They Are Billions - Zombies Meet AOE

Huh. Good to know.

Definitely look closely at the graphics (which you aren’t used to doing). That’s what I’m seeing in my couple of base building missions so far anyway.

I am seeing a lot of frustration with campaign missions with timers. That doesn’t sound very appetizing in a game that is already tuned to be difficult. Hope it’s not as bad as the comments suggest.

I’m finding the first 3 missions of the campaign a bit lack luster - dozens and dozens of tech limited turtle missions isn’t that appealing to look forward to.

Do the missions get more interesting later on? Or, should I just dive into the classic mode (I played that a few times way back, loved it and have been waiting for 1.0 balance).

I’m about to bail on the Campaign. Building umpteen Hunter Cottages so you can build umpteen Tents gets annoying after a while.

they removed the time limit from the 1st mission … I have a better idea now where they are coming from. Unfortunately, they come from 2 directions, from NW and from the Train Bridge. I watched a video and it looked so simple.

I agree they locked too much of the base building aspects too far up the tech tree.

But you can get Farms (And wooden cottages, on the way) by the third base building mission, which I think is a very good idea (for no other reason than “preserving sanity”).

I also can’t believe they didn’t allow you to create hard saves between campaign missions.

it is definetely not a power fantasy!

Yeah its pretty crazy to see that tech tree filled with so much stuff that should be unlocked far sooner.

Also dumb.

Yep, finished the first mission, key is to scout as much of the map and clear it before the zombie horde comes.

Base:

North of Base:

Overall I am liking it, might wait a week or two and see what adjustments/patches come down the line.

I think there’s good ideas there. I like the idea of getting things like storage or production bonuses, improving unit stats, and giving bonus units at the start. Ditto giving goodies to the train. But they wind up restricting too much of the game. Nobody should have to just use Rangers for anything more than once, ever (and maybe not even then). It’s cruel and unusual.

I get why they did it. Failing a mission doesn’t end the campaign, but when you retry you take a score hit. But it also means you can’t deal with the not easy to for-see consequences of not using their tech tree correctly (and even then it’s “spam cottages for two base missions” which is lame).

The second food create across the train bridge helps (and I never did fully explore to the N/NW there). Although I found I could hit 300 easily with the starting area and a little bit in the NW. Although I shouldn’t say easily; I’ve got hundreds of hours in survival so even with the train “restraint” I can grow pretty fast. The mission does require to play somewhat optimally, which is surprising for a first mission in a campaign. I can hit 300 people because I have a lot of experience growing colonies.

Wait, is Tom an influencer now? That would mean that I like and, in a way, follow an influencer.

I might have to reconsider some of my life choices.

I only had one horde come from the north, but I also had completely cleared the map prior to then, so no stragglers were left to come across the train bridge.

Success! I did it on 50% difficulty, that and 8 retries before (2 missions I retired), total of 10 points, but whatever. Now I am trying the first hero mission.

I cleared everything across the bridge but still got a horde coming from there, but I built some gates on the bridge and could hold them off with 10 rangers.

6-20-2019%202-45-17%20PM

:D

Well, it seems that I’m safe. Tom’s power to influence my purchasing decisions doesn’t come from his authority, knowledge, or position or relationship to me. I think it comes from his skill at skipping lore and his swiftness to apologize for cussing.

Played through the first few campaign scenarios and they are substantially easier than any normal scenario I’ve played in the early access period. The “horde” that arrives at the end is just the standard wave you might get at day 20 in a normal scenario…

The solo missions are a nice change of pace - though I screwed up the science one by forgetting to pickup the artifact. Oops. Heh.

I’ve been looking forward to this and would have purchased it by now if it weren’t for the campaign difficulty complaints. What a nuisance! Get your act together, developer-people!

I bought it & uninstalled eons ago, was actually excited to try the campaign and ugh, the reviews are scathing. So many people with hundreds of hours of gameplay leaving negative reviews this week. It’s like they were all hoping things would be easier. I guess the developer is just a sadist.

(to be fair they did issue a long-winded update today easing the first few scenarios, but I don’t really see any substantial difference between endless and the campaign which is my biggest complaint)

Having tried this back in EA and hoping the campaign might add some interesting tech tree choices and that the full version of the game would simply have more to do, I can see where the frustrated reviews are coming from. If I had any emotional investment in the game I imagine I’d be kind of disappointed about what a missed opportunity considering the time scale they had to work on it.