The XBOX One

Another tombstone for the MS graveyard of corporate ADD. There’s a nice spot between UltimateTV and BOB. Four ActiMates Teletubbies stand silent vigil over the headstones until the VHS cassette rewinds and gives them the command to mourn.

I still have a Zune and use it in my car.

Some speculation this is sort of part of a deal with getting xCloud integration into Instagram.

FB integration is fine and makes perfect sense for a console. What’s important is that they allow users to turn it off, and to stop MS from sharing their information with FB.

What do those words even mean?

The 360 did that, you could have you Xbox post achievements you earned and the like to your Facebook feed. That was all voluntary.

xCloud is like Microsoft’s Stadia. Here’s a Phil Spencer quote if it helps

In the meantime, we will continue to invest time, energy, and resources to bring Project xCloud to global scale through Azure. We’re always testing new features and learning, and we’re excited to explore further as we look to debut click-to-play scenarios within the Facebook Gaming and Instagram communities.

I know what xCloud is. I don’t understand what it means for it be integrated with Instagram. Can’t you post stuff to Instagram from Xbox anyway?

It’s about click to play from those sites. So thing gets posted to Instagram, you see it and think it looks neat, then can click within Instagram to start playing it. Plus there’s all the pie in the sky stuff if they ever manage to work out with save states they could start you right at that encounter to see if you could do it better than so and so.

What do you use your Kin for?

Isn’t instagram just pictures of food & models? What does that have to do with games?

Whatever Clippy tells me to.

Spencer and Major Nelson confirmed on Twitter today that there’s going to be no kind of forced integration with Facebook or anything.

It sounds like this is mostly about giving Instagram the same functionality YouTube is supposed to eventually have with Stadia - the ability to launch into xCloud games and stuff directly from the website.

Mixer was removed as it’s own tab from the Xbox dash a while ago too, so unless you “opt-in” to this kind of stuff (which I won’t be), I imagine it’ll be pretty much invisible to you. They also said you’ll have the ability to stream to more than Facebook Gaming from your Xbox.

Honestly, after reading up more, I’m not really clear on what Facebook even got in this Mixer deal.

Some of the “talent” will probably move over (Facebook takes over the contracts for those who want to do that), and I guess they hope the people who watch on Mixer will follow as well (there’s a Facebook page that links to the Facebook pages of Mixer streams you follow). So they’ll end up with more streamers and people watching streams on their platform. But, yeah, I can’t imagine Facebook paid much for this “deal”.

New games coming to Game Pass soon:

I played Observation when it was released on Epic Games Store a while back, I liked it. Sort of in line with Tacoma, Turing Test and Deliver Us the Moon (all of which are on Game Pass, oddly enough). The Messenger is already on PC Game Pass, as is Night Call.

It will be nice to finally be able to play Night Call. I still launch that game regularly on PC, hoping it will work, but I still can’t get past the title screen. Over the last few months, the curiousity has just grown and grown from looking at that title screen. What could the game be about? What kind of graphics did they use to represent being a cab driver in Paris? I wonder if you get to see any famous landmarks? How deep can you talk to your passengers?

Also there’s a new video out showing a quick look at some new ID@Xbox stuff coming soon -

I recognize Falconeer, which I believe had the developer show up to discuss in the game’s thread here. I like the look of Trash Sailors and Dead Static Drive, personally.

Yeah, those three really stood out, but they all had a neat style. I’m glad Xbox seems to have repaired its rep with indie devs.

Yep, those are games all right.

Sweeeeet. I almost bought WRC 8 in the last sale. I had that exact thought, that it will probably be free with Gold or Game Pass soon, so I shouldn’t do it.

I already own Saints Row 2. I haven’t heard of the other two.