There is an effort to erase student loan debt and I'm mad as hell about it ...

Does Devos want to spur millennial turnout in 2018? Because that’s how you do it.

To be fair to Devos, I swear this problem was building before she accepted that position. This reminds me of the recruiting bonus and pay scandal/problem we had recently. The government, aka taxpayers, need to just eat it if someone screwed up. These people took positions, made life choices based on a program they’re trying to yank from under them.

Honor the agreements. If the program is bad, discontinue it or modify it, but honor the agreements in place.

Fuck that.

There are plenty of reasons to not like her, but this mess was made before she was involved. We don’t have to make shit up to hate her. This was being talked about before she was in office.

I’m not saying make shit up about her, just that there’s no need to ever be fair to her. Fuck her and her plans to fuck over the US educational system.

This isn’t her fault. How she handles the problem could very well make it her fault, but the grumbles about this have been stirring for about a year because… we’ve reach the first round of people who are supposed to be able to collect. How surprised am I that that group is having problems? To sacrifice a decade to lower earnings, maybe doing something you might not otherwise do to be screwed over by the government… big surprise there. You can, of course, commence with hating her for those other things you don’t like, but I’m not going to attribute something to her that isn’t hers.

I’m late to the discussion but I wonder…

seems like a great idea. Yet as a teacher it is frustrating to hear it when the refrain on pensions has consistently been to renege on benefits

I don’t mean to single out Nesrie or Mark. I have no idea how they feel about public pensions. I do find it interesting that one group that planned around an expected benefit is viewed much more favorably than another group that did the same thing.

Do you live in Oregon? If so, I’ll tell you that the pension benefits are crazy out of this world way too good that is bankrupting Oregon. Without change asap we are digging a deeper hole.

If not Oregon then I’d need to understand more.

When someone accepts a position, they’re accepting a package. It’s true, that package can change overtime and things like bonuses may never be paid out. Pensions are a promise, and unless it’s going to bring down the company, they need to honor those promises, those regulated obligations.Some people planned their entire retirement on those pensions, so to suck it away from them when they finally try to collect while in their 50/60s and it’s too late for another plan… that’s screwing them royally too.

In both cases, these are not individuals trying to game a system or demand something for nothing, they worked for these benefits, potentially decline other options in order to receive them. It’s not just to have it ripped away from them when it’s finally time to collect.

I live in Georgia. I’m a teacher so the backlash against public pensions catches my attention when it comes up (or even when something reminds me of it in a thread derail :) ). On the other hand I’m in a state that never went overboard with public pensions in the first place.

In some cases pensions replaced social security, like for teachers. You can’t change in mid-stream on these people. If you took the teaching position and have had money deducted for the pension instead of social security, you can’t discontinue the pension. If it’s decided that the pension plan is unsound, then you need to grandfather in active teachers and come up with a different plan for new hires.

Some of the pension plans for public employees seem a little out of whack, but then the compensation for executives at big companies seems out of whack too.

Good video on the topic. I vaguely remembered we had this thread, but I had a hell of a time finding it. I guess we’ve discussed it in various other threads since then instead.

This video is great, overall, but the key point (for me) is at the end, where they point out that while the Biden administration hasn’t been able to do a lot of what they wanted to do, they’ve done more than any other administration in history to relieve student debt.

Just got the letter this evening: my remaining loan debt is forgiven. I’ve worked in public service my entire except for two short stints at private colleges.

I feel amazingly light right now. I don’t have to work until I drop dead.

Congrats! What a feeling that’s gotta be.

That’s amazing, Benny!

Thanks. I’m kinda trippin!

A man is not truly free until he’s cleared his Steam backlog. Still, congrats on surmounting that first hurdle. :D

I remember how happy I was when I got mine paid off, it is a great feeling.

Now replace that debt with a mortgage.