Theocracy Watch

Meanwhile, Senator Clinton joins the theocratic conspiracy!

I want every conservative here to remember that the next time you’re about to talk about how monstrously liberal she is.

Oh yes, you’re right, Lino. Letting religious organizations also use government money to implement specific social programs like housing assistance is exactly the same as the President saying he doesn’t see how you can perform the job without being a member of his personal religion.

Which is exactly the same as what Bush actually said. Since you’re being so precise and all.

Find a difference, go ahead.

Top of my head, “…without a relationship with the Lord” hardly means the same thing to Evangelical Protestants like GWB as it does to old school Roman Catholics or religious Jews. I don’t think they’d agree that they are all part of “his personal religion”. Is that difference enough or is the huge umbrella “Judeo-Christian” enough to mean the same as “his personal religion”?

I meant “christianity” by his religion. “I have no idea how you be president without being christian.”

Fine. Given an opportunity to ask Bush what he meant by that do you think the answer would be:

A) He doesn’t think anyone who isn’t a Christian can be president
B) He doesn’t understand how he could do his job without his faith to draw on.

I vote B.

Fine. Given an opportunity to ask Bush what he meant by that do you think the answer would be:

A) He doesn’t think anyone who isn’t a Christian can be president
B) He doesn’t understand how he could do his job without his faith to draw on.

I vote B.[/quote]

Depends who asks, I would say.

CNN/NYT etc: B
Robertson/FOX etc: A

I don’t htink it’s exactly breaking news that you, Jason, and others who are attempting to paint a picture they already believe would pick A.

Did you even make an effort to understand the point? Until you do, don’t even claim to know what I believe.

What I believe is that Bush would say A some times, and B other times.

Clear?

Look, I hate to be pedantic here, but “theocracy” actually means government by Malcolm Jamal-Warner from “The Cosby Show.”

A Theo/Fat Albert ticket would kill.

I am truly chided.

Is B really any less stupid? I mean, imagine an atheist President (stop laughing, it could happen!) who’s like “Boy, I don’t see how any religious person could be President!”

I genuinely admire the ability of certain people to look a situation square in the eye, examine it in great detail, and then, with perfect confidence and poise, state, “No, the President did not just say what he said.”

National Religious Broadcasters convention featuring bombed out Israeli buses and Dobson’s Christian rebel son playing ping-pong.

http://www.mediatransparency.com/stories/nrbconvention.html

mediatransparency.com is so far left it isn’t funny. Not exactly a strong citation.

Without a doubt it’s not pretending to be “fair and balanced” which gives it some points for honesty off the bat and I don’t see any articles that come off as particularly loony or rant-worthy. The article itself is a fairly good read and largely fits into my understanding of what these guys are about. But, absolutely, take it with a grain of salt. It’s not as if we’re talking about pillars of journalistic integrity like Fox News.

Points for honesty? C’mon Brian, that site is so slanted I’m surprised the story doesn’t fall off the edge off internet. Let’s just examine the article title:

That pretty much sets the tone and It only goes down hill from there. It’s a very negative piece that just follows up accusation with accusation with no attempt to understand or explain why the far right christians feel the way they do. It’s pure partisan hate slinging, nothing more.