There's a great disturbance in the midichlorians of X-Wing 2.0

X-Wing Second Edition releases in September with a core set, expansion ships, and the conversion kits.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/05/04/theres-a-great-disturbance-in-the-midichlorians-of-x-wing-2-0/

The way the kits are divided… yeah it’s interesting. If you want to fly a full list of a single ship? You need two, or one and split a second with others.

It’s tricky, some of the things they did are strict improvements, that simply could not be done without a major rerelease. Turret arcs, for example, would require new cardboard on every ship that could equip them.

Whether the changes justify he new release remains to be seen. So far it looks like quite possibly yes. Whether the conversion kits justify the $50 price? That is much more on the fence. Honestly it’s the having to get a new core set for the damage deck that is more irksome than anything else. If that was separate or in the conversion kits it’d be a lot easier sell.

Oh. It’s a board game. For a second you had me so excited.

In a way it’s more exciting, because you can pick up these actual little models of starships and whiz them around in a big circle, going “whoooosh, pew pew pew! Next time you’ll get yours, Darth!”

I mean, you’re not wrong.

One of the things that has us old hands excited is the prospect of getting the iconic ships on the table more. Because right now it’s doninated by ships from Rebels and the EU.

Also Kylo Ren and the TIE/sf.

But If you took a ship from the Battle of Endor that wasn’t the Millenium Falcon or the Lambda Shuttle with Palpatine on board? Nah, you’re putting yourself into a hole before the first dials are even set up.

There’s just something to pushing Luke and Vader around a table though…

I don’t mean to make fun of people’s hobbies but I’m having a hard time keeping a straight face here. :) I guess this is one of those things I’ll never understand. (People’s love of miniatures in general, not just X-wing miniatures).

Oh, you’ll get the death sentence in twelve systems for that one. I am stepping slowly out of the thread.

Edit: I should probably add that I don’t play this game, mainly because I know my collectible mania and it would not be a good match for me. I do however own Rebellion, and I spend more time picking up random tiny spaceships and whizzing them around my head going, “Aaahhh! Pew pew! Curse you!” than I do actually playing the game.

I had the same reaction. :’(

Well I love the sight of those minis, even if the game always disappointed me for reasons I needn’t rehash.

As a long time player of the game, I really like the changes, and the way they better differentiate the ships- X-wing 1.0 was becoming a mess of 0-cost titles just to give ships something special to do and the balance was off very often to the point where the JumpMaster is a completely different ship than what was released.

I don’t blame somebody for not being hugely enthused with the buy-in for 2.0, but I really like the changes overall.

Turrets being mobile arcs is a huge change itself.

Step 1: Make a ship with a turret with a wide arc but bad dice

Step 2: Add something that gives it mo’ better dice.

Step 3: What have we done

Hey are there any cool vids of the new system youse guys can recommend?

Yeah here, I got one:

So much this.

I’m gonna be honest, I didn’t either before. This is still the first, and only, miniatures game I’ve played.

Reasons of cost, quality, painting, rules complexity, lack of play group, etc kept me out of that end of the hobby.

X-wing came pre painted, lower cost than other minis, removed complexity from massive tomes to cards on the table, and reached critical mass so that any FLGS probably had a regular group.

Plus the bones of the game, the maneuver, dial, action, and pilot skill systems were solid. There was an interesting complexity there, one that could take hours theory crafting lists, but once it hit the table was actually a fairly limited scope.

Tactics and maneuvers mattered a lot, and so the basic level of pushing plastic space ships around was just pure strategic bliss.

I would have gotten a few just for the minis, but it turns out there was a really fun game behind it.

And, yeah, pushing around the nimble Interceptors and having Poe be a force of nature, was just so pleasing to my fan mind.

Full game, plus a decent overview of many of the changes

A lot of the changes amount to a shift more toward maneuvering and better differentiating the ships- almost every snub fighter has a reposition option now, at least among the ones we know, while many large ships have less flexible dials- the YT-1300 can no longer turn on a dime and boost freely doing a 3 point turn and going almost nowhere.

It’s nice to see a Y-wing that’s not just there to fire that damn twin laser turret(an upgrade that is gone in 2.0). It even has a decent chance to use torpedoes, something it never did in 1.0.

Yes, and the X-wing too.

Extreme defense seems sharply curtailed. Almost as big a change as turrets is the linked action, Push the Limit and Veteran Instincts gone, and evade no longer adds a result, rather changes a die changes. Getting rid of Engine Upgrade is a huge difference.

Rey, Finn, Kanan is also gone.

Suffice to say the game will be completely different in September. It’s impossible to predict what will be good, or not.

But we can pretty safely say arcs and maneuvers will matter more, which is absolutely good.

I’m wondering what the T-70 will be, if it will be much different from the original X-wing. I suppose it doesn’t need to be too terribly different as it’s in a totally different faction now from the rebels(FO and Resistance are now seperate from empire and rebels and have their own conversion kits coming out in wave 2)

And that’s one I’m real interested to see. Since right now Resistance has only 3 ships, of which only 2 are unique. That’s not really a complete faction. There’s only so many variants of Falcon/ Poe you can run, after all.

I strongly suspect they release dials and bases for the RZ-2 A-wing, compatible with old A-wings, as well as a new mold and single for Resistance. Perhaps even some of the late era EU stuff, like the E-wing, getting ported over.

First Order fares a little better with 4 ships, but only barely.

Ooh ooh, post a picture of an A-wing from the game! They were always my favorite.