Thesis defense today!

After 10 years in school, today I defend my thesis. Sensitivity to Gain and Loss as Determinants of Performance in the Iowa Gambling Task.

Good luck! If I’ve learned one thing in life, THIS is the moment you should be using your potions and buffs. Don’t hold back and end up with a huge useless stockpile when the credits roll.

Congrats! Have you uploaded it to an open research archive?

Congrats!

Make sure to build a variety of towers to account for different enemy types, and don’t underestimate the benefit of upgrades.

Remember: upgrade your towers as quick as you can and watch the edge of the screen.

Don’t worry too much if one of the examiners gets very aggressive on a technical detail. A lot of times it’s a long-standing difference of opinion with other profs that they are taking the opportunity to harp on again.

Congrats!

I’m not totally sure how this works; would thesis defense represent a heightened state of alert? Would you then be authorized to use lethal measures in the interest of said defense?

Gambling? I am very interested. I wish you all the best.

Good luck, and more importantly: enjoy!!!

Oh lord have I seen this time and again, faculty taking their own petty nonsense into a defense…

Congrats and good luck!

Edit: Oh yeah, I think you get bonus points based on the number of times members of your committee make passive-aggressive remarks about each other and/or the state of the field. At least, that’s the best explanation I’ve come up with.

My defense is complete and I have stepped out of the room and am waiting on the deliberations.

Very nervous right now.

You should have just killed and eaten them all.

Good luck legoman!

A good offense is a good defense.

From my friend’s thesis defence in December. He brought backup.

After 10 years, I was too embarrassed to bring back up.

Conditional acceptance though.

I have to remove several tables and charts (to the appendix) from my results section, and add back in my methods section, which mysterious disappeared several drafts back, and neither I nor my advisor spotted it until today. I have a prior draft with that information.

Also, I have to add my discussion of the implications, something I wasnt sure I wanted to do earlier
The committee liked my work though, so it’s good.

Congrats!

Wooties!

By the way, thank you all for all the well wishes, and the jokes. I needed that. I was super anxious because I was still putting together the presentation until the start of the meeting.

My advisor told me not to worry, and I guess he was right, but telling a person not to worry doesn’t help.

I knew the material back to front (which surprised me), but the power point was lack luster. Bare bone bullet points. 12 or so slides. A few images.

The part after the presentation, the question and answer section, went really well. One of the Professors focused on the ANOVAs I used and the high numbers of results (results mining is frowned upon), but mostly they asked about the Behavior Approach System/Behavioral Inhibition System. Something I was familiar with.