.
  • Okami HD is definitely nicer than the PS2 version visually. Great gameplay too.
  • Steep has the “Road to the Olympics” DLC that adds quite a bit.
  • Injustice 2’s Ultimate edition is worth the upgrade. Adds all the DLC characters, level cap is raised from 20->30, and there is an ultimate challenge for each character to unlock a special weapon.

I’ve done quite a few PS4 -> XB1 conversions myself. Generally the visuals are better on XB1X. With all those games it is also good to know the XB1 supports two external drives - PS4 only allowed one.

You might also consider Gamepass. I’m not a fan of renting generally myself but Gamepass offers enough variety to make it a good value. If you like playing multiplayer it is a good way to ensure you have some of the same games as others too. And with all future first party titles coming to the service it is hard to argue the price.

I do like the change in the menu MS has implemented, including the XGP games as a “ready to install” list instead of making users go into that section of the store and go game-by-game. They did the same for EA Access and GWG. I think that goes a long way to making the benefits more accessible and readily discoverable with casual browsing. I can only think that people will not want those parts of their menu going away by allowing their subscriptions to lapse.

I know it was pretty clunky at first, but now I regard the XB1 interface as far easier and accessible than the PS4’s.

It takes some getting used still The new groups and the Gamepass section you mention have definitely improved things.

I wish the store cross linked games and DLC more consistently. I also wish it was loads faster. Seems to be a web view though, which is limiting.

Wishing Vampyr and/or No Man’s Sky was on sale. May try out Forza Horizons 3 - been thinking about that one for a year or so.

Well, No Man’s Sky went up for pre-order yesterday, and the price is $49.95, $10 cheaper than I was fearing upthread. I can’t find it on the Xbox store anywhere, but it is on the MS store site for pre-order here:

For pre-ordering, you get some sort of booster pack, a gun and an Xbox-themed suit.

Yep, have Game Pass (and now XBLG for a year) – wonderful service!

Looking for some help.

Having some issues with Xbox One controllers and headsets.

I have 4 controllers 2 of the original and 2 with the new 3.5mm jack.

My eldest was using a chat headset with mic on his controller, yesterday my younger son used it downstairs on his and when my eldest used it the mic didnt work any longer. Tried all the volume settings etc it just no longer works. - My youngest swears blind he didnt do anything.

The thing is neither of the 2 controllers with the audio jack work at all with anything plugged in the jack socket. Tried 6 different headsets and nothing from either controller yet all work fine on my pc. - Controllers must be knackered, well the jack sockets - How the hell could they do that, not like its a known weakness.

Mostly it seems to be the Mic’s stop working. They both swear they dont mess around with them but something is stopping them working.

I’m fed up spending cash on new ones time and again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Shotgunning some ideas. My first guess is they’ve muted themselves somewhere along the way. It may be an account level setting now.

Troubleshooting: join a party. Turn on the party overlay. This will show when the Xbox thinks someone is talking. Won’t help if muted but you can access the mute function from there.

In the Audio and Video (?) section of Settings there are a few things that can be changed only when you have a headset plugged in. Perhaps there’s something in there. Set everything to stereo for testing.

Headsets themselves - have you tried an Xbox specific headset? PCs usually use a pair of inputs (headphones + mic) versus the Xbox’s combined input. Make sure the headsets have 3 black rings on the connector, not two.

There are also two standards for headset connectors. This Microsoft article explains the difference with diagrams lower down.

None of my ideas really explains why they’d ever work though. :(

Long shot, but it might be worth checking to see if the controllers need to be updated. I remember having some issues where one or more of my controllers would ‘lose’ the update somehow, and I had to re-update them.

Look in the settings for devices, it should tell you if a controller needs an update.

(I would give more detailed description of where in the settings to look, but won’t be in front of my xbox until after work)

Thanks for the ideas. Have tried them, I am loathe to believe it but I think the kids break them even though they deny it. Reports say the jack socket can come away easy so a few drops could knacker them.