There may not be an Assassin's Creed or Far Cry for 2017

Ever since the news broke that Ubisoft wasn’t going to release a new main AC game in 2016, people assumed it would be pushed to 2017. Ubisoft even told people that in 2016, they should look forward to the movie with Fassbender instead.

Now, it seems they may not have an Assassin’s Creed for 2017 either. Or Far Cry.

[quote]
“I’ll tell you what,” François said, "We believe Alpha for these games needs to be one year before release. We’re trying to achieve that. That’s super f****** blunt, I don’t even know if I’m allowed to say this. This is the goal we’re going for: Alpha one year before, more quality, more polish.

“So if this means biting the [bullet] and not having an Assassin’s game, or a Far Cry [in 2017], f*** it.”[/quote]

I’m on my phone or I would post the gif of “I’m OK with this”. Big fan of AC, played pretty much all of them (except Liberation) so I guess I’m a bit burned out. If they take the time to make the next one awesome, I’m all for it. So uh yeah, **** it.

Yeah, this is pretty great news. I’d love for the world to actually be hungry for the next game in these franchises when they eventually come out. I squandered 2016 as my opportunity to catch up on the series. Maybe I can catch up in 2017.

I think Ubisoft is caught between incremental console hardware upgrades. On one end you have the PS4/PS4Pro and on the other you have the Xbox One/Xbox Scorpio. Ubisoft absolutely doesn’t want to get stuck in a AC: Unity situation, so the best plan is to just wait it out.

I’m fine with that. As much as I like the Assassin’s Creed games, a nice long break is fine for me. Besides, I think Watch Dogs 2 is good enough this year.

They just couldn’t resist releasing an Assassin’s Creed game for this holiday season. It’s the Ezio Collection. AC2, AC: Brotherhood and AC: Revelations remastered for PS4 and XB1.

I wonder if it’s a decent remaster? Better art assets at least? They’re not the type of games I would replay when there’s so many newer AC games still to play though.

I have no idea for sure but my uneducated guess is that there are around 15 AC games right now. I played a lot of the first one or two but holy crap they just kept putting more out there. Has the series evolved much from the originals?

Let’s see, there are 9 main games so far:

AC
AC2
AC: Brotherhood
AC: Revelations
AC 3
AC IV
AC: Rogue
AC: Unity
AC: Syndicate

Then there’s the spinoffs:

AC3: Liberation
AC: India
AC: China
AC: Russia

That’s a lotal of 13, so you weren’t far off. Of course, there’s also mobile games, but I’m not going to count those.

On one hand you might say they are more similar than different. On the other, some people have strong opinions about some being good and some being bad, so they can’t be that similar :)

I’m playing Revelations now, as my last unplayed one, despite having said it was a mistake to over-indulge with these yearly iterative series. I guess the cool settings add enough value for me to overlook the aspects I like less.

Hmm. There’s some real oddness going on in some of the remastered games.

Lol wtf is my best response. Someone approved that?

That’s one of those images that will define that release in people’s minds now. LIke the texture pop-in in Rage.

If they’d done something like thrown the entire trilogy into the Syndicate engine, I’d throw money back at my screen until it stuck.

Instead they added some color and mucked up some faces. Much wow. Very remaster.

The worst part of the remaster for me is the climbing animation they showed vs the original. Instead of actual climbing, it looks like he’s just climbing a ladder almost. Little things like that make a big difference to me in a game like this. I’d hate for that to be someone’s first experience of these games.

So it turns out the Ezio collection might not be as bad a remaster as that Polygon video made it seem.

This guy makes some great points.

Is that Jeff Goldblum?