Theatrical Film Releases that don't need their own thread

I think they managed to create a movie that people who love history will dislike as well as people who like some fantasy drama in their history.

I knew a few things about Mary going in, but I don’t require my movies to be hugely historically accurate. That’s what documentaries are far. Having said this, this movie misses the mark. It’s not because of the actresses though. They played their parts well it’s just the parts were not that great with all the other moving pieces. I thought they might put a chink in Elizabeth’s armor with this one too but England is still crushing on her, hard. They really don’t commit here which makes her walk an unbelievable grey line… again.

Guy Pearce doesn’t fit his role well… at all. Every time he was on the screen all I could think of is why is he in this.

It’s like they didn’t know who they wanted their audience to be so they tried to please everyone and wound up dissatisfying probably most of them.

Paycheck.

I watched it (Roma) this evening. I had a different experience. More like: Holy. Fuck. This film.

It’s not an exciting film. There’s no denouement, no emotional arc to the film. It’s an absurd film and a mundane one. It’s got a bit in common with Hernandez’s Palomar stories with some of the sensibilities (having just watched this for @Navaronegun’s Qt3 film club) Ozu’s Tokyo Story–banal domesticity mixed with cultural absurdity mixed with quiet desperation mixed with a ragged but heartfelt idea of family. The camera work is absolutely phenomenal: a sharp edged, brightly lit, anti-noir. Many of the shots consist of slow circular pans back and forth. Often the main action in a scene is in the background or even off-screen. There is no score to the film at all–only source music–even during the opening and closing credits, and the sound design is immaculate and crucial.

There’s a way in which the Corpus Christi Massacre (an event in Mexican history I had no knowledge of prior to watching this film) forms a centerpiece of it, but it’s also a MacGuffin. The film is very much about Mexico, in the same way that Tokyo Story is about Japan, but it’s very intimate. Cleo is in nearly every shot of the film, and it’s her response to situations that the camera cares about. Despite the deliberate pace of the film, and the lack of real drama, almost nothing happens the way you expect it to. That is, the plot of the film is much more like life than like the movies. It’s refreshing to watch something that lets a life be a life, that doesn’t need to inject a plot twist or unlikely tragedy, that lets situations be exactly as tense as they are without trying to heighten the tension. Recommended to people who like slow, contemplative, gorgeous filmmaking.

It’s very hard to evoke an emotional response without a score, but there were moments watching this film that I was surprised to find I had tears in my eyes.