These Are The Voyages-Star Trek TOS Remastered and Reconsidered

The Conscience of the King really does that too. Man, I liked Reilly. David Gerrold put im at the center of a novel in the 1980 called The Galactic Whirlpool . Really good character.

Dive has a blu-ray release, but Ii think it’s the Netflix/Amazon remasters at a blu-ray level.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B01CJW334Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532468637&sr=8-2&keywords=star+trek+blu+ray

From the Amazon Reviews:

The current blu-ray version of this set (as I write this in early 2017) is pretty much the definitive set (to date) for die-hard Trekkies. Every episode of the original series is here with the option to watch with either the new “enhanced” special effects or the original “unadulterated” special effects. (You can even switch back and forth between the two versions to compare as you’re watching! Nice work, CBS!! Kudos.)
A few FYI’s: These are complete episodes and not the shortened versions mostly commonly seen in syndication in recent years. Also, the episodes are in their original 4:3 (“old television”) ratio. There will be black bars to the right and left of the image on your widescreen television. This really can’t be helped since television wasn’t widescreen in the 60s. Nor in the 70s, 80s, and 90s for that matter… (If you absolutely hate that, you can change the settings on your television to stretch the image to fit. Why you would want to do this is beyond me… but some people really hate those blacks bars and would rather watch shorter, wider crew members on the Enterprise…)
Most of discs contain four episodes each, with one particular episode per disc having a third option to view with a visual/audio/pop-up commentary referred to on the disc as “Starfleet All-Access Pass” featuring Michael and Denise Okuda. There are also hours and hours of extra features and documentaries spread out on the discs throughout the entire set.

Heck, this is making me wanna buy it on Bluray…

EDIT: Bought…

Oh I absolutely love Balance, probably a top 5 episode for me, but it is totally a repurposed submarine script. I just love the thrills it packs into a tight little story, it’s relatively small scale but very tense.

What? No City on the Edge of Forever?

Or space hippies in The Way to Eden?

City on the Edge is good but a smidgen overrated, in my opinion. It’s probably top 20 for me.

All right, working from home today so I think I’m going to queue up an episode. I’m going to take this slow and steady, maybe an episode every few days or one a week maybe. And I’ve got this guy to help me get in the mindset -

The music in TOS was TOP. NOTCH. So many classic themes.

1. The dreamy “some alien chick is falling in love with Kirk” theme
  2. The one they used for the Pon Far fight and also other fights and battles
  3. There is a leitmotif I can’t describe too well but they usually use it when they are on foot exploring a weird planet
  4. The light Irish-jig woodwind they use to emphasize humor or lightheartedness. They use it at lot at the very end of the episode when Bones is throwing shade at Spock

Let me know which and I’ll cue up and watch as well.

Season 1, episode 1 - The Man Trap!

Broadcast order then. Done and done.

Yeah, I’m watching as if I’ve gone back in time and never heard of this “Star Trek” business and just flipped on the TV. As best I can, anyway.

Oh hey, heads up - there’s a trailer for the 2009 Star Trek movie when the Blu-ray boots up. Mind the blood pressure there, partner.

Yeah, it’s one of the great TV scores.

Was it all Alexander Courage?

I’ll be careful. It’s Amazon tonight for the re-view. Blurays arrive Friday. So I won’t be able to see this trailer for Smokin’ Aces III with Chris Pine you are talking about. I heard Zac Quinto was in it, which is weird casting, but, hey.

I don’t think so. I think he bailed pretty early on.

Edit: per Wiki, it’s a bit complicated.

The show’s theme tune, immediately recognizable by many, was written by Alexander Courage, and has been featured in several Star Trek spin-off episodes and motion pictures. Gene Roddenberry subsequently wrote a set of accompanying lyrics, even though the lyrics were never used in the series, nor did Roddenberry ever intend them to be; this allowed him to claim co-composer credit and hence 50% of the theme’s performance royalties. Courage considered Roddenberry’s actions, while entirely legal, to be unethical.[107] Series producer Robert Justman noted in the book Inside Star Trek The Real Story, that work on the film Doctor Dolittle kept Courage from working on more than two episodes of the first season. However, Justman also believed that Courage lost enthusiasm for the series because of the “royalty” issue.[47]:185 Courage did not score any episodes of the second season; however he did conduct a recording session for about 30 minutes of “library cues” for the second season, on June 16, 1967.[108] Courage returned to score two episodes of the third season.

