The XBOX One

My Xbone has been gathering dust for quite a while now but I picked up that $2 gamepass deal to try out Crackdown 3. Was disappointed to learn that the standard Xbone doesn’t support 4k! Booooooooooo. We picked up a 4k TV a few months ago and have been enjoying it on the PS4.

I liked Lost Planet 2, but never got all the way through. I really should do that now.

Code Veronica on the Dreamcast was something special for me at the time, being completely 3D and having better zombie animations, but I don’t actually remember anything now about the story or
characters unlike with the first three games. Will probably get this to replay it.

Always curious about the Lost Planet games but seems they all got mixed reviews. Man, how many BC titles are there now? Incredible.

So yeah, it’s a rumor, but a really interesting one:

Hell yeah if true. If my monthly Game Pass subscription provides titles on Xbox, PC, and Switch that would be awesome.

It already has tremendous value.

They lost me at streaming. I don’t think I’ll be satisfied with that. More actual ports of MS games to the Switch could certainly be interesting though.

I would have agreed with you totally until I played Odyssey on Google’s streaming service. Looks like people are really upping their game, so to speak.

When you download State of Decay, the oddities begin immediately. Instead of downloading from the Microsoft Store server, serverdl.microsoft.com, where all content comes from including PlayAnywhere titles, the game downloads from assets1.xboxlive.com.

What it looks like Microsoft is doing, instead of porting each Xbox feature back to the PC one by one, they are simply dumping the entire Xbox one installation/servicing plumbing and making it the primary installation for Windows.

When you extract the installer from the Store after downloading, you will discover that it is using the .xvc file format. While that may not sound familiar, Microsoft introduced this format around 2013 specifically for Xbox One games. Further, you can now install this file format using PowerShell in 19H1; I never thought I would write the words “PowerShell can now install Xbox One games” but here we are.

When you install State of Decay, you get a legacy DX installation setup prompt that does a classic, non-sandboxed, and non-store based installation of DirectX dependencies to your system directory. You can see what this looks like in the screenshot at the top of the post.

This is interesting. I don’t know why (I’m in the cloud and O365 space), but it is.

I would like to see the OMG THIS A MESS XBone interface cleaned up, though. It’s like the start menu from hell.

I would even be happy if they just remove the Mixer tab. That is such an annoyance to me and I would love the allocated system and network resources freed up from something that subtracts from my user experience.

I know it won’t happen while Microsoft keeps pushing the Twitch competitor. Sigh.

I’ve tried playing the Xbone again and the interface is just killing me. Maybe I’m too familiar with the PS4 by now but it just feels so overly awkward.

The best changes in the Xbox One interface have been the Groups, but they take some effort to setup. You can add the most used apps to your pins, and then put all the rest of your games in as many groups as you like to create, which can help organize all your games.

PS4 has something similar, but since I only own about 15 games on it, total, I just put everything under a “Games” category.

I love that feature.

I made a group for my son and one for my wife and filled it with their most used apps (Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, a few games for my son, etc.) That way they don’t have to fight the UI trying to access what they need. That is a huge advantage because I have a lot of games installed and Apps like Netflix are pretty buried for someone not plugged into the hobby and Microsoft’s frequent UI reorganizations.

For myself I know how to find what I need and leave all of my games unorganized.

I’m in the opposite boat. Since I normally play on Xbox and am usually only ever on PS4 for exclusives and PS+ games, I often get confused by the PS4’s UI.

For example, I don’t like that I need to scroll all the way to the right just to see my entire library. Then in my library, the labels they present aren’t super clear on what I have installed, what’s not installed, and so forth.

The Games and Apps UI on Xbox One is super clean, easy to sort and filter however I want, and cleanly breaks out the hundreds of games I have into “this is what’s installed”, “this is what I own”, and “this is what I got from Gold”.

The Xbox UI is also much nicer when it comes to managing USB disks, moving stuff between those disks, and deleting stuff I don’t want.

And for navigating the main shell, I absolutely love the Guide that pops up when hitting the jewel on the controller now. I can do most of what I want to right from there, including seeing all the groups I set up, which I’ve split into “Current playing”, “Up next”, “Media apps”, and whatever else I’m feeling at the time.

Those are… interesting choices. (Swipes left)

Frog blast the vent core!

Most of the heavy hitters are already done. There are a few exceptions, Ninja Gaiden 2 which must be a nightmare to get emulated since licensing shouldn’t be an issue there. And I’m a little concerned that we haven’t heard any news about more original Xbox games.

How does Burnout: Revenge play on BC?

/also note to self: hook the PS3 back up.