These Are The Voyages-Star Trek TOS Remastered and Reconsidered

Great reviews by all, but especially this @GregB! I am taking a break from a magilla (this one gets a magilla, of course.) and I read this. 100%.

They both play poker.

This thread has been pretty quiet. Some big episodes coming up.

I was thinking the same thing, odd that there was so little discussion over Corbomite. Well, I intend to watch the next episode later this morning and have notes up as soon as I can.

There wasn’t much to talk about in Corbomite. Except the alien at the end being played by a kid, and I was the only one who wanted to ridicule that apparently. :P

OK everyone - I’m going to move forward with comments on the next episode. As we’re no doubt all aware, we’ve reached the point of watching “The Menagerie”, which is a two-part episode. Personally, I made the decision back when we started this thread that I would, as best I could, replicate the viewing experience of someone watching these on air. So I’m only going to comment on the first episode, and complete the viewing experience next week. I certainly don’t expect everyone to follow my lead on this, if you prefer to watch and write about the whole two-parter by all means do so, just being up front with my viewing choice.

I’ve always liked The Menagerie, for two main reasons. First, I love a puzzle, and a mystery, and this episode has a great one: Spock is completely upfront about committing mutiny by taking control of the Enterprise to get Captain Pike back to Talos IV. But his reasons are inscrutable, at least in the first episode. We start putting it together, but we’re left hanging by the end. Why would the completely logical and loyal Spock act in such a bizarre manner? Now of course I know how this turns out, but it’s fun for me to imagine watching this back when we didn’t know as much about Spock as we all do now. Could he have nefarious goals? Could he be a traitor? We’ll have more suspicion cast on Spock in future episodes, they really play up his half-Vulcan status for that kind of thing a lot early on. But I’m curious what an original viewer must have thought about all this.

Secondly, I like how they took the aborted original pilot of Star Trek and turned it into something new. It’s kind of funny how they lampshade the fact that the court martial trial attendees are basically watching that original pilot. But there’s also an effective shock in seeing the damaged Pike initially and then seeing him in action later on, as captain of the Enterprise. Kind of funny to see Majel Barrett again as Number One, I wonder if that confused anyone who had already seen her a few times as Nurse Chapel.

Anyway, I guess I’m a little light on content this week because I’m only talking about the first half, but I do really like the way this started out. You can see the first draft of McCoy in the original pilot’s doctor, and seeing Nimoy take Spock into a little more robotic, less sardonic area then makes me feel like maybe the younger Spock grew into a man more comfortable around humans, at least (or maybe I’m overthinking it). Still, good episode and I’m anxious to talk about its conclusion next week.

Well, I have let the TOS thread down this last week. The curating and poll opening and closing and linking &etc. with the Movie Club really ate into my Corbomite time. So this week I will post my Corbomite impressions and next week do a full impression of both Parts of The Menagerie.

This is one of my favorite episodes. First of all, because (as you say) there is a genuine mystery. Why has Spock kidnapped Pike and stolen the Enterprise, where is he taking him, and why? Of course you know on some level there will be a logical explanation for it, and that Spock hasn’t become evil Spock or lost his mind, but still, it works.

I’m also a sucker for a flashback story frame, going all the way back to Citizen Kane and so many good noir films of the 40s. The production values of the flashback story itself are very good because it was shot as a pilot. Hunter makes a good starship captain, and the scenario of his story is, from the standpoint of today’s Starfleet, exotic. Orion slave girls? Fighting with axes? Things were tough in them olden days!

I really enjoyed The Menagerie Part 1. I guess here we have our first two part Star Trek episode with a cliff hanger. The setup for the episode is really well done. The stakes are appropriately high, and they set everything up just so. The audience is left leaning forward, wanting to know what happens next.

My only real complaint in this episode is with how they ended it. I think they kept going a little too long. They setup a really compelling mystery, and I think if they had ended it just a bit sooner with Captain Pike helping those stranded colonists, that would have made a more interesting cliff hanger. Instead, they showed their hand already. They showed the aliens, they showed that the colonists were just an illusion, and they showed that Captain Pike was captured by the aliens. It deflates some of the curiousity I was feeling throughout the episode. It would have been better to keep that curiousity level high during the whole week that I was waiting for a new episode.

Now things seem to be fairly predictable. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but presumably the aliens can help Captain Pike in his current state, and I’m not all that curious anymore about the interaction they had back in the day.

Going back to my favorite scene: I love Captain Pike’s doctor/bartender scene. This is presumably the Captain feeling burnt out after the war with the Klingons we saw in Discovery, though he doesn’t state that directly. It looked like a pretty traumatic conflict so I don’t blame him. I just love how his doctor/friend gets him out of his funk by talking to him.

That scene is phenomenal. They lost 3 killed and many wounded in that mission that predates what we see. Really sets the tone.

It’s hard to watch The Menagerie without concluding that Pike’s galaxy was quite a bit more dangerous than Kirk’s is.

That is a really good scene. I liked how in the scene just prior, they pick up the distress signal from Talos IV and Pike is all, “Nope. Not checking that out without proof of survivors, waste of time.” My first thought was, wow Kirk probably would have gone. Then we find out that Pike is carrying wounded and lost crew in a battle and it comes together. Makes sense that he’s a burn out, but can’t talk to anyone about it because he’s the captain. And then the doctor makes it easier for him. Really nicely done.

Much as I love Kirk and the gang, I’m sorry we didn’t get to spend more time with Pike and his crew.

Agree, and we saw nothing of the supporting crew in Where No Man, like we do in the old scenes from Menagerie.

It still kills me how this pilot didn’t get picked up. It’s mind-boggling. The characters and dialogue are so well done.

For those of you that thought an kid as an alien was weird. You do know that the Talosians were women, right?

I did not know that. I assume that’s the alien race’s name? How can a whole race be one gender? And why are we putting this in spoiler tags? Does it concern a future episode?

I think he means the actors. Adding more stuff so I can hide it.

He means the actors but I have no clue

why we are whispering.

It’s the first rule of mumble mumble mumble.

This is just to explain that I didn’t want to spoil it for some people.

You did good. And it’s why Balok being a kid didn’t bug me @Rock8man.

It just highlighted his alienness even more than the spooky monster cut-out.

BTW, @RichVR what was the whole “it was ruined by the new effects” thing all about?

I was afraid someone would ask that. I forgot. I might have been having a few cocktails at the time. I’ll have to go back and look again.