Thea 2: The Shattering

It’s either the tavern one or maybe the one right after it. I forget what it’s called but you wind up facing a few notable character classes, like a bandit group or something, and shortly after that I was directed to rafts and ships. I don’t do rafts though, only ships.

Thanks. I’ll look for it.

I’m going to be a bit sad when I finally learn all the events. I’ve lost my last 4 games before I set up a village, the last 2 I never even made it off the starting island.

I got a bit cocky after a few good games in a row and the game has put me back in my place a bit. Wonderful!

We’ve been through the same event, the bear and figurine one, at least a dozen times if not more… last night a new options showed up… and we failed it. Now we’ve got to figure out how we got that additional option AND how to succeed. It shows you the completion of available quests or something in the summary… not even close to 100% so far. I am curious if that’s even possible for one play through due to the gods.

I’m now at turn 170 or so, still on the first island. So many interesting things to do here still. Somehow I feel like I know my party better than I did in the first game. They have more distinct profiles, somehow. I like that a lot.

I ran into that quest again in my MP game, the one that directs you to another island. It’s definitely there but you don’t have to wait or anything. The main story quest will, at some point, guide you to other places but it’s solely based on completing those quests, not turn counts or levels or anything like that.

Interesting game, glad I found this thread.

Is there anyway to see the attack cards that you are fighting? For example, in the top row is maybe a brain or a door or a bite. What are they? What do they do? I tried to click or hover over them but I don’t see any extra info.

Once they’ve played a card you can middle-click on it to see all of it’s potential attacks. If there’s a way to do it without a middle mouse button or before the card has been played I don’t know of it.

Oh wow, middle mouse - great, thanks!

So I shared something with my sister tonight that I thought i might share here because apparently she wasn’t noticing the same thing I am.

In an MP game, if your parties are close enough you can join up and complete the same challenge. The person who encounters the challenge, triggered the vent essentially, gets to choose the direction of the story piece, or where you choose the challenge if there is an option. In battle you get to control your own folks. Anyway, she asked me why I rarely don’t use the attack option as often as she does, even for the groups I don’t have faction concerns with. I told her I’ve observed that if I use the other challenges, I tend to get bonuses more often, not just the temporary ones but actually additions too attributes. I am often wiling to take a risk to get that for the later battles.

I am also choosing Wits way more often when it shows up because on other islands, I got myself in a bind for having my best hitters extremely powerful but… really slow.

I’ve definitely been valuing Wits, I’ll take it almost every time it’s offered +2 and sometimes even at +1.

I’ve also noticed what you mentioned there and find it’s a bit of a trade off.

I feel I get more material rewards with the physical option, often finding this is the best way to get higher tier materials. It’s so nice though when I get stat boosts hitting relevant characters by choosing a Mental or Magic battle. I feel this is a nice compromise and gives me another choice to make between likely better materials vs potentially better non-material bonuses.

I am getting into a bit of a rut in terms of how I go about my games right now though. It’s so easy to start a super-village with 4 total gathering radius and +16 crafting/gathering that turtling seems a bit too strong. Except in situations like my last game where the game refused to give me any people so I didn’t have enough to split up. I might have to just start playing nomadic games or limit my starting city to lesser choices.

I’d turn the difficulty up more but I feel that’s more likely to lead to even heavier turtling. Maybe turning it down but being nomadic would be more of a sweet spot for me.

You’re right. It is a trade-off. But…

The light-bringers started kicking my ass at the second island, and every time they went at me, it was yellow or purple, so I am trying to max those out. Now they’ve played a lot with light-bringers, as in increased them prior to release and then nerfed them again so maybe it won’t be as bad.

Thea had kind of the same thing going for it in terms of learning, like once you start seeing the threats down the line you adjust at the beginning of your next game to accommodate that even though it costs you early on, or might even destroy you. Heh. I’ve done that before.

I have been nomadic the entire time since official release with a loose plan of making a village not on the starter island. I’ve not gotten very far so far but I am almost 100% MP right now, and I am not kidding x2 to x4 times longer to advance the game in MP.

I’ve never been willing to play multiplayer strategy games for just that reason. I play fast, too fast. I figure at least half of my games are lost simply due to incredibly obvious mistakes that no one would make if they thought about it for even 10 seconds.

