These Are The Voyages-Star Trek TOS Remastered and Reconsidered

I’m with Rich, when I rewatched this my first thought was “AARGH! Child actors!” But I admit I found the overall concept pulled it through, despite the MASSIVE PLOT HOLE you’ve all mentioned above. Not my favourite episode though. I did find that my momentum watching the first season again was maintained by the novelty of revisiting the show, but it’s fortunate that things pick up - in a big way - later in the season otherwise I’m not sure I’d have made it. I managed to make it all the way through the third season, but that was admittedly because there’s the occasional gem amongst it all.

Navaronegun, you are probably thinking of “And The Children Shall Lead” which I strongly suggest Pod puts on his “Skip” list.

(edited to emphasise the word strongly)

So I finished Mudd’s Women.

This scene was the turning point for me. It really captured my attention for the first time, and I was finally hooked into the episode. And I kind of loved how they handled the whole thing. I love that one lady’s rant at the end, that the guy doesn’t care about whether she can cook and handle the hard living on the frontier, or be a companion and listen to his problems. All he cares about is their looks.

And I kind of loved that the only thing that was magical about them was their confidence. Of course, it’s presented to us differently, with make-up changes and soft-focus and lighting changes, but that has been the case since the first episode, right? In the Man Trap, we immediately see the Doctor seeing someone different from everyone else on the away team. Star Trek has now established that it’s showing you in the audience something different based on perception, so we know not to take make up changes, etc. as literal changes on their face. I like the concept that how they see themselves, and the confidence they carry with them makes such a huge difference.

The big eye-opening moment in movies that made me realize that truism (if it is a truism) was the movie Being John Malkovich. I thought Catherine Keener in that movie was the sexist being on the planet.

And then I saw her in other movies, and you know what? She’s a good looking lady, but that super-confident creature in Being John Malkovich was completely different and sexy on a completely different scale. Confidence and how you carry yourself can make a huge difference.

Anyway, so yeah, I totally did a 180 on this episode. I thought it was the most boring episode yet, until that scene I quoted above that dive transcribed for us, and then after that I loved this episode. It’s got some social commentary that I expect and love from Star Trek.

Well, check out my re-view, I think we see eye to eye on “Miri”. I think for me It falls into “inoffensive” and not “bad” because of the guest stars, period. And as Rich points out, good science. But that is like debating about whether a team is in 2nd to last place or in last place. :)

But, no, Friendly Angel, I wasn’t transposing Miri with that stinker. :) I just mean more along the lines, that I always associated S1 with great episodes. And I have seen them all as many times as you have. But the reality is, going episode by episode, these first 8 only have 3 that make it into my top half. And only one in my top 25. Maybe (it’s kind of theoretical until it all shakes out). The first half of Season One is really shaky. Season 3-level shaky. aAnd it always seems to revolve around Writing/Script editing choices.

I know, I was bit a little facetious there. There’s no way you’d mix those two episodes up. Season one really picks up in a couple of episodes though, so the typical shaky first season of Star Trek syndrome really only applies to the start.

Incidentally, while season 3 has some stinkers, and a high proportion of them at that, it also has some really classic episodes… or elements. One of the best scenes in the entire original series is found in a season 3 episode. Ask me again when we get to Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.

“What are Little Girls Made Of?”

Ok, so first of all, Nurse whatshername is back! And it turns out she’s married. Sorry gents. But wait, her husband might be dead? No wait, he’s alive! But wait, he’s clearly been getting it on with an android lady who is topless except for suspenders.

Kiss Kirk, he commands her? See Captain? There’s no emotion whatsoever. It’s just an android. (Hint: See honey? It’s meaningless sex, no emotion at all).

Ok, so seeing two red shirts die didn’t really raise the stakes all that much, so I have to say that for this to be the first time we see a couple of redshirts die on the show, their death was pretty meaningless. There was a tense scene later in the caves where Kirk plans to hit the big android with a giant penis and push him to his death like the big guy killed the red shirts. But then it turns out Kirk isn’t strong enough to do that, and a giant penis is a terrible weapon against androids. Against a human, it could be very effective. Aaah, get that thing away from me. Awwwwwwwwwww. (Dead).

Later, despite all the evidence so far, Kirk hilariously thinks he can kiss emotions into the android girl! Pfffft. Buahahah. Go Kirk! Give it the old college try!

Of course, the joke’s on me, because it works! He kisses her so hard, she gets all flustered and emotional. This scene had me laughing so hard, I literally fell off the couch laughing.

Fake Kirk’s trip up to the Enterprise was kind of wasted, wasn’t it? Spock figured out that it was an imposter, but it didn’t end up mattering because Kirk can kiss so well, he didn’t need Spock’s help.

Overall, I was very entertained by this episode. But a weird pattern has emerged so far in watching 1960s Star Trek.

1. Beware of powerful mind-controlling beings.
  2. Beware of imposters mimicking the crew.
  3. Watch out ladies. You might get raped. Or, used as sex objects.

I’m really enjoying myself so far. And I realized something while watching “What are Little Girls Made of?” I realized that this show is pretty unique. What other show from the 60s are we rewatching? None. What other 60s show is widely available for streaming? None that I’m aware of. What other 60s show still has so much cultural cachet?

