These Are The Voyages-Star Trek TOS Remastered and Reconsidered

He was too busy trying to figure out how to get Majel a gig in the episode and not have it conflict with her being Number One in the flashback recordings.

“Two Gigs!!” {Rubs hands greedily}

More like "Two giggities!!" am I rite

Gene was the model for Quagmire in Family Guy, yes.

So are Rock8man and I the only folks who watched The Menagerie?

Haven’t finished part 2 yet.

Had a hell of a work week. I’ll be catching up and posting soon.

All right, moving on, today I watched “The Conscience of the King”. It is another episode that I have only the vaguest memory of, so it was almost like watching a new episode. And overall, I’d say it was pretty good. A fairly simple morality play, kind of funny since it’s centered around an acting troupe that performs Shakespearean plays around the galaxy.

This episode plays fairly straight for ostensibly trying to make a mystery of its central character. Is Karidian really Kodos the Executioner? Nobody really ever seems to doubt this except Kirk, who doesn’t really doubt but wavers because he requires absolute certainty in order to hold the man accountable for his crimes. I was amused that Spock arrives at his conclusion confirming the man’s identity through deduction and has no time for doubters, he constantly seems to be crossing his arms and huffing at Kirk and McCoy’s dithering. And the episode doesn’t really try to throw us as viewers off the scent. And maybe it’s just because I watch too much TV, but I kind of figured that Lenore was the one killing witnesses off, it certainly wasn’t because I am some super genius. I guess it just seemed too obvious that it would be Kodos himself, but then the showing of the actors performing Macbeth just kind of tipped me off that they may have been going for a play on the Lady Macbeth angle.

Anyway, we see the return of Riley, who I really did think might get killed off this episode. But probably I just watch too much Game of Thrones. I thought they were going for something that could be seen as tragically interesting, but the one real problem I have with this episode is timelines. I couldn’t make sense of what happened exactly when. I get that the whole Kodos episode occurred twenty years ago, but then what were Kirk and Riley doing there? And how old were they? They couldn’t have been Starfleet officers twenty years ago, even Kirk would have to have been a teenager at latest. Which brings me to Lenore - Kirk is flirting up a 19-year-old girl as a mid-thirties ship’s captain? I can’t imagine that people didn’t look a bit sideways at that even in the 60s! And also, the colony lost all its food so Kodos decides half the colony has to die? Jeez, how far away was this colony? It can’t take that long to get supply ships out there, they even remark that ships arrived faster than expected, rendering his massacre of half the colony pointless. That whole thing just feels weird, like the ending of The Mist (the movie, not the book).

Anyway I did enjoy the episode, it had great little character moments for many of the characters and presented an interesting dramatic situation. It just left me a little confused at times.

I’ve only seen the first 15 minutes, but my first thought when the episode started was: Oh, I didn’t know they already had a holodeck in the original Star Trek.

I loved every scene that the Karidian/Kodos was in. The Spock/Kirk/McCoy parts were really great too. As was Riley’s murder scene. What a beautiful song to kill him off with.

But I hated Kirk’s love interest in this episode. Every scene she was in, I just wanted to fast forward.

I had the same reaction to the girl. It doesn’t help that she’s not a character at all, just a plot mechanism.

She gets a lot more interesting when you find out she’s straight-up psycho. You know, right at the end of the episode. Uh, spoilers I guess.

Agree that Arnold Moss as Karidian is outstanding in every scene. The perfect mix of repressed guilt and world-weariness.

Not sure I agree that Barbara Anderson as Lenore is not good. And she really comes alive at the end.

This is one of my favorite episodes, which tells a human story without a lot of unnecessary window dressing. It’s true that the backstory could have been more credible, but I don’t think that harms it much, because the backstory is just the precipitator of the emotions and motivations we see in the story we’re actually watching.

Also, too: Alas, poor Riley. I knew him, Horatio.

