theHunter: Call of the Wild - Open world wild game hunting

Hunting is an important part of conservation, so I don’t feel too bad about shooting real deer, less shooting fake ones. Do feel bad about shooting the Lynx in the game though, they are definitely not overpopulated, and nobody eats Lynx meat.

I think a photo mode would be great though, with how good the graphics are.

Yeah, I get all that, and I am not anti-hunting. Just saying I would have a real problem if I had to kill to eat meat. When I see an animal wherever, I tend to want to make friends with it. They are guileless, and generally have nothing against me, and are just trying their best to survive, just like me, and I can’t see myself shooting one for sport. It’d be like shooting my own dog or cat. And yeah, I know it’s not the same, dammit, but to me there isn’t that much of a difference.

Anyway, thanks everyone for checking on the camera mode thing. :)

This recently dropped in price on Steam and I picked it up, along with most of the DLC. Really impressed with it so far. I was happy to see that there is actually a “game” to it, instead of just being a pure simulation. Its a very chill game, like Euro Truck Simulator, but I feel like it is much more rewarding. Plus, it can actually be pretty challenging, which surprised me.

I understand how people can be pissed about the DLC. I can’t imagine playing the game without the ATV, for example. Still, with the recent price reduction, I feel like this less of an issue now.

I played it quite a bit initially, pre-DLC or anything. It’s quite fun. It was also a bit hard back then, I’m not sure how it is now. But hoofing it everywhere except your cabin points/markers was hard. It’s a very zen game, albeit one about hunting. I like that kind of stuff though.

I picked this up a while ago on sale and am just getting into it. Anyone have some general tips for a newbie?

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts. I’ve been tempted by this even though I don’t hunt. Usually hunting in games isn’t that fun to me, but I figured a game where that is the focus may be.

I would compare it to an extremely detailed stealth game. You need to worry about the terrain you are walking over and your movement rate. You need to account for bullet drop for long shots and your breathing. Shot placement is a significant factor in the rewards you get in the game.

You cannot shoot other humans in multiplayer.

That does seem like it could be good. Thanks!

It’s on Xbox GamePass if you swing that way.

I don’t. Mostly PC and some PS4, but thanks - that would be a good deal.

Besides what @Mellified said, use the calls once you get one. Pay attention to what’s good in an area and especially areas you uncover that are hot spots (forgot the term they use.) Go back near those early or late day.

It’s a stealth game but also one about patience. I find that relaxing. It’s hard as well so once you get a kill it feels extremely rewarding.

If you’re truly bored in the game, hoof it around the map and uncover more camps.

It’s pretty realistic which means it’s slow and requires a lot of patience. Very well done though.

Lack of patience is usually my downfall in stealth games, but this seems unique enough to try at some point. It looks pretty too.

Because of you both I’ve reloaded. I didn’t realize just how much DLC and content has been added. Holy cow!

I’ll retry my old techniques and go from there. Generally it was: locate a run (section where wildlife cross.) Wait until a spotting. Use a call related to that wildlife. If female appears, keep waiting. When male appears shoot, hope for a kill. If no males, kill the female. Either way, stay put. Wait, call again, repeat until wildlife no longer comes. Then and only then, pick up and go find kills or track.

I wasn’t very high level but had read that technique and used it semi-effectively once I understood that the calls you start with aren’t necessarily for the deer closest too you. Once I wandered around the map a bit more I spotted more runs and bedding areas as well.

Do you have the lodge DLC? If so, we can visit each other’s lodges to view the trophies we’ve installed. If we’re not friends on Steam yet - shoot me a friend invite if you’d like: “jpinard”

Added you. Ill have to see if i can find the lodge this evening. How do we put things in it?

Also, how does multiplayer even work. It wasn’t a thing when I first fired up this game.

EDIT: Looks like there are a whole lot more tip videos on youtube now as well. I should have checked back into this game earlier. I was struggling hard, initially.

In the main menu choose the hunting lodge and then choose your own. It’s xxxxx #1 in the middle. Then go into edit mode and place anything that you’ve spent the money to make a trophy out of. You can also save kills for stuffing later. You can see your friends lodges there as well in list format.

Noted and thanks for the info, Jeff. I made my very empty lodge. I also got my free ATV. One thing of note is previously (early pre-DLC) you just hit accept after a kill if I recall correctly. That was it. Now I’ve noticed I can harvest or Taxedermize (for cash of course.)

So I spent a bit at lunch and just a bit ago getting back into where I was. Killed a doe Roe and a buck Fallow. So I harvested the former and taxedermized the latter. Strangely the taxedermize option was like 4K credits and I could swear it said just antlers. Somebody is making money off that deal. I haven’t put them in the lodge yet. Sadly though I have fox and bison kills previously that don’t matter for much now.

Where’s the good NEW place to hunt? Also, I’m stuck on a very early quest and now remember getting so frustrated with it that I went off and just started hunting at will. Sadly that give much less exp that quest rewards if I recall correctly.

Check out my lodge now. I got the coolest deer in my foyer!

I just literally run around until I find a need zone. Then I track and call them in. Most populations seem to be centered near the lakes. I’ve only been playing in Layton Lakes thus far even though I have all the DLC. Speaking of which, make sure you grab the weapon one as it gives you some very important weapons for free.

Yes Taxederming is super expensive. So I save it for special ones Level 4 (gold or better). Though I did taxidermy my very first kills as well which are unspectacular. Remember you can save a harvest if you don’t have money to taxederm it right away. If you’re on in Layton Lakes I can’t help you with quests. Layton Lakes is supposed to be the easiest zone.

Did you install any of your trophies yet? I didn’t see any in your lodge.