Later episodes used stock recordings from Courage’s earlier work. Jazz trumpeter Maynard Ferguson recorded a jazz fusion version of the tune with his big band during the late 1970s, and Nichelle Nichols performed the song live complete with lyrics.

Dramatic underscore
For budgetary reasons, this series made significant use of “tracked” music, or music written for other episodes that was reused in later episodes. Of the 79 episodes that were broadcast, only 31 had complete or partial original dramatic underscores created specifically for them. The remainder of the music in any episode was tracked from other episodes and from cues recorded for the music library. Which episodes would have new music was mostly the decision of Robert H. Justman, the Associate Producer during the first two seasons.

Screen credits for the composers were given based on the amount of music composed for, or composed and reused in, the episode. Some of these final music credits were occasionally incorrect.

Beyond the short works of “source” music (music whose source is seen or acknowledged onscreen) created for specific episodes, eight composers were contracted to create original dramatic underscore during the series run: Alexander Courage, George Duning, Jerry Fielding, Gerald Fried, Sol Kaplan, Samuel Matlovsky, Joseph Mullendore, and Fred Steiner. The composers conducted their own music. Of these composers, Steiner composed the original music for thirteen episodes and it is his instrumental arrangement of Alexander Courage’s main theme that is heard over many of the end title credits of the series.

Hmmmm…from the wiki:

Episodes with original music
Season 1:

“The Cage” (Alexander Courage)
“Where No Man Has Gone Before” (Alexander Courage)
“The Corbomite Maneuver” (Fred Steiner)
“Mudd’s Women” (Fred Steiner)
“The Enemy Within” (Sol Kaplan)
“The Man Trap” (Alexander Courage)
“The Naked Time” (Alexander Courage)
“Charlie X” (Fred Steiner)
“Balance of Terror” (Fred Steiner)
“What Are Little Girls Made Of?” (Fred Steiner)
“The Conscience of the King” (Joseph Mullendore)
“Shore Leave” (Gerald Fried)
“The City on the Edge of Forever” (Fred Steiner)
Season 2:

“Catspaw” (Gerald Fried)
“Metamorphosis” (George Duning)
“Friday’s Child” (Gerald Fried)
“Who Mourns for Adonais?” (Fred Steiner)
“Amok Time” (Gerald Fried)
“The Doomsday Machine” (Sol Kaplan)
“Mirror, Mirror” (Fred Steiner)
“I, Mudd” (Samuel Matlovsky)
“The Trouble with Tribbles” (Jerry Fielding)
“By Any Other Name” (Fred Steiner)
“Patterns of Force” (George Duning)
“The Omega Glory” (Fred Steiner)
“Return to Tomorrow” (George Duning)
Season 3:

“Spectre of the Gun” (Jerry Fielding)
“Elaan of Troyius” (Fred Steiner)
“The Paradise Syndrome” (Gerald Fried)
“The Enterprise Incident” (Alexander Courage)
“And the Children Shall Lead” (George Duning)
“Spock’s Brain” (Fred Steiner)
“Is There in Truth No Beauty?” (George Duning)
“The Empath” (George Duning)
“Plato’s Stepchildren” (Alexander Courage)

I would rate Gerald Fried’s Amok Time music among the best.

I think that episode originated both the ‘sad Spock’ theme and the famous fighting music.

Looking at the wiki stuff (I copy and pasted relevant items in my edits up there) the were kind lavish for the time period (S1 and 2 anyway). They spent the money to get good music.

I’ll keep referring to that during my re-views. My gut tells me that I am a Fred Steiner fan.

EDIT: We both edited the same info into posts at the same time from wiki. Jinx! I’ll trim mine to add to yours.

By the way everyone, as an aside, Gene gets more and more unlikeable as time goes by, doesn’t he?