They love us, they really do!

A recent poll among 40,000 citizens of 33 nations found that there is not a single nation in which a majority dislikes Europe, as a whole. Guess we must be really insignificant by now. :(

By the way, the most unpopular country today is Iran. Thanks to the tireless efforts of their president, the United States of America narrowly beat Russia to second place. Congrats!

Exactly which countries were polled here? And uh…does it really make sense to have everything go by countries except for the EU?

I hope when they say 33 nations polled they don’t count the EU nations seperately…because that would go a long way to explain a lot of this.

*After reading the end of poll it looks like the rating for the EU excludes all member nations…but if say, 10 of the 33 countries polled are EU, then you have a poor sample because the rating for US or China would be based on opinions of 32 out of 33 nations but the EU would be 23 out of 33…which would skew a lot of the results, I would imagine.

Looking at the results in more details makes for interesting reading.

Saudi Arabia are surprisingly positive towards America, with more Saudis feeling America is a postive influence than even Britain and Canada. The second most positive nation towards America, after the Philippines, was Afghanistan with 72% feeling the US was a positive influence on the world. The EU nations seemed to have a pretty poor view of everyone, except for each other and the Japanese. Nobody trusts Iran, Turkey trusts nobody and everyone loves Japan except for China.

I’m surprised at how well the British did. I remember when I first went travelling about 10-15 years ago, and the reaction I would get when telling people my nationality was uniformly negative. In Indonesia I started pretending I was Australian, as saying I was English would always result in a rather sad “ah… Ingris”. Sad, as in they seemed to react like it was the end of any potential friendship. In this report most Indonesians now view Britain as having a positive role in the world.

I wonder if Blair has finally put an end to Thatcher’s ugly legacy of foreign policy.

Ah, okay. These numbers do make a lot more sense now that I look at the details.

I think the US would’ve fared better and Japan quite a bit worse if they included more South. East Asian countries…and Japan itself. Funny how well Japan did when didn’t even partipate in the poll :)

Must be all those Final Fantasy games…

Just goes to show you, the only way to make friends on the international stage of events is to show them that you’re money and you like to party. After all, isn’t Japan’s number one export strangely jovial, graphic depictions of sexual deviancy?

This poll makes me think of that Peter Gabriel song from way back about Jeux Sans Frontiers.

Britain’s foreign image problem precedes Thatcher by a good century.

Games Without Frontiers, 3rd album (Melt), 1980.

“Do you have a flag?”

Ah, Gunboat Diplomacy.

The days when we had a deeply religious man in charge, and regulary sent in the forces to massacre the natives as part of a highly agressive, resource hungry foreign policy.

Saudi Arabia are surprisingly positive towards America, with more Saudis feeling America is a postive influence than even Britain and Canada.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone with a sense of perspective. As far as most Saudis are concerned, the U.S. defended the kingdom from Saddam. How was Saudi Arabia going to repel Saddam with indigenous forces? OBL’s mujahideen? Not likely, and certainly not without an interceding decade of Afghan-style horror.

When you read about how “they” hate us for having stationed troops on Saudi soil, keep in mind that “they” are really a small minority of religious extremists. Far more Saudis are grateful for the assist.

According to the report it was 50/50, rather than far more positive than not. And it’s still surprising that the view is more positive than Britain, even if America did protect the Saudis from an army that wasn’t really on their border, given that the British haven’t chased out the American bases and the Saudis have.

In war, some facts less factual

Some US assertions from the last war on Iraq still appear dubious.

By Scott Peterson | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

MOSCOW – When George H. W. Bush ordered American forces to the Persian Gulf – to reverse Iraq’s August 1990 invasion of Kuwait – part of the administration case was that an Iraqi juggernaut was also threatening to roll into Saudi Arabia.
Citing top-secret satellite images, Pentagon officials estimated in mid–September that up to 250,000 Iraqi troops and 1,500 tanks stood on the border, threatening the key US oil supplier.

E-mail this story

Write a letter to the Editor

Printer-friendly version

Permission to reprint/republish

Reporters on
the Job:

Scott Peterson gives you the story behind the story.

Related stories:

08/29/02

How dangerous is Iraq’s arsenal?

08/23/02

Iraq’s great unknowns

08/20/02

Russia’s newest tie to Iraq

08/19/02

Iraq war to carry a high tab

E-mail Newsletter

Get all of today’s headlines, or alerts on specific topics.
Subscribe for free.

But when the St. Petersburg Times in Florida acquired two commercial Soviet satellite images of the same area, taken at the same time, no Iraqi troops were visible near the Saudi border – just empty desert.

“It was a pretty serious fib,” says Jean Heller, the Times journalist who broke the story.

Tim has proven the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait never happened. We should apologize to both Tim and the St. Petersburg Times. She broke this story and continues to have a job. Thats better than I could ever do.

My reply is I find it pathetic that Tim has found proof that the Iraqi-Kuwaiti War is some sort of American Conspiricy. The St. Pete’s Times proved it though. Please Tim, give up!

What’s pathetic is your utter lack of understanding of Tim’s post. Operation Desert Shield saw thousands of American troops stationed in Saudi Arabia to defend the country against an Iraqi invasion force that – according to the Russian satellite photos – never existed.

Nobody is disputing that Iraq invaded Kuwait.

And I hope no one is disputing Iraqis with guns. An empty desert implies there was no one there to shoot back. But, It becomes funny when you believe it.

No invasion? Kuwait was done and the Iraqi military was set up for Saudi Ariabia, but Russian photos say no. So the Saudis, with access to American Sat-Phots just saw desert?

The US government proposed that there was an invasion force waiting on the Saudi border that they needed to be defended from. The Time magazine article suggests that this was a fabrication. Given the other acts of brazen propaganda used in that war, such as crying Nayirah’s speech to Congress, and the traditional love of conspiracy theories in the Middle East, which of the two versions of events do you think the Saudis believe? In the context of my reply to Daniel, that’s all I needed to show.

China will be the greatest threat to democracy in the next century imo, as you can see by these numbers. The time of the fascist dictatorships oppressing and denegrating their subjects is over. But what about the benevolent State? That gives it’s people health, wealth, and culture, but not freedom? And will the people of the third world care?