Thea 2: The Shattering

They get a little leeway as an indie game developer from me, but if they released it say tomorrow it would still be in better shape than not a few games I’ve played at release. The biggest thing they are going to want to avoid is forcing new games on people when they change their database. If they can be as close to being certain they can update without doing that, they’re gtg. It’s not a good player experience to encounter that.

They had an update on the 7th and on the 11th and both updates required a new game to avoid problems. The only real bugs I’ve encountered have been MP based, connect lost, which is not frequent at all and easy enough to recover from. I expect balance tweaks, more events, just stuff like that even post release so… while I think it might just be a little premature because most the updates are requiring that restart and they change made a few changes to some of the bigger mechanics, resources and children-growing up, without a lot of time to toy with them… they’re looking more like a tweak, a balance than an overhaul at this point.

It’s pretty solid right now, aside from that freaking database thing.

Thanks for the great reply and it sounds like I will likely start play May 13th. The new game-database issue probably won’t be that big of a deal to me, because I usually see it as an excuse to play smarter the next time.

It’s true even in Thea 1 you would restart, replay, level up your god, and that sort of thing. It can feel repetitive to some because of that but man I swear every time I got my ship ready to check out a new island, and I finally have a party ready to do that… restart. Ugh!

It probably helps that I play really slowly, so I usually won’t be losing a lot of progress.

Definitely, and even more so if you don’t care about starting over.

This came from Muha Games’ Facebook page.

Trailer.

It’s out and 15% off for the first week!

did they figure out how to make combat good

If you didn’t like the first game’s combat, I doubt you’ll like the second’s. They’ve made it even more intricate with play order and positioning getting more complex. The Auto-Resolve works quite well however. Most of the piddly battles are perfect wins for it. Then again, I’m playing my first game on Easy, so the easy battles are really easy.

If you liked the first Thea overall, it seems like the sequel is a step forward. I’m fine with the combat, and I really like a lot of the changes that they made throughout the rest of the game. I mostly play this game as a strategy-RGP, enjoying the strategy part a lot more than the tactical.

I would say yes. In the original there was maybe to much randomness, in this there is all kinds of tactical goodness - positioning (frontline, backline + position in line), timing/order of attack, bunch of skills/attacks and even pets that can join in the fight.

I’m enjoying this combat alot more than the first one. It’s also much more accessible (UI, overviews etc). Im still on the first island, so don’t know how it will keep up tho.

There are also som badass portraits :-)

(She has a boar as a pet, it can be summoned on the battlefield)

Lost a good chunk of the weekend to this game. Very addicting. :)

Same here!

One thing I really like is the way autoresolve works. It gives you a result on a 5 point scale going from complete failure to perfect victory, and then asks if you want to keep that result or do it manually.

I just bought the game and, to my dismay, found that the game is played in extreme zoom-in mode and you can’t zoom out at all. You’re just stuck in claustrophobia land. They said they wanted to add a zoom mode before the 1.0 release but were prevented by a broken shader. I hope they add it soon or I’ll have to get a refund.

It’s actually worse than the screenshot below. Looks like they zoomed in even more for the game release version.

Stop buying strategy games I don’t yet own! (grumble) (grumble)

According to their latest news post, it should be in the next patch, due on the 28th.

Wonderful! Thanks.

You keep throwing out the challenge, I keep accepting it, lol.

Actually, I had no plan to buy it at this time but then I saw it was 15% off and had a bundle discount on top of that (I already own the first one) for over 30% off total. The discount expired today and the $16.99 bottom line kicked me right over the edge. So here we are.

Can someone who’s played the game explain coal to me? I’m about out of wood for camping and haven’t been able to find a wood supply. I did just find some coal though and set up camp to gather it. However, after gathering some, it still is counting down the turns until I run out of wood. Can you not use coal instead of wood for camping? If you can, how do you switch to using coal for camping?

Assuming you haven’t turned it off for burning, you’ll just start using it automatically. I don’t know what the threshold is for the warning.

Coal is also used to transform materials (for T3 and later) but you won’t need to do that until later in the game (I’ve not yet reached that point myself.)

Thanks for the answer. I don’t have coal turned off for burning but it ignores it as fuel for some reason. Fortunately, I was able to find some wood at last (had just 3 left) and now have a ton of it.