Speak for yourself! I am also watching The Outer Limits, because it’s awesome, and The Prisoner, because it’s… also awesome! Damn, I am feeling so erudite this morning.

You should make a thread! If you’re really rewatching, and not just pretending. :)

AND Secret Agent!

Course i’m not pretending! I’m not watching them sequentially though, and I haven’t watched an Outer Limits episode for a couple of months; I tend to watch several episodes in a row, then switch to something else, etc. I’m also 3/4 of the way through Deep Space Nine, and currently watching Blake’s 7. The Prisoner I was intending to start after Blake’s 7 because I’m in the mood finally to get onto it. I’ve also got Sapphire and Steel ready to watch. Phew. I guess it’s because I only watch one a night, and sometimes skip a few nights due to work.

I must admit I should have started a thread for the Blake’s 7 rewatch, but I wasn’t sure anyone would really be interested.

I’ll do the Prisoner with you. Once a week? It’s short, and I can fit it in with some re-views. I am VERY up on the series, I am a bit of a McGoohan fanboy.

I can probably do that. Not this week though, crazy busy. Wait, what am I posting on here for then? Ok, ok, back to writing.

Ok, when you are ready, one a week?

Sounds like a plan.

Regarding “Miri”

I’m lukewarm on this episode. As other have mentioned, the premise of a duplicate Earth is really stupid and doesn’t figure into the story in any meaningful way. My wife thought that maybe they did it to ensure the crew could catch the disease but I don’t buy it. Pretty weak.

However, the rest of this was pretty good. I actually enjoyed a much of the dialogue between the crew and between Kirk and Miri (although it was a bit creepy in places).

While the kid actors were not so great I really liked Michael Pollard as the ringleader. There’s something about how he knows he’s in control of this mob of kids and can get them to do anything. When Kirk is trying to reason with all of them, the camera cuts to Pollard a couple of times and he’s got this smug look on his face like he know’s he’s holding all the cards.

Regarding Pod’s comment about how they are 300 years only and still act like kids. Well, they still are kids. Their brains and bodies haven’t developed so they still only think and reason like children. At least that’s my take.

Notes:

• “No Blah Blah Blah!” That’s my favorite line. My wife and I use it all the time as shorthand for “you’re talking too much.”

• I always thought their were called “Grubs”.

• I like the Scab effect

• Sleeveless Kirk!!

• Why are their uniforms so easy to rip? You’d think fabrics in the future would be more durable

-Greg out!

Oh yeah - I’ve been using this gif forever and now I know where it came from!

Hmmm…saying things when you have no idea what they really mean…

cheated

I really thought about that one, I think it was a (poor) decision to reflect the passage of time on the planet? Dirt would have sufficed…

“Miri”.

Another episode that’s not as bad as I was afraid it was going to be.

Remember how in the beginning of the episode, they find another Earth? So, for some reason, someone made a duplicate of Earth? Like the whole planet? This is going to be so stupid, I thought.

But no, they kind of ignore that once the real story gets going. And the real story is about 300 year old kids that age really slowly. And how kids are really monsters.

So bravo Star Trek. I think I’ll have nightmares tonight about being attacked by spoiled brats.

All right folks, let’s kick off this week’s discussion with a new episode. This time it’s “Dagger of the Mind”.

This is another one that I can’t remember much of anything about. I found this episode to be … strange, in ways that I am finding hard to explain. It’s tonally a little off, kind of all over the place. For instance, McCoy brings up concerns about the escaped Van Gelder and what he’s been telling him about the Tantalus penal colony. Spock, often the foil and source of arguments for McCoy, backs him up professionally. But Kirk’s attitude seems to be humorous, almost contemptuous of McCoy’s concerns. And he clearly appears to be taking the side of Adams, who Kirk has never met and only knows by reputation (and if nothing else, their experiences in “What Are Little Girls Made Of?” should make them wary of that) over his own chief medical officer.

And Kirk’s first meeting with Noel in the transporter room is a little odd. They get around to explaining that there was some incident at a Christmas party, but Kirk doesn’t seem to take her very seriously either. Then they beam down and take a rocket elevator ride, which isn’t really explained but gives them a chance to get very close to each other.

But after that things kind of level off. I have to give credit to the incidental actors in this episode, they do a good job of giving just enough blankness to their performances to indicate things are a little off on the colony, but not enough to make you suspect there’s any foul play, yet. There’s a shot of Lethe that I thought was really effective:

lethe

The way one eye is in the light and one is in shadow gives her a kind of otherworldly look. Have to call out the actor that played Van Gelder too - he takes the chance to play bug-eyed crazy with both hands and runs with it. Wikipedia says that the actor felt he was being typecast in westerns and leaped at the chance to do something different. I’d say it shows.

In the end, I find it hard to say if I liked this episode or not. It kind of seems like “Miri” in that I think there were some interesting ideas here, and certainly interesting performances, but I’m not sure they come together into a very cohesive whole. Maybe someone else will have a better take on this episode than I have.