Thea 2: The Shattering

I’ll have to ask my sister if she tried with her god yet. I am yellow / purple for their stacks and cities, and that’s a tough one, even with my truly destructive fairy elf. I bet she hasn’t tried the cities.

I’m feeling a bit evil right now. I’m in the final stages of the current game and just got a kid from a combat. This has slowed my adventuring party from move speed 7 to 4. That kid better hope I don’t find a village to sell him to.

Also, note to self, bring a horse or two in the adventuring party in case that happens again so at least I can speed the kid up to 5 or perhaps 6 with a good enough horse.

Thanks for all of the discussion on the Lightbringers.

What do the numbers over the mob groups on the world map mean, exactly? I know that 1 is easy, 3 is hard, etc. Is it dynamic - always a 1, or a 1 depending on how tough you are? Does it relate to mob level? Faction relations, etc?

I believe it’s static, though perhaps based on your difficulty settings. A group that had a 6 in the early game is still a 6 to me now even though they pose no challenge at all while in the beginning of the game they would have stomped me. I’ve therefore assumed it’s just a general indicator of difficulty, but maybe there’s more to be figured out there.

I haven’t figured out the numbers on the lightbringer spawns though. Maybe it’s because I only get a mental option for dealing with them this game, and other than one spawn they’ve all been a 7 for mental challenge. The one exception was a 9 so I left that alone for now, not sure why that one was higher.

This seems to have nothing to do with the numbers above the spawn though. It can be 7, 8 or 10 on the map but when the fight starts it’s still a 7 toughness mental challenge.

I noticed that Lightbringer spawns that were close to or touching their town were a 9 combat challenge, and the others further away were 7s. Its not a big sample size, but so far I was attributing the variance in toughness to how close they were to their town.

I can’t decide if I like how the fog of war is displayed or not. I think it looks great, and I appreciate how you can make out mountains and forests through the fog even in tiles you haven’t gotten close enough to reveal. It makes it feel a bit like those are well-known landmarks, like how I know where some of the major mountains, forests, and deserts in the world are even though I’ve never been to them personally.

On the other hand, I had one unrevealed tile on the goblin island that contained the only village big enough to recruit from. I swore I had that whole island revealed and was about to go to the discord and ask if it was possible to spawn an island without a major city from the major faction when I decided to go around once more. I had every tile around that one revealed and so it certainly didn’t look like I’d missed anything. A more traditional fog of war and I would know exactly which tiles I hadn’t scouted.

I still think I prefer it the way it is, but dang that one tile is annoying me at the moment!

You’re right. The Fog of War is a little different with this game. Since I typically play with someone else, it’s not uncommon that she winds up in the same area I was at later to pick up a different resource or quest, and yeah, sometimes I think she’s revealing hexes I missed. I love seeing the outline though because if I want to find wood, i head to the mountains and forests, food I try to follow a river or hit the beach, and you can kind of see where those are.

So I play the Steam version for the most part. I have a GOG version too but I haven’t really launched it yet. Found out today, the GOG version is a patch or maybe even 2 behind the Steam version which is… weird. It also destroys the idea of cross store multiplayer when you need everyone on the same version and one store is behind the other…

Bleh, I didn’t know that. I’ve only got the GOG version. It does explain why I didn’t seem to notice any easier lightbringers on the first island when they said that had been made a bit easier though.

If they can’t keep up with patches I guess I’ll just have to use Steam. Might even just buy the game a second time, encourage the developers. I need more games like this.

edit: Yep, I checked and I was one patch behind Steam. Between that, lack of achievements on GOG (minor since I could look them up and at least know I did them, but still), and a discount on Steam due to a sale and owning the previous Thea there I went to Steam. I play enough I won’t mind unlocking things again.

I was talked into a third person tonight. I was like, oh okay. We’re already going slower than molasses so what’s one more. As soon as he joined the lobby, we noticed our build versions were off, and now looking through the GOG forums, they’re totally behind. I think it’s a couple, but I am not sure. He’s on .6 and we’re on 2.07 and the latest version of that. He was on 2.6 or something, seems like not the hotfixes but maybe a whole version back or something.