Eventually I play enough thanks the the extra games I get in to win despite the fast pace but I definitely lose a lot more than I should while I’m learning!

I think it’s too late for me to bother trying to learn patience now though.

Yeah it’s not really a game you would play with a random person. It plays out for weeks, and you gotta be willing to call it quits if either group goes down. I’ve been playing with my sisters for decades, so I am pretty used to it, but this particular game and her habits just makes it so super long.

Wow, tried this in co-op for 2 hours and also kept my single-player game going for a few more hours.

This is a very good game. Its super deep, I like the combination of personal scale (characters, skills equipment) and larger strategy (research, location, factions). The story events keep it interesting and the randomness (skill availability, resource locations, faction placement) keep it varied.

Thanks so much for all of the posts in this thread. I am still a newbie, and don’t have much to offer. The Steam forums have some good advice, like:

“If you know you can’t win a battle you’ve been forced into, surrender in the combat field. You will fail, but take significantly less damage and the outcome won’t punish you so severely.”

"When a group attacks you they pick the combat option (physical, social or magic) that they are strongest in. Most groups are strongest in physical thus why they attack in physical. "

And this site has some good guides, however they are unpolished and not perfect English:

https://gameplay.tips/guides/3552-thea-2-the-shattering.html

Oh yeah. They don’t actually tell you that do they? It was similar in 1 I think (yes I, on occasion, confuse the 2. 2 has that near perfect mix of familiar to new that makes it hard to unwind a bit.)

Anyway I have a fairy that is super fast, has Ancient Voice (lets you attack shields and life for yellow and purple events) at the same time with swarm. Since he can target any 3 cards at a time, my MP group is pretty bad-ass at especially yellow, do to other characters, not bad a purple. With Swarm he can get up in the 20s so this means, if I put him down twice, he can often be in the front of everyone. If the same target is down twice, they often are, and I hit him twice per card, I can take down someone in their 80 / 90s yellow with him alone. My sister likes to say… wow. When i do this with her in the battle.

On the bad side, I have no warriors, no craftsman, not one who can wield big weapons or armor. A large pig can challenge my attack when it’s red. As a result, I engage everything on the map when I can so I get to choose the attack.

I keep hoping for a little Conan, but I’ve had no luck so far. Because of the mix of my group, and my nature Domain I often get a choice to do something other than attack, even if it’s just an option to weaken the the attack/red challenge.

The Chance option for kids growing up, as well as some events, is the way I wind up with unusual characters. It can be a really cool outcome or… not so good at all.

I am a little inconsistent with my spoilers. I am trying to hide anything that someone might prefer to figure out themselves. The attacker vs being attacked one though really should be in the tutorial… I think.

Yep, that would have been nice to know.

I also haven’t figured out exactly what choices I get when I attack lightbringer spawns (and maybe cities)? I’d swear in a previous game I used physical against them, but this game my only choice is mental. I was careful to balance my group but mental is my weaker bit this time around.

Either I’m misremembering a previous game (certainly possible) or something is limiting my choices. Your choice of spoiler option is what I generally try to follow.

Possibly the domains of the God I’m following or what I picked on my divine path quest.

Current game is going well, found a nice spot early on Orc island and managed to get enough defenses up before things started happening. Which unfortunately means I’m now in the one part of the game I don’t enjoy much, when I’ve won but it’s going to take me another 1-400 turns to prove that to the computer depending on what decisions I make.

Probably mostly my fault as I get too conservative once I’m set up with my village.

Yeah, I also ran into this. What causes it are the domains of the god you choose to play the game with. The starting god’s domains allow you to attack them physically . Some of the others you unlock do not.

I have a starting god, the forest lady- Dzievanna, and if I don’t attack the lightbringers, it yellow or purple. If i go for them first, I can choose yellow or purple. This is post the lightbringer nerf.

During beta I did Nyia the whole time, but they’ve changed a lot since then. She might’ve had an attack.

My default god was Stribog and with him I had the red attack option when attacking lightbringer cities. When I changed my god to Horz in another game, I only had options for yellow/purple when attacking the cities. However, if I was attacking their stacks instead of the cities, then I had had the red option. Just not for their cities, which was a shame because the red option when taking out their cites gives really nice lootz.