They Are Billions - Zombies Meet AOE

I didn’t get time to play yesterday, but on Wednesday I knocked out a 60% win on the 2nd map. I actually won quite handily, even though my outer perimeter walls were mostly in shambles. I had SO many units, mostly veteran snipers. Once I fell back to defended my command center it was easy to hold the line (very important to time the retreat of your forces to your “keep” just right - so they aren’t wasted).

It was a bit to min-maxy for my taste, the process that got me there, I never built any housing but tents, and I never built a power plant, just mills. I also never upgraded my buildings, always kept the starter ones and focused on chewing up more space instead of density - I very rarely ran out of resources this way.

This shot isn’t from the very end, but it is close.

This guy has some videos of high percentage challenges (one at 500%). He does not always win. Multiple wall layers and a Ranger horde seem key to his strategy.

Yah, if you look at what it actually costs to get to titans vs how much more damage they do than a ranger, it’s not balanced very well. The tradeoff you are usually making is resources for space, and space is really the only reason you need to upgrade most things, except stone walls. It’s difficult to justify anything beyond stone walls from a cost/benefit perspective. It also becomes much more of a crunch at higher levels, because everything happens much faster. It’s one thing when you have 150 days to get it done, but it’s seriously difficult even with perfect build order and no wasted time, to get a sizable force of titans built on a shorter map.

I’ve never actually tried full min/max as far as upgrades though, as I’m always wanting to get the upgrade goodies, I’ll give it a try today.

The “facility upgrades” are definitely for boom econimies cramped on space. None of them make sense on paper but you’ll wind up using some - especially the quarry upgrade, because Stone is so critical - on most maps. I go back and forth on the mill upgrade. Power Plants are amazing but each one consumes 5 stone, and stone is usually a major limiting factor in economies. So I seem to wind up doing a decent amount of wind mill upgrading until I’m well and truly in economic deathstar mode (where stone can potentially get to +100 with advanced quarries + warehouses, even on stone poor maps. But I never actually get to +100, because power plants).

The double wall, space, double wall, Executors + occasional Shock tower outer defenses is amazing even against brutal population hordes. I won a150-day 60% map 2 game that if I had played smarter I think could have won on a 120 day survival. The zombies didn’t penetrate a single outer defense. (behind the first row of mixed turrets was more Executors).

My “don’t upgrade much” strategy was going pretty well, until a wood set of walls I had missed upgrading to stone was of course the attack point of an invasion lol. The space problem is a real pain in the behind in this game, there is just never enough of it.

There are also some problems with really sprawling bases. 1. It’s easy to miss a mistake or oversight you made. 2. The closer you are to the edges of the map, the shorter lead time you have on a horde arriving. I’ve been caught out by this a few times, and haven’t gotten my main force to defend in time.

3rd attempt and I’ll take it! and it wasn’t 150 days… more like 129. time to step it up!
I kinda wish there was a way to speed up the time. occasionally the game seemed to go slow…

You won’t really be asking for a speed up button once you up the difficulty to 100%+, but that being said, it seems like a reasonable feature request for more casual play.

true… I hear you there. I would think like - speed up combined with the pause being a nice combo. Pause, build out a ton of stuff - un-pause… and go!

Hello everyone:

I’ve been addicted to this game since purchasing it a week or so ago, absolutely love it! I created a new gameplay / tutorial playlist (just episode #1 at this point) aimed at new players of this game, so that I can pass on the tips & tricks, knowledge, and everything else I learned in the past week. I hope everyone enjoys it!! take it easy & here’s the link

@cpl_kindel, this forum isn’t really intended to be just a place for people to post links to their own content hosted elsewhere. The exception is the thread dedicated to that:

Can you save mid-game and come back where you left off?

Yah, you can “save and exit” as much as you want.

Great, thanks.

Wow, just spotted this on Humble Bumble… looks awesome (I’m a total turtler myself).

Well worth buying if you are even remotely interested. I’ve got about 50 hours into at this point, and it’s not a genre that I usually get much play time out of.

Is there a tutorial or something? I jumped in and I’m not really sure where to start with my buildings and orders. I’ve read through the help and I know what they do but I just need a gentle nudge in the right direction .

I just downloaded a large patch, but not sure I see the patch notes.

I watched a bunch of Youtubes, glad I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej5erezJ1vY

Check the Guides section for the game on Steam. The guide about how to win in 80 days is excellent.