These Are The Voyages-Star Trek TOS Remastered and Reconsidered

No, seriously. Even Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea did it better.

Do a search for The Cyborg.

Catching up…

Yeah, I have to say, there is so much science discussion in The Naked Time, and none of it sounds right to me. And that not only bothered me, it really made me bored early on in this episode.

The only thing interesting in this episode was early on when Riley and Sulu go into the mess hall together, it seems like they’re an item. And that notion is not dispelled at any point.

I just found most of this episode a slog to get through. The first one so far in the re-watch, where I really had to fight hard to stay interested and keep watching.

The scenes where tortured Spock slowly talks to himself felt like torture for me as the viewer. And then Kirk gets infected and he really starts hamming it up and talking slowly about his desires. I do believe he was pining for someone, that was later revealed to be Yeoman Janice! So Kirk has the hots for Janice? Is in love with her? It’s not clear. But I guess we’ll find out down the road.

At this point, I think Yeoman Janice has more screen time after 4 episodes than Uhura and Sulu and Scotty, people who were later in the movies considered part of the regular crew. Now I’m dying to keep watching to find out what happens to Janice.

Man, I just cannot disagree enough with this. The pacing was so off. They explain what they’re here to do kind of confusingly, and then the guy who goes down with Spock acts like such an idiot, and then he doesn’t tell anyone of developing symptoms, and then Sulu and Riley come from their date and confront him, but then go to the bridge and don’t mention any symptoms to anyone. And then Spock specifically calls Security to make sure that Riley goes to sick bay, and yet no one follows Riley down to sick bay. It’s all a hot mess, and I was tearing my hair out thinking what a horrible way to handle all this.

Wait, that’s Majel Barrett? Holy moly! She’s kind of gorgeous! I had no idea. She’s unrecognizable from Laxana Troi.

I disagreed with this sentiment after watching the first three episodes, but man, I sure agree with it now after watching The Naked Time. TOS is pretty cheesy in this episode.

One final note: On CBS, I was watching the original episodes, but on Netflix, I’m now watching the HD Remaster, and the difference is pretty huge. The space scenes look pretty amazing now. The difference in quality is stark. They really did a great job making the new material.

I still prefer to see VFX as they were done at the time. What’s next, 1981 Clash of the Titans with all the effects done as CGI?

I guess that I’m the only one that likes the new effects? Especially The Doomsday Machine. Sure I can watch and enjoy the old stuff. But doesn’t better graphics enhance the experience?

Sometimes (Clash of the Titans..).they’re just mediocre movies, @Gordon_Cameron…shhh…

How did you get a gif of me and the ex-wife?

I think she doxxed you, man.

Not for me, any more than it would if you stuck the 2005 King Kong effects on top of the 1933 movie. I guess it’s less distracting in a show like Trek where the space shots are usually short establishing shots rather than big action sequences but I still object on principle.

I will concede that in Trek’s case they are tasteful but “better” is in all cases a bridge too far for me. I like to see how any filmed entertainment was made in its time, from Melies on up.

That’s just like her. A monster. She knocked my other head off. I could have been the President of the galaxy.

C’mon the Medusa scene still rocks.

Crap movie when all is said and done. In the fine tradition of the bad Italian flicks of the 50s and 60s. With Hamlin and clay.

Agree to disagree! I call it Harryhausen’s glorious swan song.

I like the new effects. I’m not all that fussed either way really, but I think the new effects are pretty well done and so far, haven’t stood out in a negative way.

Harryhausen was a fucking genius. Anyone who says differently is objectively incorrect. The fact that his amazing animation might be in a crappy movie does not matter. He was taught his stuff by Willis O’Brien. Another genius.

LOL. I can’t see it with my 10 year olds’ eyes to forgive it anymore. I am with @divedivedive and @RichVR; I like the new effects. I am normally a purist, but I am not an ideologue. Its all in the details for me (#HanShotFirst).

Beautiful diamonds on dog crap may make it sparkle, but its still dog crap.
Confucius

If the dog crap is animated I might agree with you. Otherwise no. The work is great.

confucius

Saw this on a bumper sticker this week. I liked it.

I have two ex-wives…because Murder is illegal.
Martin Heidegger

I guess it’s because as a kid, I was into animation. I actually animated things on Super 8 film. I’d film my friends and when I got the film back I’d cut the film into parts and hang them from, well, hangers. The ones with the cardboard rolls. Each one, cut into strips. And I’d use a jewelers loupe my grandpa had. I would use sewing needles and markers to make Star Trek toys fire beams and would dig holes in the back yard when the hit something.

My parents were not happy.

I had a cheap Kodak splicer with splice strips. I would spend HOURS on this.

What were we talking about again?