They numbered them in a weird but convenient way. I was on 2.0620.0917 or something like that, the new one was 2.07xx.xxxx. The first set of 4 numbers is actually the date they released the patch. My GOG version (0620) was the patch right before the current one up on Steam.

Not sure it’ll ever matter to me, but having the date in the build number seems like it might be convenient at some point for someone.

Oddly, the game remembered my difficulty settings when I started up Steam version even though I told GOG version to delete everything including user settings and saves. Meh, technology. Maybe there’s some kind of cloud thing with MuHa. Or GOG doesn’t delete very thoroughly.

If it’s cross platform or cross story, as they call it, it seems like the Profile which holds that stuff, should be… shared. I mean I could easily play either, but I sure as heck don’t want to lose the points I spent on my elf children!

Thank you for the data info, that makes the patches mean a lot more. So yeah GOG doesn’t have the July stuff, like the super useful tooltip info in battle now.

I had an event today that made me realize how impossible it’s ever going to be to see everything in this game.

I was wiping out the world for a change and after destroying a Night Demon town I received an event where someone I had lost to the Night Demons was returned to me, but changed.
I hadn’t lost anyone to the Night Demons so I didn’t actually get anyone added to the party, but what are the odds I ever actually lose someone to them and then get that event to fire again to get them back? And then goodness knows how many things they could change into!

So many things to see, so little time!
edit: learned I can’t put an empty line into a spoiler.

Way back in beta, my sister had one of her members die during their journey, and then they came back as a tortured soul or ghost or something…

We’ve only seen this once so far. There are a lot of events like that out there, rare, but unique. Thea 1 had some of that too.

First DLC Aug 1, smallish in scope, with a focus on village events and rituals. I think that’s fantastic, as those are the 2 areas I’ve most felt are lacking. (edit: should maybe mention that all DLCs that contain game content are apparently going to be free. So this will be free. I’m also hoping there’ll be a paid expansion at some point so I have more things to throw money at.)

It’s reached the point where if I have only a few people (and probably shouldn’t have settled yet) I hope to get thieves in my village early on after settling and then I just don’t go clear them out. They didn’t get anything good and I don’t think the event will trigger again until you’ve dealt with them and there are few enough village events that that one hits me 6-12 times a game.

If I have enough people to be running a scout around then obviously I take care of them. Gimme that xp!

GOG is now updated. We are playing our first three person game. I feel like we’ll be lucky to get 30 turns done this entire night. Hah. We’ll see how this goes.

Awesome! Do you have a link for more info?

I’m putzing around with the demo. I played Thea 1 a long time ago, but I feel pretty lost in this.

I got an event that has a combat option and an intelligence option. I looked at my party and the largest intelligence someone has is a 6. How do I know if that is good or bad for an intelligence event? Thanks.

Unfortunately the info came from their newsletter which I already deleted and I can’t find a link for a copy of it. The only other thing I remember is new human classes, which I believe was coming in this DLC (they were also talking about the next DLC slightly in the discord so hopefully I haven’t mixed up info, but I think that was just a “planned for late fall” statement).

I think the only way is trial and error. Fortunately the game lets you progress overall pretty quickly even via losses (as long as they weren’t so quick you accomplished nothing of significance).

An intelligence of 6 for a high is not great for a yellow challenge, but yellow challenges are also based on wisdom. It’s possible you also have summons that can be used (and the computer isn’t great with summons in auto-resolves).

It’s also dependent on your skills and the level of those skills. A lower wisdom or intelligence can still do alright in a mental challenge if you have a level 2 or 3 skill that does well in mental challenges like Reliable Argument or Showing Off.

Until you’re comfortable with it, and assuming you have a party that’s basically mediocre at everything, just pick whichever option is easier unless you’re making your choice based on roleplaying. A 3 physical challenge will be easier than a 4 mental challenge most of the time.

The other thing to note is whether the card colors are filled in. If the challenge is a yellow outline of a card the damage is healed after battle, whereas a filled in yellow card the damage stays. And there can still be negative consequences for a loss (and probably even for victory) in those temporary damage challenges.

Thanks for the info, especially about the filled in cards. I had no idea!