They drew first blood in Mortal Kombat

Title They drew first blood in Mortal Kombat
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When October 8, 2020

https://youtu.be/WveIrH4efjg

That’s John Rambo in Mortal Kombat 11. Sylvester Stallone even supplies the voice work, according to studio head Ed Boon…

Read the full article

Nice. Can’t wait to pit Rambo against the Terminator.

I was surprised to see MK11 has sold over 8 million copies, which was announced recently. I had no idea that the new Mortal Kombat games were so successful again.

Hugely successful. They have crossover appeal for single player folks, whereas other fighters don’t. I joked about the convoluted plot, but people seem to really like that about the NetherRealm games.

At this point in my life, my fighting games are limited to Nether Realms and Gundam Versus. I like that Nether Realms is still accessible enough and provides a lot of single player content. As such, I have been very interested in MK11, but I am waiting for the final Komplete or whatever edition that has all the DLC.

Well that’s the Ultimate edition that was just announced!

Oh. My bad, I thought this was just another season of DLC in a Kombat pack added to previous stuff, but they were not done, done. It seems like Neather Realms is not ever done with DLC for a game until or after the next one is out.

Edit: I guess I should not have used the word “ultimate”. Whatever their final release is, that is the one I’m looking for. I still can’t tell from some quick searches if they are done or if this is just a DLC pack/ PS5 transition release.

I would suspect it depends on COVID. A lot of big fighting game development has been placed up in the air, especially since offline tournies are likely having a 2 year hiatus, and EVO might never come back. That said, MK is less impacted by EVO than most, due to their strong ties with Combo Breaker, their much stronger casual base, and the NRS community not caring as much about EVO as most FGC heads.

Mortal Kombat has become the Smash Bros for 80s action movies. I’m ok with this.

I’m trying to think of where they would go next. Mad Max?

After doing some Googling, maybe Conan, Chuck Norris, JCVD.

Get super meta and add Christopher Lambert’s Highlander. Have him talk shit to Raiden.

Some more ideas for The 80s Smash Bros

• Slashers: Freddy Kruger and Michael Meyers. Round out the Jason and Leatherface cast
  • Karate guys: Frank Dux (they wanted Van Damme in the original 1990s game), Brandon Lee’s Crow
  • At least one Killer Klown from Outer Space. Maybe all 3 they can tag team
  • Wilford Brimley as The Thing
  • Fuck it let’s get Vader and Luke in there too.
  • That chick from Night of the Demons. She was a hot monster, she can taunt Mileena
  • Ivan Drago
  • Ted Danson Zombie from Creepshow. His fatality is he buries you in sand while the tide comes in.
  • Conan the Barbarian is perfect for this game but they already have an Arnold, so having two Arnolds might ruin our immersion

If they’re doing 80’s karate guys, can’t go wrong with Daniel LaRusso.

Snake Plissken

I think Karate Kid is too wholesome for Mortal Kombat. It’s gotta be R rated movies so you can have some source material for the ultra-violent moves. I don’t see Daniel-san doing a rapid Wax On/Off move and pulling off someone’s skin as a fatality…

I love how over the top and absurd MK is, so taking it even farther is quite welcome.

I really need Brandon Lee’s Crow now that the seed has been planted.

Not many girls there, so Elvira would be a nice addition, I suppose. And maybe Kelly LeBrock from Weird Science?

Buffy Summers
Xena Warrior Princess
Imperator Furiousa
Ellen Ripley
Kira Nerys