The XBOX One

Looks like a bunch of older Final Fantasy games are getting ported over to Xbox in the coming year -

Oh Lord. A reason to own another copy of Final Fantasy X. I’ll take it. Damn it, I can’t quit playing that game.

It’s too bad that it comes with X-2.

I’m also very curious to try Final Fantasy IX. That one got great reviews. I couldn’t really get too far into FF VII. I had my best try at it back in 2007, when I got about 15 hours into the story, and I got to a certain character’s home, who later famously dies. But I got distracted by other stuff and never felt compelled to go back. Maybe if the new FF VII remake is good, I’ll give it another try.

FFIX for the experience, FF-X for the achievements and to re-experience the story for the 6th time! Yay!

I’m not terribly interested, but then I think maybe it would be fun to try Final Fantasy VII again? That’s the last one I was really into, I mean kind of obsessed, even breeding chocobos and collecting all the summons. I remember that, and Resident Evil 2, were what finally pushed me to pick up a PlayStation. And look, here they are back again, twenty years later!

If you haven’t played Final Fantasy X, I would highly recommend it. Yes, it’s cheesy at points, idiosyncratic in that Japanese way, but it’s got a good heart, an excellent overall story, and really fun turn-based boss battles that are genuinely exciting.

My post wasn’t worded well - I actually have played FF X, it just didn’t really grab me. FF 7 is the last one I would say really did, and even that one probably not as much as the SNES games. I just found the plot of FF X to be too “out there” for me. There’s a monster, it’s called Sin, and it dreams up people that fight it? Anyway, I know I’m not remembering much about it, it just wasn’t really my thing.

Heh, yeah, the plot can seem pretty out there at first. As you make your journey across the land, they explain more and more of the world to you in drips and drabs, until you have a complete picture by the end of the game. I originally got FFX as a rental, so I was trying to rush through the thing as fast as possible, and that’s the best way to play the game, both from a gameplay perspective, and a plot perspective since the information that makes the world around you make sense comes at you faster.

On the other hand, I know you’re a completionist, and would probably chaff at trying to hurry through a game, so maybe that advice is a non-starter.

FF XII??? Yes!!!
The rest I can play on the Vita, but I would love to replay IX (my favorite FF) if it has upgraded resolution and improvements made to PC port (especially increase combat speed).

Still, XII is one damn fine reason for me not to pick up a PS4…ok, Microsoft, now these: Persona 4, any Yakuza game, Bloodthorne. Thanks!

And I really liked FF X, currently playing it on Vita. But I keep hearing X-2 is actually not bad.

I’d do some fairly unpleasant things, like maybe even park in a handicapped spot, to get Dragon Quest XI on Xbox One. I mean, I’d feel bad about it, but I’d do it.

Also, looks like this is a free weekend to play The Division. I highly recommend giving it a look if you haven’t already, I really enjoy it.

I found the first hour or so amazingly bland, does it get better?

Short answer is yes, but. There are some definite caveats to be aware of going into it, that I wish I had known. It plays like any other third person shooter, but it’s worth remembering that it’s an RPG - if you’re underleveled or poorly equipped, you’re going to end up plinking away at enemies that can one shot you. Also, the main campaign is basically the opener of the game, once you beat that and hit level thirty, the game opens up for you. I thought that was kind of cool, but I can see people being irritated that they had to work their way through the entire campaign to get to what they might consider the “good stuff.” If you don’t want to be in for the long haul, it may not be worth your time.

New gamepass tasks on the dashboard:

Play Halo MCC for a couple hours
Get a few Halo MCC achievements

The reward this time is a 5$ gift card.

Gah, but I already own MCC, I don’t want to waste my precious Game Pass time on a game I already own! On the other hand, $5 is a much bigger incentive than the “chance” to win an Xbox One X, where chance likely equals close to zero.

The multiplayer has finally been fixed. So you can match make games reliably now . Three years later but better than never.

So the quest description for that reads to me like the $5 is available to use only against buying ODST add-on for the MCC, is that incorrect?

True. That’s what I thought too. How about it @Gigglemoo? You think it’s just $5 credit for anything?

I don’t think Xbox has any $/coupons you have to use on specific products.

It’s a little weird. They usually just award DLCs in messages. I got one of those for Rangers of the Broken Planet and an Elder Scrolls pet from the summer quests. Maybe they wanted to reward people who already owned ODST this time around for checking out the updates.

I’ll be buying it either way :) Never played that one, and apparently it got the 4K upgrade too.

Since I bought MCC at launch, and it had all those issues, I got ODST for free. But after the initial disappointment at launch of not being able to play Halo 2 multiplayer again for nostalgia’s sake, I have to admit, I’ve never re-installed MCC since then.

If they really have fixed matchmaking and multiplayer and I can play Halo 2 multiplayer, maybe it’s worth re-installing it after all.

Brutal Legend FUUUUUUCK yeah! I was so sure music licensing would keep this from going backward compatible! So glad to be wrong.

WTF is Greg Hastings Paintball 2? Who the fuck is Greg Hastings?