theHunter: Call of the Wild - Open world wild game hunting

Oh yea - ATV driving off-trail in Layton Lakes = nightmare.

Hah! Speaking of, I was pushing it while driving like a bandit around Layton and this happened:

I expected worse. It just stops and catches fire. I wasn’t hurt. And apparently it didn’t blow up, or didn’t while I was standing there. I imaging there are probably some deer standing around it now wondering what it is. :)

Meanwhile, this is a beautiful clear day in the Taiga.

But there is also overcast, hard to see time periods as well. Due to the white snow, the default colors for active and non-active tracks is changed as well. I like the story missions there so far. I feel like I’m playing Stalker but with wildlife hunting.

I have destroyed so many ATVs LOLOLOLOL.

I thought for sure there would be some gameplay aspect to it. Nope. Just a visual. Plus me hoofing it around afterward. It’s strange they even have a mechanic where you can get hurt, but this didn’t hurt me in any way. Just durability that goes away on the ATV (and you can get a free replacement any time.)

I’ve been hurt many times, sliding down the side of a mountain, the ATV fireballs and I’m thrown.

I really wish the ATV could go over/through more stuff cause it feels like I’m having to go in reverse constantly as I get stopped by small saplings and fallen logs constantly.

I agree completely. Apparently I’ve not been thrown from one yet so now I have a new goal! :)

Don’t get me wrong, I love having one. Walking the entire map is insane.

I did that until I hooked up a controller to drive the ATV with (which is easier for me than M/KB).

This thread reminded me to try out theHunter. I don’t have Call of the Wild, but the previous entry, Primal, has been sitting on my hard drive for a few weeks or months, waiting patiently. I wandered around an alien-dino prison planet with very definitively Terran flora for about 40 minutes, enjoying the draw distances and dynamic weather but sort of wondering what the point was. A Utahraptor “snuck up” behind me (I maintain that it spawned there) and chewed off about 85% of my lifebar before running away and bleeding out somewhere. I took a selfie with his corpse, then killed one of his brothers who came after me. I tried to sneak up on the second raptor, but was markedly unsuccessful, though combat went a bit better.
It reminded me a bit of each Far Cry 2, Miasmata and Eidolon. There was an odd beeping noise that I thought was leading me to one of the treasure chests thrown around the island, but those are clearly marked and nobody seems to be able to figure out what it’s actually for. Ambience, or confusion, maybe. Surprisingly, I wish there was more detailed survival mechanics, which I usually hate in games. As far as I can tell there’s no vehicles either, just an auto-walk button. The developers seem to have rather unceremoniously abandoned it; it’s no longer for sale on Steam for whatever reason. I think I could probably find a multiplayer server with one of the die-hards if I really wanted to, though.
I watched the sunrise, explored the coastline a bit and then shrugged and closed out.

I played Far Cry Primal, which was decent. I’ve also played ARK a ton, which sounds similar. I still run our ARK cluster though it isn’t heavily used at all. Besides those two on the more extreme/non-realistic side of hunting there is Monster Hunter World. All of them are quite a bit more gameplay than just hunting though.

That’s actually what I enjoy about The Hunter: CotW. It does have quests and advancement and such, but it’s a hunting sim game at it’s core. Similar to the also recommended Fishing Sim World, they give a sort of gameplay that’s slow and prodding versus fast and furious and survival themed. I’m mean yesterday my in-game worry was how much noise I was making while following tracks across a clear cut land area that seemed to be nothing but noisy sticks.

There is an Easter Egg in Layton Lakes the developers want us to find. The only clue they’ve provided is “think outside the box”.

Here is the Easter Egg thread:

I don’t think it’s a new animal. I think if it was many would have found it by now. I agree with that person that said a trail camera or at least something along those lines. It would be easier for them to add new gear. But then again, who knows. How would they (EW) know once someone found it? That points back to an animal again.

Want to hear something fun - no - frustrating? My MN1890 rifle no longer shoots bullets. Apparently it just shoots air because over the last 2 days I have not been able to hit anything with it, even at point blank range. Took it to the shooting range and… yep - NOTHING.

That IS strange. I’ve not ever used the range, does the scope zero always say [0] selection there? Will it cycle through anything using the F key? Maybe apply a different active skill then reapply the scope zeroing and see if it clears?

I have a bug where I get no hunt club missions at all. I’ve cycled it on and off, relogged in using it, nothing. Multiple reserve maps, nothing. I’m assuming either it’s broken or I’m bugged or have a bad save maybe?

That happens all the time. Everyone has no missions right now.

For my gun not working. Iv’e tried everything - it doesn’t matter what range is set, it doesn’t matter if shove my gun into the target and pull the trigger. Thought I was going crazy for a bit because there was a stuck deer and I kept shooting and shooting and shooting and nothing. Then I walked right up to it’s side and shot straight into it… nothing. Pulled out my crossbow and it went down. So I went to the shooting range to test as someone suggested… blanked.

I like the game a lot, but the number of critical bugs is totally unacceptable. Right now when I shoot an Elk there’s often 100+ meters between the footprints. I get blood splatter on initial shot and not a drop more, even on vital hits and heavy bleeders (any bleeders). I don’t use mods or hacks and it’s turned into a bit of a mess. Gonna see if I can grab a different MN1890 and if that will work.

Just grabbed one of the other MN1890 rifles that are free for me, and it works. So that other one is now dead.

If you aren’t using that skill, do so. The scope zeroing helps a TON. The only issue is if I’m set for short range (75m) and take a shot at long range (200m plus,) because I forgot to cycle the scope zeroing. In the meantime I’m trying to work on my bow hunting skill. It’s slooooow.

Yep I use it all the time.

Just had a great run killing 4 Elk bucks in a row with one of them gold. Then as I’m heading back to the outpost I locked up. First time in a game in a long time. I don’t think it was the game as I had a steam error once out of the game. Just hoping my harvest was saved.