A new week, a new episode - and this time around it’s “Balance of Terror” which has always been my favorite TOS episode and, by extension, my favorite episode of Trek. Watching it again, I wondered if it would still hold up for me. Though I’ve seen it many times, it’s been a while since my last viewing. Does it still have the magic?

I’m happy to say that for the most part, it does. It’s still a bang-up episode, tense with action and mystery. It’s our first meeting with the Romulans, and as the episode tell us the war between the Federation and Romulus ended over a hundred years ago with no parties involved ever actually meeting in person, all battles were fought in space in primitive vessels that couldn’t even communicate - so nobody even knows what a Romulan looks like! Imagine viewers’ surprise when they turn out to look just like Vulcans. It’s hard to put yourself into the mindset of an original viewer, and kind of hard to purge all the knowledge of Romulans to come in the future. And I’ll admit, the whole Roman theme they follow (why? Did a book of Roman history get dropped through a wormhole to Romulus sometime in the past?) is a little cheesy. But they have a warlike nature, and are provoking another war. So the Enterprise must step in and deal with things. Also, you just know the whole wedding thing has doomed Tomlinson and Martine by the end of the episode.

But enough about that, let’s talk about the awesome. I absolutely love the cat and mouse between Kirk and his Romulan counterpart. I also love that, while the Romulan ship has new technology that seems crazy overpowered, it’s offset by weaknesses that makes the battle between the two much more even - the Romulans can’t use their invisibility indefinitely due to power consumption, and they have to decloak to fire weapons. Now it may seem a little silly how obviously this is just a repurposed submarine thriller, but it works - even when the two captains are whispering while floating in space, and Spock’s silly mistake to set off the alarm exists just to break the stalemate. But I also love that the two captains respect each others’ abilities and intelligence, and there’s no real malice. More trepidation really, Kirk is filled with doubt over what may end up being his role in starting a new intergalactic war.

I’m also intrigued in the way that Kirk openly tolerates dissenting opinions from his crew, but comes down hard only when disobedience starts to rear its head. And he verbally slaps down Stiles once the Romulans are revealed as physically similar to Vulcans. “Leave your bigotry in your quarters - there’s no place for it on the bridge.” Damn, that one must have left a mark.

So yeah, I still love this episode but I’m surprised that I can’t say I love it more than “The Corbomite Maneuver”, both seem equally strong to me on review but for different reasons. Curious if others enjoyed this episode as much as I did, or if it just seemed too cliché to get into.

I found this episode pretty boring. I love submarine movies, but when Star Trek tries to do submarine type battles in space, like here and in Wrath of Khan, I get pretty bored. I think it’s just the things they have to do to stretch the rules of the battle and make it fit into that mold that seem weird. Like firing phasors at empty space is apparently like firing of area of effect depth charges now? Only for this episode?

You’ve got a point about the phasers, that would have made more sense if they used photon torpedoes but I guess they didn’t exist in the lore yet?

Balance of Terror was my favorite Balance of Terror until I saw The Enemy Below. At which point Balance of Terror became my second favorite Enemy Below.

Well, it makes sense to me.

I thought the Romulans invented photon torpedoes; the Federation encounters them in this episode and adopts them as an alternate weapon system?

I liked the Romulan commander so much in this episode. It seemed like temperamentally he was more suited to being a Starfleet commander than a servant of the Romulan Empire.

The Romulans use a Plasma weapon.

The other plot you describe…doesn’t occur.

You may be right about the photon torpedoes, I don’t know exactly how or when they turn up in Starfleet armaments. I too really liked the way they handled the Romulan captain, and how you get a feel for the politics involved. Once he believes he’s knocked out the Enterprise with a nuclear device, he wants to get back home to Romulus, but he’s goaded into taking out the Enterprise by his ambitious underling. The whole thing plays out really well.

First Appearance was “Arena”. Nothing in lore about stealing tech from Romulans. The cloaking device was stolen in a Season 3 episode.