These Are The Voyages-Star Trek TOS Remastered and Reconsidered

It looks more like glitterface anyhow. I’m sure we’ll hear from those of the Meyer Vampire persuasion about how inappropriate that is soon enough.

Is this appropriate?

Not til season three!

Absolutely not! Those fights are not up to Starfleet regulations.

BTW, B, I am really amped that you are jumping on this train too.

Having finished the drafts of City on the Edge of Forever and now its many afterwords, I want to throw out one last item and then I’ll let it lie. Harlan mentions up front that the accusation that he had written Scotty dealing drugs was a spurious accusation - Scotty never appeared in an of the drafts. Gene Coon and D.C. Fontana support this in their notations in the afterword, Scotty never appeared in Harlan’s version at all (in his versions, Janice Rand occupies the spot that Scotty would take in the final version). It’s one of those embellishments that’s grown with the telling over the years, possibly Roddenberry’s own invention.

Mmmm, I love velour pants worn so that you can tell if a guy is circumcised or not

Maybe not one of Bill Theiss’s proudest accomplishments

To be fair he was truly a master of gauze and double sided tape.

Let’s move the timeline forward folks, this week it’s Operation: Annihilate! In which Kirk must contemplate Exterminatus! In the grim darkness of the future, there is only Star Trek! OK, I’m done.

I was drawing a total blank on this episode up until a certain point, and you can probably guess what that is. I had forgotten about the encroaching space madness on planet Deneva, and the failed attempt to rescue the ship that had set its controls for the heart of the sun. But then they finally reach the planet and we find the cause of all these problems:

neural-parasite-episode

Oh yeah, these little bags of puke*. It’s hard to take them seriously when they flit across the screen like weird little Halloween decoration bats, but then they land on Spock and inject their tentacles that take over your whole body! It’s neither here nor there really, but the revelation that Spock had little tentacles winding throughout his entire nervous system made me think of Hyperion, and the priest’s tale about the cruciform. I wonder if Dan Simmons was a fan of this episode?

Anyway, it gets all serious and Spock gets worse and then he gets better and then everyone decides nothing can be done for anyone so let’s just kill the whole planet. As usual only Kirk thinks this might be a bad idea and they get the bright (ha!) idea to turn the lights on really high, which kills the aliens and conveniently, also the parasites they inject into people. Yay, everyone wins!

I like this episode for the most part, but the wrap-up strikes me as a little too tidy. It’s all set up with massive stakes and potentially high consequences but in the end there are none. Even after McCoy blinds Spock in his haste to kill the parasite, it’s all rolled back when we find out oh yeah, Vulcans have another eyelid, like a cat. I don’t hate the ending, it just feels very anticlimactic to me, and I find it affects my opinion of the entire episode a little adversely. Definitely a step down from last week’s episode.

And with that, we have reached the end of season one of the original series of Star Trek! We’re pretty much 1/3 of the way through our little excursion. I’m pondering whether we should take a break here, catch our breath, ready ourselves before diving back into season two. I’m open to opinions on that, it’s everyone’s ballgame after all.

*Not even kidding! From Wikipedia for this episode: " The neural parasites were created by prop designer Wah Chang from bags of fake vomit."

I watched the rest of this episode last night. I really liked Kor, and the introduction of the Klingons. They’re contrasted with the Federation being a democracy versus the Klingon Empire which rules by force. The Organians can even see into the future and tell them that despite their initial wars, the Klingons and humans will eventually become friends. You can already see the seeds of this as Kor and Kirk have a lot more in common with each other than they do with the Organians. When Kirk is disguised as an Organian, Kor immediately takes a liking to Kirk as one of the only people there without a smug smile on his face. Someone who doesn’t like being ruled! My kind of guy!

Anyway, a decent episode. Certainly the Klingons seem a lot more interesting to me than the stupid Romulans who were introduced in that earlier boring episode.

squintingfry

Thoughtcrime

Fixed it for everyone.

I will give that Romulan episode another try at some point, just so that I can be sure the reason I dislike it isn’t the fact that I slept through some of it. Then maybe you guys will stop giving me side-eye.

