Necklace.
Planet.
Decay, need more now or…
Damaged by normal use.
Damaged by space monster.
Drained by space storm.
Wear and tear.

What are they and what do they do?

Yeah, but we know all we need to know about them - they’re a source of power for the Enterprise. Running out of them would be Really Bad. Not terribly technobabble-y.

You forgot,“Stolen by a boring not-John Barrymore”. And I am satisfied by @divedivedive’s handling of your attempt to throw shade above.

I have no idea of they upgraded the sound. I know they made it 5.1, and you can flick between mono and 5.1, but there were no differences in the tiny bit I compared. I’m willing to believe there’s a lot of difference between the two, though!

Tangent: I’ve been mildly annoyed by

a) the use of imperial units, e.g. Fahrenheit, as I only really use imperial distances and I can never understand what X Fahrenheit is.
b) the MIX of imperial and metric units

I can understand a) as it’s an American show, written in the 60s, back when NASA was still using imperial, but to MIX them? Ugh! What kind of heresy is this? I was thinking of keeping track of who said what unit, but some guy beat me to it.

That can’t be right. Matter / anti-matter physics are the source of power for the Enterprise. The dilithium crystals do something else. Focus something something?

Also, haven’t seen the re-CGIed episodes, don’t really want to. For me it’s like colorizing b&w movies. Don’t do it! Felt that way about Star Wars, too.

Well, you watched Mudd’s Women right? Everyone tensely pointing out that they were down to their last crystal and once they lost that one the ship’s orbit started decaying. Now if your point is that the crystals act like a spark plug and facilitate the internal combustion of matter and antimatter ok, I didn’t read any of the technical manuals so there could be a better way to put it. Crystals make the engine keep going putt-putt or something.

I did, but I also remember Scotty saying ‘ye can’t mix matter and antimatter cold, mon’ in another episode. The crystals are something to do with the engines, but they never really explain what.

I cannot even come close to describing how few f***s I give about this.

I live in Canada and we are officially metric.

My temperatures are in Celcius except when using an oven; then it’s Fahrenheit.

I drive distances measured in kilometres but have no idea what my height is in centimetres; it’s in feet and inches.

All the supermarket flyers show me their steak specials in dollars per pound with tiny print showing the price per kilogram.

Agree, Memory Alpha says this:

Dilithium , also known as radan , was an element, a member of the hypersonic series, mostly occurring as crystalline mineral. It was used to control the power of the warp drive systems of many starships by regulating the matter/antimatter reaction in a ship’s warp core because of its ability to be rendered porous to light-element antimatter when exposed to high temperatures and electromagnetic pressures. It controlled the amount of power generated in the reaction chamber, channeling the energy released by mutual annihilation into a stream of electro-plasma.

I found this online.

According to Txchnologist , General Electric’s online tech magazine, this fusion reactor would be fueled by “a few tonnes” of deuterium (a heavy isotope of hydrogen) and lithium-6 (a stable molecule of lithium) in a crystalline structure – hence the “dilithium crystal” claim. Technically, dilithium is a molecule with two covalently bonded lithium atoms, while lithium-6 features six bonded atoms, but we can forgive them for the temptation of using a little poetic license. When the deuterium and the lithium-6 are forced together under high pressure they undergo a fusion reaction – a process which they’re still trying to turn into a net producer of energy. While fusion isn’t yet a viable fuel source, recent developments in the field seem to indicate that we can’t be far away.

Thanks for this post. I’ve tried over the last two days to watch Mudd’s women, and am completely bored by it. But reading this post has given me extra motivation to keep going! It gets better!

I’m just so tired of seeing glamour shots of these women again and again, with almost nothing happening in the episode so far except the crew acting all goofy.

Oh, and Mudd getting the lie detector test in his hearing. That was amusing. I wonder why they don’t use the polygraph machine in Next Gen time period? Maybe by then they decided it wasn’t accurate enough and shouldn’t be used for hearings like this.

I’d say my opinion appears to be the outlier here so let’s see what you think when it’s over.

It also doesn’t help that I’m coming off watching Star Trek: Discovery’s Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd, who I thought was much more interesting to watch than the actor from the 60s who plays Mudd.

Carmel is much more interesting in I, Mudd (as we’ll see in Season 2) because it is a much better script which affords him many more opportunities to play the incompetent rogue thing to the hilt. In Mudd’s Women he is essentially a grinning pimp, who is only funny in that one scene. But that one scene was so good it got the character and actor a follow up role, and a beloved place in franchise lore.

I take exception to this, I think Mudd was fairly competent. He managed to negotiate a transaction for his women to the miners under Kirk’s nose and almost pulled off the whole deal.

Horseshoes and hand grenades. Like he almost outran the Enterprise. Or almost…well that is next season.

Tooo many almosts, Dive squared. You are squared because you almost had a point.
Almost.

But that doesn’t make him incompetent, so much as a victim of circumstance.