They're not even involved, but they still managed to retreat

French raise the white flag, and run the other way.

Heh - at this point I’m of the opinion that they’re merely trying to see how long the “France surrenders” joke can run.

As long as they keep this up, it can go on forever.

Well, what did you expect them to do, urge that Saddam be reinstated? Obviously no one liked the man and his regime. They just didn’t want to fight him.

Cutting the French et al. out of the reconstruction of Iraq would be the stupidest thing Bush could do, by the way. (Which means it’s probably going to happen.) After the war itself has gone surprisingly well, this would validate in retrospect whatever was said about America building its new global empire.

Or have him renege on the billions in debts he owed to France (and, incidentally, Germany and Russia…)

Cutting the French et al. out of the reconstruction of Iraq would be the stupidest thing Bush could do, by the way. (Which means it’s probably going to happen.) After the war itself has gone surprisingly well, this would validate in retrospect whatever was said about America building its new global empire.

Given that the United States is the supposed bastion on free trade, couldn’t they at least put the damn things out to bid on the international stage? I mean, seriously, we require local school districts to put purchases of damn near everything publicly out to bid, but the bidding for the process for the reconstruction of Iraq apparently happened in a smoke filled room with only a bunch of Cheney’s compadres invited.

Would love a explanation for how this is the french “running the other way”. Since the French demanded the UN find a solution before the war and now the French are demanding the UN oversee the transistion. Yep Chirac sure has done a 180.

or in simple terms so you can understand: pre-war chirac: we must work thru the UN… chrirac now: we must work thru the UN. and who dare say the average american is a moron?

No, you have it all wrong:

Pre-war Chirac: We won’t goto war until Saddam either A) Chemical bombs Paris, or B) Chemical bombs Geneve and takes out the UN. In the latter case, France would then proceed to take over Switzerland until the Swiss come running at them with empty beer-mugs and stale bread.

Post-war Chirac: Uh, hey, thanks for taking out Saddam. Really. We agree he should’ve been taken out. Ignore the fact that we said before that he shouldn’t be. Now he should be. Yeah. We agree… so… we’re in on this reconstruction thing, right? It would really suck for us not to be. I mean, we’re huge backers of the United Nations. Nevermind that we’re a charter member and will get a nice fat cut. Ignore the fact that Russia and Germany want in on this too, I mean, they weren’t making all that much supplying them with weapons, were they?

Thanks for playing, Efficacy.

Got a quote where a powerful German or French official say they want Saddam to remain in power?

Isn’t casting a VETO vote on the use of force in Iraq saying you’re okay with Saddam staying in power?

Jason, king of liberal spinning.

Right, because a war was the only way to get rid of him.

Yep.

LOL… okay, what is the other way?

Hey Saddam… you’re a dick. Will you pretty please step down and go do something else. Like maybe knit or play professional curling?

ROFL

Assassination? Bounty hunting? Endless cruise missile strikes on places he might be?

Come on, don’t be dense. Voting against a war to enforce WMD-related resolutions isn’t defacto support of Saddam, unless you subscribe to Orwell’s stupid “pacifism is objectively pro-fascist” line. He himself said it was dumb a few years later.

Assassination? Bounty hunting? Endless cruise missile strikes on places he might be?

You know, in some circles, those things would be considered acts of war. And we’ve been over the assassination thing so many times, I’m surprised you’d bring it up. If you think it’s so easy, why didn’t you give it a go? I’m sure you’d have been very successful.

I don’t feel so bad about freezing out France, et all. Those guys wanted in on the payout, they could’ve gotten on board back at the station. Instead they took pot shots at the engine. Why should we stop the train now so they can hop aboard? For legitimacy? Please, we all know that the US and Britan already have all the legitimacy Iraq’ll ever need. I don’t feel bad at all about letting our economies recoup some of the cost of liberating the country. If France and company want to help they can send food and forgive Iraq’s debts.

Jason I’m starting to think that ‘Wacky Sax’ should accompany all your posts and that you can’t get the ‘url’ function to work right and your posts should look like this:

As it is I’m gonna start ignoring all your posts till I can find ONE post where you agree with anybody ever.

Ewww, not that! Say it ain’t so!

I am feeling to lazy to do quotes but um “Chemical bombs Geneve and takes out the UN. In the latter case, France would then proceed to take over Switzerland until the Swiss come running at them with empty beer-mugs and stale bread.”

It is always supremely effective if your general knowledge of the topic in question is at least at the level of a high schooler. Which is to say since the UN is in New York I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. I will just pretend I am still ignorant of the fact that you responded to me with such fucking nonsense.

please Jakub explain this “french retreating”, i am still waiting with bated breath.

Here, perhaps I can make this a little easier for you to understand: The UN headquarters is in New York. The UN meeting grounds for discussing anything of importance is almost always in Geneve.

Thanks.

Here’s the official website for the UN Geneva Office. Had to do something with the old League of Nations headquarters.

ROFL!!!

Me don’t be dense? Okay, so endless cruise missiles into Iraq isn’t war? Somehow no civilians die if we send ENDLESS cruise missiles ? you are the biggest twit in history!!