Maybe after Season 3 is over.

I should be able to catch up to everyone else this weekend. Sorry about being behind again.

I am enjoying this thread so I would love to see it keep on trucking although if any individual watcher/summarizer is getting burnt out, perhaps others can help with the load?

The next episode in the order of airdate is on my short list of all time favorites. It’s one of the episodes I was thinking of re-watching to see if it holds up.

I can volunteer to watch “Amok Time” and post a summary by next week if you want divedivedive.

Perhaps others can pitch in as well.

I’m ok to keep cranking, I just like to take the temperature from time to time. Is one a week a fair pace? Are we doing ok? I know @Rock8man occasionally falls behind and tries to catch up - and that’s fair, life happens. Just wondering if a pause would help us all get back on the same page?

Edit: I’ve given some thought to @Sharpe’s idea and I kind of like it. If anyone knows an episode is coming along and you’re a big fan or you have something you really want to say, I have no problem if you want to jump in and take the lead. I’m not running the show here, I just try to set the pace.

Yeah, that’s the only reason this episode was interesting to watch. In the end, the matter/anti-matter parallel universes spiel between Spock and Kirk was just so cheesy. And don’t get me started on the horrible security on the Enterprise again. I think my favorite scene in the whole episode is after the Doctor has already let Lazarus loose on the ship once, and said to Kirk how the hell is he supposed to know where he is? It’s a big ship! All while he’s supposed to be a patient of his. Anyway, my favorite scene is when he has charge of Lazarus a second time, and this time he tells Kirk to get rid of the muscleman (the security guy suddenly standing next to him who wasn’t there in any earlier scenes) from his sickbay. Then he assures Kirk that he won’t lose sight of Lazarus this time. Then Kirk leaves. And then McCoy also leaves. But before he leaves, he stops, and contemplates the fact that he just told Kirk he wouldn’t lose sight of Lazarus this time. But he gets a little smile on his face and he LEAVES ANYWAY. That McCoy! He’s such a rebel.

Meanwhile, Kirk and Spock have their big conversation about matter/anti-matter, Lazarus/Anti-Lazarus and how the two can’t meet. You’d think this conversation would result in them going down and making sure Lazarus is safe. But no, when Lazarus starts a fire, and the crew call up to the bridge, Kirk and Spock are no longer in the ready room discussing matter/anti-matter and the fate of the universe. Instead, they’re chilling on the bridge now. Because apparently the conversation they just had didn’t spark any sense of urgency, despite the fact that they were just saying both universes could be destroyed if Lazarus met Lazarus.

Kirk: Alright, enough of this heavy talk about the universe, let’s go hang out on the bridge, I hear the drink ladies are serving pina coladas there.
Spock: But Captain, the fate of the two universii.
Kirk: There’s drink ladies on the bridge right now Spock.

DISCLAIMER: There were no drink ladies shown on the bridge in this episode.

Ok, it’s been many years since I last saw this episode. One thing that’s been a repeated theme during this re-watch is that every single episode has something that kind of bothers me. Most episodes also have something that I like, the better ones leave me with something to contemplate, but finally I have to admit, City on the Edge of Forever is really tight and tells its story well, and has no flaws. It’s the only episode during this first season that we’ve seen that I can say is excellent.

One of the weirder aspects of this story is how Edith Keeler seems to have a sixth sense almost. She can predict the future. And she can see the relationship between Spock and Kirk better than most people. I love the scene in which she calls him Captain after Spock finishes talking. “You can hear it even when he doesn’t say it”.

I just want to take a second and think about what this episode is trying to say. Edith Keeler’s motives were good, she wanted peace, she wanted to help the poor, she was a kind and generous person. And having bad timing, by pushing for peace when we should have been at war, she can cause the death of millions. I like that message. It’s sort of pushing the necessity of fighting wars, but it’s doing so without denigrating the people who want peace. It’s not like that earlier episode which seemed to be unequivocally saying that we can’t become hippies.

No. Never. Stop.