The XBOX One

If it’s from November, it will still be under warranty, so Amazon have to take it back.

Yeah, I thought they might. And I kind of like the idea of getting a brand new model as a replacement, since I only have a bog standard One X.

Thanks for your help @Ginger_Yellow. I went with the Amazon returns option. It’s painless to organise with them. They send you a tracked and prepaid return label and refund the original purchase price through your card. I can then repurchase the console brand new.

Crosspost from Battlestar Galactica Deadlock thread:
On sale on Xbox for 50% off ($15) in celebration of the multiplayer update.

I just looked up Blacklist. Digital release a couple days ago. For free.

Not sure if this is a Canadian only thing, but here’s the link:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Tom-Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Blacklist/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802555308b6

Damn, must be Canada only. When I log into the site, there’s no option to dl Blacklist at all, for any price, but I can see it in your link before I do log in. Still, I didn’t know there was a digital version at all. Wonder why we can’t have it in the states?

There wasn’t a digital version. It being free appears to be a glitch as a side effect of it going up for back compat and now it’s taken down.

“Hey Xbox Game Pass fans! We’re not doing that ‘new games on the first of the month’ thing anymore. And we’re not going to bother telling you that, except maybe in sarcastic shitposts from third parties.”

I’m not following your issue @RickH.

https://majornelson.com/2018/08/01/new-xbox-game-pass-titles-for-august/

Hey neat. Hitman: Season 1.

Plus “metroidvania-style action” in Dandara perked up my ears. Hopefully that’s a good one.

Ryse: Son of Rome, I’ve already played through, and I was surprised that I kind of loved it. I think that one was also given away as part of GwG at one point.

I could stealth edit to announcing the XGP games but eh. I checked for an announcement before making the post and it had not been made yet. I don’t think that the break with past practice of pre-announcing was very professional.

Just to follow up on this discussion, there is now a digital download version of Splinter Cell Blacklist available! How about that.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/product/Tom-Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Blacklist/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802555308b6

I’d buy it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it will be GwG in the near future.

Hey, one other thing, any of you guys ever have problems with achievements unlocking? I have at times seen the thing with an achievement saying it was 100% complete, but you’d have to wait a little while until it actually unlocked.

But yesterday I was playing The Witcher 3 and did a few things that should have unlocked achievements but they didn’t. I googled a bit, and the general consensus seemed to be to do a hard reset, so I did. I guess I somewhat naively hoped that in itself would unlock the achievements, but no go. So I sucked it up, reverted to an earlier save and ran back through. And that did work, the achievements unlocked.

I guess for whatever reason the triggering event just didn’t tell the Xbox service to unlock the achievement. It’s been such an invisible and more or less flawless process for me for over ten years, I just took it for granted. I hope it’s not a console flaw and worse things start happening.

I’ve had achievements pop up the next time I launch a game. Also at inexplicable times while playing the game will apparently suddenly realize I should have some old achievement.

Yeah, I’ve had the same happen to me.

Only on Xbox One, mind you. Never had a problem with achievements popping on the 360. It was always smooth there. Not sure how they screwed that up for Xbox One.

Yeah, the 360 was rock solid for achievements. This smells like a data rate optimization for the backend. I can imagine situations - Christmas Day afternoon for one - where the traffic load from lots of people earning lots of achievements would overload the backend ingest point. My guess is they added a best-effort queue system. If your achievement gets dropped the game will eventually post it again.

This is similar to how Gamerscore cheaters prosper. Hack so you can load up someone else’s saved game. The game then awards all the achievements on your account.

I didn’t know you could share game saves, I guess I figured they were assigned to gamer tag or the underlying MS account.

You can’t normally. That’s why I said:

I guess I should have asked clarification. I mean there’s hacks and then there’s hacks, right?

I’m going back to the early 360 days when “Strip Club DJ” was in a race to be the first player to hit 100,000 gamerscore here but basically it involved hardware level hacking to get the 360 to ignore the saved game file signature. How I remember it.