There is something familar about all this

I like how the game is a fight between Fate and Destiny. I mean, seriously? Fight to the death, synonyms!

What a riot/disaster.

This really is too awesome for words*.

*Other than “awesome,” obviously.

This would make a great Lifetime movie.

Seriously.

They can separate themselves all they want, but they published it.

It just shows how sketchy some of these publishers are.

Imagine if someone made a movie splicing together disparate scenes from Aliens, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Lord of the Rings. Then some movie house puts it out on DVD.

I love it.

Oh, for sure. I wasn’t defending them. The fact that they are separating themselves from the developer tells me they know this isn’t going to end well. It wouldn’t surprise me if lawyers have already been consulted.

Wonder what sort of indemnity clauses were in the agreement between the publisher and the dev :)

For the one of two of you that don’t read Blue’s.

After speaking with a representative from TriSynergy today, we have their preliminary response to accusations that assets in Limbo of the Lost may be lifted from Oblivion (story), and other games, as similarities have also been noted between the new adventure game and Thief 3 and Diablo 2. They expect to release a formal statement shortly, but in the meantime, TriSynergy says they are just as shocked as everyone else at the screenshots showing elements from other games in Limbo of the Lost, saying they had absolutely no knowledge of this situation until it was uncovered by the gaming press. They have contacted Majestic, who are taking a post-release break, and expect to have further comment after hearing back from the developer. They also want to make it clear if they had been aware of this, they would not have allowed the game to be publically released as such. Limbo of the Lost is already available in select retail and online stores but further distribution to other outlets is being reevaluated in light of these revelations.

Official release:

Tri Synergy News Release
For Immediate Release

Tri Synergy Comments on Recent Limbo of the Lost/Oblivion Comparisons
The official statement regarding recent inquiries about similarities between Limbo and other titles

Sharon, MA, May 11th, 2008 – Tri Synergy, Inc. (www.trisynergy.com) would like to publish an official comment regarding recent comparisons of level design and artwork between Majestic Studios’ Limbo of the Lost and Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion/Eidos Interactive’s Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Tri Synergy is just as shocked as everyone else is by the recent screenshot comparisons. At no point during our dealings with Majestic Studios up until the point that the comparison was first publicly made by a third party did we have any knowledge of these similarities. Additionally, Tri Synergy will discontinue distribution of Limbo of the Lost in both retail and online outlets.

We have contacted the developer, Majestic, and are anxiously awaiting their response. As soon as we know more on this matter we will issue another statement.

More information about Tri Synergy is available from www.trisynergy.com.

About Tri Synergy
Founded in 1996 in Dallas, Texas, Tri Synergy is a computer and video game publishing company offering software developers an indispensable alternative to traditional affiliate label and licensing programs.
Tri Synergy actively encourages the creative process by relieving the developer of the time constraints inherent in managing the business factions of publishing a successful software title. Tri Synergy coordinates every key step for the developer including sales services, distribution, vendor relations, marketing, public relations, manufacturing, packaging, inventory management, fulfillment and more.
For more information, visit http://www.trisynergy.com/.

That’s an oddly worded statement . . .

Looks like it’s audio samples too.
Opening of this trailer appears to be using voice over from Human Head’s Rune.

Hahahahaha, audio too. Man.

There’s probably going to be a new category in the next gaming version of the Guinness Book of Records.

I swear to God, I was just joking before!

Please no one let Au write about it. I promise I’ll only use this cursed power of prophecy for good!

Lol this is awesome. What a total disaster.

You have to admit this is pretty great publicity, though. People may buy it just out of morbid curiosity. It’s like the video game equivalent of Where’s Waldo. Of course the part where they get sued by every company in the game industry is going to cut into profits a bit.

Holy crap. Has anything close to this ever happened before?

edit: someone posted this on NeoGAF: http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/LimboOfTheLost/LotL.shtm

This game started development before Duke Nukem Forever?

I can totally see this turning into a super-rare collector’s item because they’re going to pull it ASAP, so the only copies will be the ones already sold or that sell in the next day or two.